NHRA IHRA Stock Elimanator GT Engine spec for DRAG RACING A DIESEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
I posted the rules on another thread , It was deleted . The problem is that NHRA required you to be a member to see their online rule book. but the motor has to use basically stock hard parts .
Unported heads
any cam as long as it does not have more then .425 lift at the valve
headers
any internal turbo mods , but the inducer must remain stock size
any size injector
single pump
any computer

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I posted the rules on another thread , It was deleted . The problem is that NHRA required you to be a member to see their online rule book. but the motor has to use basically stock hard parts .
Unported heads
any cam as long as it does not have more then .425 lift at the valve
headers
any internal turbo mods , but the inducer must remain stock size
any size injector
single pump
any computer
And if you weren't such a dumbass you would just take that essay, copy/paste to a word document and attach it here but no, easier just to keep bitching about it.

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
Nope just working to push diesel in to the mainstream spotlight. Spent about 10 hours this week helping the sport. This and working to help two others off this forum pick a class and advising them how this works.

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
Nope just working to push diesel in to the mainstream spotlight. Spent about 10 hours this week helping the sport. This and working to help two others off this forum pick a class and advising them how this works.

Why don't you race NHRDA? You have three events that are in reasonable driving distance from your location. If you are talking national level you are going to have to travel regardless of the organization, NHRA/NHRDA/NADM, etc.

Most local tracks will already let us race and really don't care what kind of vehicle you have as long as it's safe, and don't forget good old grudge racing on T&T nights.

I think the biggest problem with our sport is COST! When I go to an NHRDA event I really only care about watching Super Street and faster, heads up racing, although the 11.90 and 10.90 classes have been picking up. The budget to chase points in the NHRDA with SS or faster has to be well over 100K a year something most of us can’t afford.

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
I run NADM, that is a diesel only organization. Most of the NHRDA events are the same weekend as NHRA events that I run for grade points.

on a side not was told I would have to change my number, REALLY

I run one diesel organization , so you can't say I don't t support diesel motorsports , I just choose to go with a organization that I believe it.

Last edited:

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
The motor will be a 2005 LLY 305 hp ,
head casting 8gf1

I don't agree with that low of a hp rating , but the first time someone run 2 seconds under the index it will change.

There is some confusion , This is not a stock eliminator class but a Stock Engine blue print . The only place to run the motor will be in Super Stock GT Car Super Stock GT/ Truck .

I am asking that they make and excepting to the 1/2 deal so that we could get a stock class , I am still looking for shipping weight on a 2005 single cab 2500 4X2 with a duramax I am guessing its around 5500 lbs . so at 305 hp and shipping weight or 5500

would be in R/SA 14.05 1/4 and 08.85 1/8 index . The record is 13.00 @102.22

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
So the only engine you can have is a 2005 LLY rated at 305hp???

No provisions for the Cummins or Powerstroke engines for this class/sector?? IDK anything about the ratings for the PS but I'm pretty sure one of the CR Cummins around 04.5 or 05 was rated at 305hp/555tq too. That's why I asked about those.

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
if the Cummins or Power stroke guys want a class they can start the 5 year process. You have to get the manufactory to submit the engine specs to NHRA for approval

They will need bore deck , head casting Turbo casting

here is the specs for a simple one I am working on for a friend its a 1990 SS454 truck

95007667-9aaf-414c-b22e-9a422b0e5a6e_zpsidosbbtb.png

and here is the Vehicles classification

notice what NHRA calls shipping weight and NHRA factored hp , This motor is rated at 255 factory but NHRA rates it at 305

0c83d93f-8f88-4579-ad20-ea6d1868a985_zps78faemvk.png

The 2005 was a good basic Duramax that does not have a lot of complicated piping , Remember to can run any computer so it really does not mater what year it is .

Last edited:

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
here are the rules direct from the rule book .

ok , I can't see these , maybe its my computer , if you want the rule book PM me and ill send you the PDF its 400+ pages long

5bd49d9a-464a-4bcf-800e-56779aa48a11_zpsnohrdzkr.png

c54c4c4d-cbb2-4095-9130-0c543afc4299_zps1tzoxfua.png

7541599c-3773-43d6-963a-8f6e6ac48b53_zpslxwzz9ap.png

Last edited:

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
ok, to answer another question , this is not a Diesel VS Diesel class. This class will be running gasoline powered race cars and trucks. I believe that a turbo diesel would be in the hands of a good racer deadly consistent with respects to density altitude changes

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Do they not understand there is no advantage in running any Duramax ranging from 01+? That's pretty dumb if you HAVE to run LLY castings

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
Do they not understand there is no advantage in running any Duramax ranging from 01+? That's pretty dumb if you HAVE to run LLY castings

This is just the way NHRA does stock, In some stock classes You can use NHRA approved aftermarket heads . Edelbrock has the most NHRA approved heads for stock out there. I will work on getting the Edelbrock head approved , but the aftermarket usually come with a 15 to 20 hp added.

So how much power to you think you can make under these rules.

take a stock motor You can use a aftermarket rod if the manufacture gets it on the Stock approved list , which is not really hard to do .
The rod must weigh the same or more then stock. Same with the piston.

So this motor will have a set of good rods , forged pistons. You can do any CNC valve job you want . Bore the motor .080 over and .015 on stroke.Any cam you want as long as you stay under .425 lift at the valve.

Any ECM or aftermarket ECM if on the approved list
Any size injector, and stock appearing pump.
here is the turbo rules

TURBOCHARGERS
Turbocharger size will be verified by measuring the housing bore at the leading edge of the impeller wheel. The maximum diameter of the housing bore at the leading edge of the wheel may not exceed 2mm more than the maximum allowable turbocharger size permitted.

So do you think you can make 600 hp at the flywheel , that's all it will take at first .

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
600hp would be very conservative, Mark has been building some 2.5" stock chargers that'll do over 600 rwhp. What about multiple cp3? I think a single will suffice under the lack of air.

If I was running this new class, the motor would be stock with bigger injectors and turbo work. No reason to go all out engine build for sub 700hp in a light truck.

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
600hp would be very conservative, Mark has been building some 2.5" stock chargers that'll do over 600 rwhp. What about multiple cp3? I think a single will suffice under the lack of air.

If I was running this new class, the motor would be stock with bigger injectors and turbo work. No reason to go all out engine build for sub 700hp in a light truck.

You are 100% .right , You will only be able to run one pump . I would think you would get close to 700 hp at the flywheel

The only reason to do rods and pistons is the rev the motor up a little .
as the people start to go faster and faster the hp rating of the motor will get raised.

There may be a few of them , I know of two outside the diesel world that are Stock racers and looing at it.

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
So with the rules the way they are:

No nitrous
No 3/4 ton or bigger
No 4x4

I think that is going to be a hard sell...if I am going to build a purpose built diesel race truck I am going to use the NHRDA and my local track.

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
the thing about this class is there are 15 races with 300 miles of you. NHRA National in Dallas , Topeka, Memphis, NHRA sports National in Bell rose. NHRA divisionals in all of those places plus Shervport and Red line. IHRA National in San Antonio, Tulsa and one other. the IHRA divisions are two events in one weekend.

This is a class of skill , and tuning

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

The o/p has no idea the actual power potential of a Duramax engine, has no idea of the incremental changes done over the years to the emgine design which will preclude the rules he is proposing to the NHRA, let alone the understanding the limitations/upgrades of a stock engine. It pains me to no end that he thinks he's the "spokeman for all things Duramax" when it comes to racing when he doesnt even know the basics. :doh:

COMP461

Diesel Pro
Apr 29, 2008
Aledo Texas
This class give the people that want to race, a place. There are over 100 events to race this class a year. This class is not a inexpensive class. This is a purpose built race truck, that will take a lot of engineering and thought.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Sorry Greg, if I was going to spend money to built a dmax powered race vehicle then it sure as hell won't be for a stock motor spec'd index class, wtf are you smoking??? Do you ever listen to yourself???

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
So with the rules the way they are:

No nitrous
No 3/4 ton or bigger
No 4x4

I think that is going to be a hard sell...if I am going to build a purpose built diesel race truck I am going to use the NHRDA and my local track.

X2.

Status
Not open for further replies.