Need a rebuild in ohio!

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
As another average joe, I too look at kits and read information about allison builds and think to myself, "why the heck does Mike and others make this stuff sound like its a secret recipe that is highly seasoned with special ingredients?". I build racing shocks for a living, and after all the time I have in doing them, I can virtually do them in my sleep now. Double adjustables etc..no problem. I then get a reality check of the complexity, and how you have to train yourself to understand EVERYTHING that goes into it when I try explaining this stuff to people. Everything "seems" rather simple when you look at the big picture from a distance. Get up close with a magnifying class and once you see the small details to ANY project, and see what makes or breaks it, you then see the complexity of that project. It's easy to think guys like Mike are trying to make building an allison seem difficult to discourage the average joe into not doing it himself. :eek: I have alot of respect for guys like Mike, Idaho Rob, just people in general who specialize in areas like they do. It takes alot of time, dedication, and passion :thumb:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
As another average joe, I too look at kits and read information about allison builds and think to myself, "why the heck does Mike and others make this stuff sound like its a secret recipe that is highly seasoned with special ingredients?". I build racing shocks for a living, and after all the time I have in doing them, I can virtually do them in my sleep now. Double adjustables etc..no problem. I then get a reality check of the complexity, and how you have to train yourself to understand EVERYTHING that goes into it when I try explaining this stuff to people. Everything "seems" rather simple when you look at the big picture from a distance. Get up close with a magnifying class and once you see the small details to ANY project, and see what makes or breaks it, you then see the complexity of that project. It's easy to think guys like Mike are trying to make building an allison seem difficult to discourage the average joe into not doing it himself. :eek: I have alot of respect for guys like Mike, Idaho Rob, just people in general who specialize in areas like they do. It takes alot of time, dedication, and passion :thumb:

You sound like you'd be a great resource for info on setting up suspensions. Thats really where a lot of guys need help at the track.

As for transmissions, that is one area I will not even attempt to try my hand at. There's a lot more voodoo into a good, reliable Allison build than just tossing in a SC kit and measuring clearances.

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
I ended up finding a built trans off a member here built by fleece. Pretty pumped and cant wait for it. Has a 1053 converter in it though with a 2800 stall. Will this be good for daily driving? Maybe id be better off selling it and putting something else in? Stock turbo for now on my lly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I ended up finding a built trans off a member here built by fleece. Pretty pumped and cant wait for it. Has a 1053 converter in it though with a 2800 stall. Will this be good for daily driving? Maybe id be better off selling it and putting something else in? Stock turbo for now on my lly.

You might not like the stall with your setup.

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Hmmm decisions decisions haha being that i have very limited time to do work on my own truck i kinda want it to be a done deal from the get go but we all know how that goes. Guess ill just try it out and go from there.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland

a 2800 stall is actually a 10531 converter.
That would be ridiculous to run with a stock turbo.
Get a 1058 at most for that turbo.
Do not even waste your time installing it in my opinion.

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
He said it was 1053-3 so not sure. Think anyone would trade for one suitable for my application?

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
The 1057 is good for a stock turbo.

I am not sure on the 1057 but the 1056 has a stock stator, and the 1058 has a billet stator.
If the 1057 had a billet stator I would agree that is the best.

And it is upgrade time for a lot of guys, post a thread in garage sale. It would be a good trade as you have an expensive tc there.

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Ok says 1057 has modified stock stator, what would be a good stall for my application? Its a street truck and i run it hard, occasional drag and pulls in work stock

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I'm pretty sure the 1056 had a modified stock cast stator,unless that has changed since it first came out. I thought that's why the 1056 was $200 cheaper than all the other Suncoast converter's. Maybe Mike or Andrew can confirm this!

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com
I just purchased a 1056 a few months ago, and suncaost told me it has a billet stator in it. I made a point to ask about it, and the individual I talked to had been there 4 years, and in that time they have always had billet stators. Have you ever even purchased a 1056? How the heck do you get by owning a diesel shop and not knowing basic IMPORTANT information like that?

you should really stop trying to pimp your business up on here..

Just curious who told you the 56 has a billet stator in it at SC?

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
Just curious who told you the 56 has a billet stator in it at SC?

Not sure who he was, I called this morning to confirm if it had a billet stator. I asked to talk to yourself, but the girl that I was talking had said you were unloading a transmission with a customer I believe.

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Anyhow when i get this new trans home im gonna call suncoast and talk to someone about getting a right convertor for my truck. Thank you all for the help especially MikeL

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
I've noticed a lot of confusion lately on Suncoast converters. After finally tuning my trans a little more im happy with my 1058 for now :D:D:woott:. BUT maybe Andrew can clear a lot of these confusions up for us? Which converters have billet stators, which do not? I was told to "not believe everything i read" and I called suncoast and the gentleman i spoke with there said theyre website was not "worded correctly" and "out of date" . Please dont take this post wrong whatsoever, I think Suncoast is top notch quality, however can someone clear up the confusion ? Its probably not a yes or no answer in some cases but what could it hurt? Update the website it would prove worthwhile so you're not having to spend your time answering questions that get asked multiple times. :thumb:

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
Dmitri Millard is the only way to go. Can't even explain how much better his are compared to longhornfabshops. Dmitri knows his stuff and it will be built the same day. 4900$ if your dropping it. Takes him 5 hours if that and he will come to your house. Hell of a guy and trans.;)