New chevy diesel rumor??

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org

That's freakin amazing on a stock block.

It would be interesting to see if a 5.3 with the different stroke, rod length/angle, and different piston tops would have faired as well?

I'm sure better than the old 5.7, but sometimes factors other than displacement affect overall power (especially on a force fed motor). Normally aspirated is usually a case of "no replacement for displacement", on a forced induction motor (depending on the platform), bigger is not always better.

Platinumb

Nov 11, 2012
I agree & disagree. The 5.7 design was capable of 200,000 pretty easily. I have had 2 Chevy suburbans that ran 5.3 engines & neither of them made it 50,000 miles without engine knock & oil consumption. Dealer wound up replacing both engines. I went online & read about a lot of the problems associated with the 5.3 anyway. We had one 6.0 in 2000 and the damn thing sounded like it was starved for oil when first fired up it rattled the top end so bad. The ls is definitely more efficient and capable of a lot more power but the 5.7 was a great engine for sure.

Wow, I guess we have been lucky one of my trucks is a Chevy 1500 with the 5.3 it has 382k on it. Never a problem with the engine. Tranny is a different story it's on it's 3rd but still not too bad considering its a work truck that gets hammered by employees.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
LQ9 if its an iron block,LS2 is its not, but the alphabet soup motors are all the same generation to generation. Head bolt patterns may change etc.

LQ9 was the higher compression 02-06 escalade engine.

LQ4 was the "garden variety" Gen III 6.0.

In 07.5 it changed to the LY6, which is the Gen IV version of the 6.0, with VVT.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Wow I didn't think I was that far behind on the new gas motors. The car industry is leaving me behind :( guess that's what happens when you arent a mechanic anymore. I have some research ahead of me.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
the 5.3 and 4.8 LS engines are reported to support over 1000 hp on stock internals thanks to extensive dyno testing
[edit]
Wiki my friends :) Chevrolet has done a lot in the past 10 years. All kinds of different models

What is the reason for sodium filled valves?

Last edited:

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Hmm that's the first I have seen that. I found this also which I can't see being a dime a dozen.

LSX
At the 2006 SEMA show, GM Performance Parts introduced the LSX engine, an all-new cast-iron racing block based on the LS7 engine. It was designed with help from drag racing legend Warren Johnson. It offers displacements ranging from 364 cubic inches to 511 cubic inches (4.25*in (108*mm) Bore x 4.5*in (110*mm) Stroke) and is capable of withstanding 2,500*bhp (1,900*kW). This block incorporates two extra rows of head-bolt holes per bank for increased clamping capacity. The six bolt steel main caps are the same ones used on the LS7 engine. The engine debuted at the auto show in a customized 1969 Camaro owned by Reggie Jackson. The LSX will be available starting the second quarter of 2007, set to be available in authorized dealerships and retailers on March 31, 2007.[10]