Allison 5sp: MY OWN tap-shifter...

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
the problem with that would be where would you mount it?? If someone can figure a good place I might consider making something like that. Probably need a square area about 1.5" x 3" with maybe 1.5" of available depth behind it.

Dec 2, 2006
TN
the problem with that would be where would you mount it?? If someone can figure a good place I might consider making something like that. Probably need a square area about 1.5" x 3" with maybe 1.5" of available depth behind it.

Maybe move the AirBag switch behind the dash and use that whole little area? Or the little area above the switch.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
or maybe a simpler variation...just a normal switch that has back-lit numbers???

I hope Rob will forgive me for using his picture as an example. :)

1261246191718-1026323298.jpeg

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It would be really sweet if you could use a membrane switch with up and down buttons.

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
sorry for the absolutely horrible video. Its dark, cant see anything, im trying to film, drive and shift all at the same time, (im sure the neens will give me shit about whatever crappy pop song happened to be on the radio when I was filming haha) etc

Good work Ben, impressive once again...

I won't give you shit about your Miley Cyrus music, I have all of her CDs ;)

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
Hurry up and make this happen Ben.........:thumb:

I would like a tap shifter for the 2002 with the normal display on the cluster.

:D

X3. I would also be interested in a dsp switch with backlit numbers like what you posted from Rob's pic. That or even LED's that turn on as you move the switch from one side to the other, but the back lit numbers idea I think would be a great item.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I think just an amount of lit leds to correspond with the switch position would be fine. I think it would be hard to get numbers to light up, or would it?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
so maybe something simpler like this? Where each red LED lights up regarding what tune position you are on?

Then the arrow on the knob would be backlit as well so you can see that position the knob is pointing at???

That would be simple and cost effective. However then again we need a small square area to mount it...and im not sure how many people would be willing the give up their dash cubby. The panel would probably be 2"x2" shiny aluminum with 4 screws to mount it in place, with the knob and LED's...

Thoughts?

Attachments

• dsp panel2.JPG
    dsp panel2.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 27

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I could have them light up in succession, like when in position 1, only 1 LED is lit, then when in 5, all 5 LED's are lit up.

ben

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Wouldnt the LEDs be kinda bright at night?? i could see if all 5 were lit it might cause a little annoyance in the corner of your eye. Either way, what every you come up with ill buy one from you ben. hell you want a bit of cash up front:D?? i

ll be puttin it in where the tape player is right now (with the new deck its usless anyhow). its like 2" high and 4 or 5" wide