New chevy diesel rumor??

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The early DOD 5.3's had some issues with oil consumption.

But the non-DOD 5.3's and current DOD 5.3's are fine.

The LSx engines are many times over better engines in every single way than the old iron boat anchor classic small blocks. How many 5.3's are there out there? So you heard of a couple here and there that had sticking rings and oil consumption issues (which, as I said, were isolated to the 06-09 DOD motors)...big deal. They are awesome engines and the majority of them will go much longer than the bodies of the trucks they are in.

And the piston slap issue on the early 6.0's, so it "SOUNDED" like it was going to come apart on cold startus. DID it ACTUALLY come apart? No, it didnt. It was a mere annoyance that doesnt actually cause any harm or shorten the life of the engine. I personally/first-hand know of several early 6.0's out there in abused work trucks with 650,000 miles on them. For 600,000 of those miles, they have been "SOUNDING LIKE" they were coming apart on cold startup. However strangely enough, the trucks are still running fine.

If they are "nowhere near a solid platform" like you claim, then why can you buy them for 200 bucks all day long. Because they're in such high demand because they're so unreliable?

I challenge someone to find me another "more solid platform" gas engine that will take 4 times its rated HP on a stock long block and not complain one bit. Then Ill agree with you that the 5.3 is "far from a solid platform". Or another gas engine platform that is cheaper to take to 1000hp.

As far as Im concerned, personally, ill defend the reliability and longevity of the LSx before I defend the reliability/longevity of the duramax.

WHEN the injectors on your LB7 go bad, thats going to cost you $1800ish just in parts, not counting labor. Do you have any idea how many times you can replace the entire 5.3 in a suburban for $1800? ;)

rant off :)

ben

x1000 saying a 5.3 is not a solid platform you might as well say the same for the duramax because they have way less problems and are 10 times cheaper to maintain and repair.

We have a 99 sierra at work with 270,000 miles only things been replaced on the motor are the plugs and the water pump

we have a 01 lb7 dually at work with 250,000 on its 4th set of injectors and needs head gaskets

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I have an 02 silverado with the 4.8, it has 305k on it and it runs great. It knocks like hell for about 30 seconds or so every morning but after that its slick as a whistle.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Show me a 5.3 that has had 20psi on it and lasted a full racing season.

In stock form, sure they last forever, but the whole cheap/go fast thing, is annoying. :joker:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

In stock form, sure they last forever, but the whole cheap/go fast thing, is annoying. :joker:

www.sloppymechanics.com <--- I know these guys, they are the kings of LSx cheap/go-fast

I still maintain my opinion that the old small blocks are boat anchors next to the LSx. Sorry about your luck with the THREE bad experiences you had with the LSx, but 98% of people will disagree with you.

LSx doesnt have the resume that the 350 does? Come on.... The majority of 350's will be tired out by 200,000 miles. Leaking valve seals, leaking intake manifold gaskets (I guarantee there isnt one Gen I small block out there with >100k miles that hasnt had its intake manifold gaskets replaced), etc. Not to mention the stupid spider-injection setup (CPI) they had.

The majority of LSx's will still be in brand-new condition internally at 200,000 miles.

500rwhp out of a 350, you're opening up your wallet pretty wide, and doing a full engine rebuild with aftermarket this, billet that, blah blah. And then you have to do all that with a carb/distributor setup and deal with all the little annoyances of that, because the Gen I fuel injection systems (TBI/CPI) are a joke when it comes to making big power.

500rwhp out of a 5.3, stuff an LS6 or ZR1 cam in it, get some crappy chinese turbo off ebay, plug in EFILive/HPT, and spray the balls off of it. The LSx engines love boost, even in stock form. And if it only lasts half a season before puking its guts? Big deal. Go to the junk yard and get another one for $200! :D

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
lets see a 305 (the 4.8 LSx was the replacement for the worthless Gen I 305) do this on a stock long block. bwaahhahaha

[YOUTUBE]v4fslg_tdLo[/YOUTUBE]

Not bad for a platform thats "nowhere near solid", as you guys say. :rolleyes:

I wonder if 919rwhp with a stock long block is on the 305's "resume" or, even the 350's for that matter?

disclaimer: yes the above truck did finally blow up at around 950rwhp (its been running 550rwhp since early 2010, and then cranked up from there, 600rwhp since 2011, 700rwhp for the past year and a half), and hundreds of 1/4 mile passes later. And keep in mind, thats not even a 5.3. Its a 4.8. GM designed this engine to make a lowly 260hp at the crank from the factory.

Just think how awesome these engines will be when GM finally figures out how to make them "solid" or at least "close to solid"!!!!!!!!!!! :D

More silly tech about these "marginal" "work in progress" LSx engines.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/...53l_gen_iii_small_block_for_3252/viewall.html

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1109_stock_gm_ls_engine_big_bang_theory/

TDFDiesel

I'm That Guy
Jan 6, 2011
Mesa, AZ

Why measure in PSI, why not measure in HP?

People swap them in because they hold up well for the cost, it's never "cheap" to go fast, but the LSx platform was one of the best I've seen. People swap these into EVERYTHING and every make.

Here's one from Performance Trucks that just failed after a LOT of abuse.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBcln--1CLw[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBcln--1CLw

[YOUTUBE]http://youtu.be/02nFiF4W6ZY[/YOUTUBE]

http://youtu.be/02nFiF4W6ZY

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I am not saying you can't do what people obviously do, that would be silly.

All I am saying is there is no real presence in the actual racing scene with em, sure you have guys like denmah running really fast times, but does he do it to win points races? No.

So again, find me a non dyno queen only, stock 4.8/5.3/6.0 running competitively in x275 or similar.

Just playing devils advocate, the same reason you guys get annoyed at stupid little kids asking which tuner is best and will a 200hp tune hold up fine on a stock 5 speed, is similar to this new craze of racing a pile of crap down the track. Most of it is jealousy though :roflmao:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
There is a shop on my area that specializes in building the 5.3 platform. His builds are very fast and they seem to be holding up very well, I am seriously considering buying a short bed 2wheel drive to let him work his magic. In comparison to what it costs to build a Duramax who cares if a short block fails, the blocks a a dime a dozen and my tech can build a 5.3 in a day and have it back in the truck ready to go...:woott:

This is half the reasoning in why I stopped modding my truck...;)

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
because emissions. the 8GF1 architecture can only be tweaked/stretched so much before the base engine design just becomes too old and outdated to pass the increasingly-stringent emissions standards.

Ultimax is what I heard the new platform development is called. I can't wait to see what they come out with. I also heard that Garrett is out and Borgwarner is in for the turbo supplier...

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
I'd agree with that. The 5.3 is nowhere near a solid platform, sticking rings and using oil in a $45,000 SUV would pass me off big time. I think it has a lot to do with the flex fuel crap, shutting off cylinders when it wants, etc...

As for the OPs post, where do these rumors come from? What interest would john Deere have in getting into the on-road market? Cat got out of the over the road business, there was a reason...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

That's from the Displacement on Demand. Had an engine replaced in our Impala SS because of that. The base non DOD 5.3 has no issues really.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ultimax is what I heard the new platform development is called

no, thats what the idiots at Diesel Power wrote in some stupid article 4 years ago. Stop pretending like you're on the inside of some secret circle and know something about the next dmax that everyone else doesnt. They (diesel power) said the 2011 duramax was going to be 6.9 liter, and that it was going to be called "ultimax". Obviously that was dead wrong.

Shows how much Diesel Power knows....

Its (the ~2015/2016) going to be called Duramax. Why would GM change the name??? The name "duramax" has built up a good reputation over the past 12 years, so dont you think it would be a dumb marketing move to make up a new name, and then have to wait another 12 years before THAT new name has a good reputation?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I am not saying you can't do what people obviously do, that would be silly.

All I am saying is there is no real presence in the actual racing scene with em, sure you have guys like denmah running really fast times, but does he do it to win points races? No.

So again, find me a non dyno queen only, stock 4.8/5.3/6.0 running competitively in x275 or similar.

Just playing devils advocate, the same reason you guys get annoyed at stupid little kids asking which tuner is best and will a 200hp tune hold up fine on a stock 5 speed, is similar to this new craze of racing a pile of crap down the track. Most of it is jealousy though :roflmao:

www.sloppymechanics.com

search youtube for 9-second ford fairmont. Or any other car that the sloppy mechanics crew builds.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
www.sloppymechanics.com

search youtube for 9-second ford fairmont. Or any other car that the sloppy mechanics crew builds.

Yea, I am well aware of their stuff, I am a member on tech.

I could take a old third gen with a poorly built 350, carb nitrous plate, and slicks, hit it with a 200 shot and run 9s as well. Would it last a full racing season? Doubt it.

Still avoiding the question of will they last in competition aspects, not just a few times down the track or on the dyno for kids to fawn over online.

Edit: Do not take this as me being argumentative, just on my soap box

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
no, thats what the idiots at Diesel Power wrote in some stupid article 4 years ago. Stop pretending like you're on the inside of some secret circle and know something about the next dmax that everyone else doesnt. They (diesel power) said the 2011 duramax was going to be 6.9 liter, and that it was going to be called "ultimax". Obviously that was dead wrong.

Shows how much Diesel Power knows....

Its (the ~2015/2016) going to be called Duramax. Why would GM change the name??? The name "duramax" has built up a good reputation over the past 12 years, so dont you think it would be a dumb marketing move to make up a new name, and then have to wait another 12 years before THAT new name has a good reputation?

Funny how you skipped over the Borgwarner part huh?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Funny how you skipped over the Borgwarner part huh?

Yeah, I didnt bother asking about that for the sole reason that I knew your response would be "oh well I know someone at GM powertrain and have super special secret knowledge, and I cant say anymore"

TDFDiesel

I'm That Guy
Jan 6, 2011
Mesa, AZ
Yea, I am well aware of their stuff, I am a member on tech.

I could take a old third gen with a poorly built 350, carb nitrous plate, and slicks, hit it with a 200 shot and run 9s as well. Would it last a full racing season? Doubt it.

Still avoiding the question of will they last in competition aspects, not just a few times down the track or on the dyno for kids to fawn over online.

Edit: Do not take this as me being argumentative, just on my soap box

I'm not sure I follow you exactly, but someone competing for "point/money" is likely going to build their engine even if the stock "could" hold up in most situations.

The LSx platform has out performed previous platforms and lasted longer then anybody expected it to with abuse nobody expected it to take.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I'm not sure I follow you exactly, but someone competing for "point/money" is likely going to build their engine even if the stock "could" hold up in most situations.

The LSx platform has out performed previous platforms and lasted longer then anybody expected it to with abuse nobody expected it to take.

I am agreeing with the point that you can toss a ton of boost at em and they respond well.

Only argument is their practicality in anything sort of competitive race car that is more than just a few runs and a dyno here and there. People seem to claim that they will last forever, or that they can just swap an engine out cheap.

IDK, its been a long day :rofl:

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I have since reading this thread talked to several gm mechanic friends of mine and they all have had good things to say other than one 5.3 with the valves stuck open.