No four wheel drive

hahnlb7

Apr 30, 2014
WV
I'm in the same boat. Except mine goes in 4wd then kicks itself out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Ok so here's what I did.
I drilled the rivots out, motor was SMOKED, took the guts out and spun the actuator out by hand, going to put it back together and screw whe back on just to make sure it won't try to spin back in.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
So, I put the actuator in and truck said service 4x4. Have to have the electronics from the actuator plugged in or the transfer will not kick in. I have not hooked it up to try it yet, but once I find the rest of the guts I'm going to try it

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Well, from what I can tell the front end is out.

Put the actuator back in screwed out, transfer kicked in finally and nothing.
Still says service four wheel drive.

I put a bar in the hole for the actuator and jacked up the passenger side and nothing, unless I wasn't putting out enough. So now what?

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
So, I have shit for tools as some of mine are scattered here and there, how hard is it to get the hub that the axle bolts to out without a slide hammer?

Also, anyone got a p/n or know where to get this collar for the front end?

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Easy to unbolt the cv from the inner axle. 2 nuts holding the axle tube near the frame and like 5 little bolts on the differential. Easy pezzy to remove.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
If I was gonna put a new collar in a truck I would try dhd billet one. The stock is like powdered metal. I think that's like 400 bucks. Or you could get the h2 or fleece axle shafts.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Ok, the actuator is out and unhooked

Turned on key, service four wheel drive is off now?
Transfer IS locked in, front end free spools, using a bar to shove in, got a small next to nothing grind one time. Like shits stripped clean, no bind no load, weird considering how clean the oil was metal wise

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I got that much, but I'm talking about where the CV bolts to, does that need removed?

That's the inner axle shaft. I would leave that in and just remove it while inside the axle tube. Other wise I guess the correct way would be to remove the whole front diff, but don't really need to do all that non sense.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Yeah if I remember right. I know you can get it off I'm pretty sure you can get it back in too without loosening the mount bolted through the frame too

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
I just finished shoveling my driveway, might start on it tonight or wait and take it to my friends shop.

Another reason I want a straight axle. Everything that did not break on my LLY it breaking on this one. And I was hard on my LLY, still can't grasp how this front end went out, it spun in mud in first gear for 20 ft the day before and that was it, it's been babied.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
Do most dealers keep this part in stock, don't have the time to wait to order one, and to be honest I hate to spent 400+ on the truck right now, I'm blessed everyday I don't get a phone call that I'm laid off, blowing money on my truck is not on my priority list.