New chevy diesel rumor??

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Anyone want to guess how many times ford was gettng a CAT engine in their F-250s? at least once a year

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
All i hear is dodge is now putting an Allison behind the 6.7 cummins. Newest one is that the new G56 manuals in dodges are a allison trans. Called the allimax or something.

Yes, these are nearly direct quotes from idiots that ive talked to.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
GM already has the small diesel in the Colorado and cruze this summer, Americans don't like diesel.

Dodge is going with the little diesel in an effort to compete with ecoboost.

GM has a twin turbo V6 coming down the line. Doubt a 1500 diesel will happen for GM

o4dirtymax

Dec 17, 2012
CA
does he work at the dmax plant?? If so im jealous, thats my dream job. ha ha

No, he's an engineer and does testing but he drives a dmax and seems to be in the know about stuff haha. There's a tight clique of younger engineers out there and he said if there was talk about it he'd think one of his buds would have heard about it. He's also my personal GM parts dealer lol

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
No, he's an engineer and does testing but he drives a dmax and seems to be in the know about stuff haha. There's a tight clique of younger engineers out there and he said if there was talk about it he'd think one of his buds would have heard about it. He's also my personal GM parts dealer lol

nice i need that hook up.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

I think I know who your cousin is. ;) IIRC, he works with my nephew. :thumb:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Has anyone heard the rumor about chevy teaming up with John Deere and utilizing one of their engines in the future pickups???? Just curious.

ugh where do people come up with this stuff. All the John deere nutswingers out there making up lies/fables in hopes they will come true I guess..

GM has zero stake in john deere, they've never collaborated with john deere on anything, and they already have all the knowledge they need (that they gained from isuzu with the 6.6) to build a great diesel fully in-house.

Figuring all that ^, why would they even think about outsourcing something? It makes absolutely no economic sense.

When the Isuzu 8GF1 architecture is retired (ie, the 6.6 dmax architecture that we know now), the next diesel in the HD pickup trucks will be GM in-house designed. This will be probably sometime around 2016.

ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I have heard similar. Why screw with a good thing?

because emissions. the 8GF1 architecture can only be tweaked/stretched so much before the base engine design just becomes too old and outdated to pass the increasingly-stringent emissions standards.

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
yup what he said its just like back in the days of the small block 350 its was good for a long time but in the end its easy and cheaper to build something new rather than try and make the old one work

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
yup what he said its just like back in the days of the small block 350 its was good for a long time but in the end its easy and cheaper to build something new rather than try and make the old one work

And its a good thing they retired the "old" smallblock. Back in the mid/late 90's, everyone thought the traditional small block was the epitome of an awesome gas V8 engine and "why mess with an awesome thing!!??".

And then the LSx came out and blew the old small block clear out of the water in every way. I mean yeah the classic small blocks are good engines, but I consider them nothing more than boat anchors when put next to the LSx small blocks. Theres nothing an "old traditional" small block can do that an LSx cant do 10x better for the same cost.

GM knows they have some pretty big shoes to fill and an excellent reputation to live up to when they replace the current Isuzu 8GF1 6.6 architecture. (which, like I said, will probably be sometime around 2016) They have their work cut out for them and Im sure the "next gen" duramax will be awesome, even though it will no longer be based on the Isuzu design.

ben

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
And its a good thing they retired the "old" smallblock. Back in the mid/late 90's, everyone thought the traditional small block was the epitome of an awesome gas V8 engine and "why mess with an awesome thing!!??".

And then the LSx came out and blew the old small block clear out of the water in every way. I mean yeah the classic small blocks are good engines, but I consider them nothing more than boat anchors when put next to the LSx small blocks. Theres nothing an "old traditional" small block can do that an LSx cant do 10x better for the same cost.

GM knows they have some pretty big shoes to fill and an excellent reputation to live up to when they replace the current Isuzu 8GF1 6.6 architecture. (which, like I said, will probably be sometime around 2016) They have their work cut out for them and Im sure the "next gen" duramax will be awesome, even though it will no longer be based on the Isuzu design.

ben

yes they do and I can't wait as a person who has put a LS motor in an old vehicle after that i have sworn to never put a carborated motor in a vehichle again I went LS and never looked back......and I thank a buddy of mine who said it is just as easy to put a LS1 in as it is to put a LT1. GM made a homerun with their LS motors and will again with their own diesel.....can't wait.