Allison 5sp: MY OWN tap-shifter...

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
i will donate my lbz for a working lockup controller ben :) also if you want to experiment on commanding a gear with that tap shifter instead of just limiting to the highest selected gear i would let you test on my lbz as well :)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
ok here is one of it working on the road.......

sorry for the absolutely horrible video. Its dark, cant see anything, im trying to film, drive and shift all at the same time, (im sure the neens will give me shit about whatever crappy pop song happened to be on the radio when I was filming haha) etc... But you get the idea...just proving that it works. :)

ill get a better video this weekend or something.

ben

[YOUTUBE]Bwowu88TG3Q[/YOUTUBE]

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yet another reason I think you should have studied automotive engineering in school, Ben. Nice job, as usual! :thumb:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
quick question...IF I were to decide to make these...would you guys like to have a little 7-segment LCD display that you could mount somewhere that would show the current selected gear?

something kinda like this:

09191_5_large.jpg

Normally, as its setup now, the indicator line under the PRND321 display moves...but I thought this might be a neat addition (an actual LCD that shows "5" "4" "3" "2" "1"), you could mount it on the dash or something? Might be kind of tricky to find a place to mount it though?

Thoughts....???

ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Also you could one to tell you what position your DSP switch is on? That would be cool..

Awesome Ben.

Only thing with that is im not sure it would be cost effective. If I made a DSP switch that had an LCD display like that (as opposed to the normal switches out there that just have an arrow and labeled markings for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5), it would probably cost 60 dollars or so...im not sure people would want to pay that much for a DSP switch just to get the additional LCD tune # display? Or would they?

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Also you could one to tell you what position your DSP switch is on? That would be cool..

Awesome Ben.

THAT'S what I want also - a DSP switch that indicated which which dsp setting it is currently in so I can see it at night without turning on dome light.

And I also want one of these. Would be oh so nice to have Double OD too but I could settle for just tap shift. :D

C-ya

Dec 2, 2006
TN
Only thing with that is im not sure it would be cost effective. If I made a DSP switch that had an LCD display like that (as opposed to the normal switches out there that just have an arrow and labeled markings for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5), it would probably cost 60 dollars or so...im not sure people would want to pay that much for a DSP switch just to get the additional LCD tune # display? Or would they?

You would be surprised. I'm constantly turning my light on myself remembering which "tune" I'm on. I would go with a little better looking display than the one pictured (my opinion).

SmokeShow ^^ agrees... :D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I bet you would be surprised.