My RCLB (SB eventually) build thread

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Here's the chunk missing from the upper oil pan

ny3u8usu.jpg

Trans is ready to be pulled tomorrow morning to get the last two bolts holding the upper oil pan in. What a pain to replace that thing. Only thing left on the truck is the cab , wheels/tires, engine and some brake lines :rofl:

I was thinking while the truck is getting shortened I'm going to leave the trans out and build it.

What should I do as far as building the trans? Truck will be stock turbo forever I hope but I know how that goes. Really want to rebuild it myself for the experience since I'm doing most of the work on the truck. I also have 4 gm techs the swing of a door away if I run into trouble, plus all the tools I would ever need they loan to me :hug: Some awesome guys at New Prague Chevy.

Should I just give Mike L a call tomorrow, build what you can afford right?

I was thinking Mikes kit, converter and C3 oiler. No billet input or output shafts. Want to address the pump rub issue as well and a transfer case brace.

Flywheel?

Very new to this.

Also the first flywheel bolt was a pain because the way the frame is bent I can't pull the starter aside very much. After the first it was a breeze though. :)

I have the start of an addiction to Snap-On, Mac and Matco Tools. :roflmao:

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I always remove the starter completly, only 2 wires and then its out of the way. I would not worry about a aftermarket flywheel or billet input-output shafts on a stock turbo/fueled truck. I would suggest picking up a ATSG manual, You can get them off Ebay for like $25 bucks or suncoast sells them for a little more. You could call Mike and I suppose if your apart of the 'IN' crew he might sell you parts;) I'm not so I just ordered parts from Andrew at Suncoast to Refreshen my transmission thats currently sitting on the stand.. Biggest hurdle with building it your self is taking your time to make sure everything is clean and all the clutch packs are in spec. Just because you buy a kit does not guarantee everything will fit your particular trans correctly (In Spec)...

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
I was thinking Mikes kit, converter and C3 oiler. No billet input or output shafts. Want to address the pump rub issue as well and a transfer case brace.

Flywheel?

I would do the ML-G converter. Thats my plan for my stock turbo lb7.

Not sure on the flywheel/flexplate. I think they become an issue around 1000ft pounds.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
New upper pan is in and rtv is curing overnight

That Allison is a heavy pig... I had a harder time pulling the transfer case off though because of a cross member on the lift

e2y2ysa3.jpg

u2urynab.jpg

asupe8y3.jpg

upymuby9.jpg

eruzu3eh.jpg

ba8ehaje.jpg

Got the upper oil pan out without having to remove the flywheel to access the two rear bolts for the upper pan. :D Ball peen hammer and a chisel broke them loose so I could thread them out. I put medium grade thread locker on them on the way back in and they are definitely tight.

Still need to call around about getting a trans rebuild kit and converter.

Crank looked good and clean while I looked it over.

First trans I've ever removed, what better way to start.

I always remove the starter completly, only 2 wires and then its out of the way. I would not worry about a aftermarket flywheel or billet input-output shafts on a stock turbo/fueled truck. I would suggest picking up a ATSG manual, You can get them off Ebay for like $25 bucks or suncoast sells them for a little more. You could call Mike and I suppose if your apart of the 'IN' crew he might sell you parts;) I'm not so I just ordered parts from Andrew at Suncoast to Refreshen my transmission thats currently sitting on the stand.. Biggest hurdle with building it your self is taking your time to make sure everything is clean and all the clutch packs are in spec. Just because you buy a kit does not guarantee everything will fit your particular trans correctly (In Spec)...

I couldn't remove the starter because the frame was pushed in so bad on the pass side there was no clearance. Got it out today though when I jacked up the trans to get it loose from the engine.

Doubt I'm part of the "in" crew but it can't hurt to give it a shot. Was going to call him today but got busy. There have been a few of my buddy's transmissions sent to California because I said he is one of the best.

Last edited:

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Bringing the trans to my dad's shop to build it, WAY too picky/OCD to work in limited space with 5 people walking by when I can have all sorts of space at home.

9y7e5ube.jpg

Dropped off my driveshaft to get shortened this morning, should be ready Monday.

Last edited:

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Thanks!

Got my driveshaft back today

20130114_134903.jpg

Also dropped the fuel tank. So much for it being empty. The gauge read empty but there has to be 12-15 gallons in the damn thing.

20130114_182136.jpg

If you look on the passenger side frame rail where it's boxed you will see how much dirt is caked on this frame. It took me forever to drop the tank and pull the fuel pickup out. There has easily been 100+ pounds of dirt pulled off so far. Just getting the tank straps out took a BFH and chisels to get the cemented dirt out.

I put oil back in it today, just let the RTV cure over the weekend on the upper and lower oil pans.

Pulled the up-pipe heat shields off, passenger up pipe, and downpipe as well. Its way easier to take off when the trans isn't in the way or working from the topside laying on a couch pillow. :roflmao:

Not much else I can do till the frame is done. I suck at welding so that's something I won't attempt.

Nice, one of my trans cooler lines is leaking a little bit. It would be nice to ditch the crappy stock style lines. Is there a writeup thread on here for the way you're doing it?

Sorry....missed this.....I got these lines from Alligator.

I am taking them to the place were we buy our construction equipment from to see how much it is to have another set made up. It just hydraulic hose and basic parker fittings and some washers.

Last edited:

Combine Pilot

They Call Me Mike
Feb 7, 2010
Saskatchewan
I am taking them to the place were we buy our construction equipment from to see how much it is to have another set made up. It just hydraulic hose and basic parker fittings and some washers.

I would like to know what you find out since I have a hydraulic hose machine and could make my own kit. :)

mpeters0991

Aug 17, 2010
Southeast Iowa
I did mine here the other day and I told myself I was going to take measurements but I only remembered to measure the long one :banghead:

I'm not home right now but if I remember right it was like 75 1/2".