My new LBZ “build

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
I would run 5” with a nice tip with the exhaust cut and tuck in close to the rear leaf just slightly under the bed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
It’s already got a 5” diamond eye straight oipenon it. Sounds decent but I hate the vgt sound. My lb7 was dumped and I liked the clean look. I’ll probably just play around with it til I find what I want

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I just can’t deal with the soot all over my truck. I did an axle dump for a few weeks and had soot all over the rear of my truck. Now I have the tip stuck out past the tire a little and it stays clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I just can’t deal with the soot all over my truck. I did an axle dump for a few weeks and had soot all over the rear of my truck. Now I have the tip stuck out past the tire a little and it stays clean.

My lb7 wasn’t bad at all for soot somehow. But I’m worried about this Cummins. If it’s that bad, I’ll probably stack it, god forbid. I genuinely hate smoke so if I can keep it above the other cars via a stack I will.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia

Mine don’t get bad but tuning is real clean, and the truck stays so dusty now since the state loves half assing my road you can’t tell.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you can make the common rail cummins run clean like a dmax on EFI Live. Just good luck on keeping the 68 alive... specially if it has ATS parts :roflmao:. Keep tuning very mild till you know EXACTLY whats in it. the overdrive/underdrive clutches are very weak stock and the stock converter sucks. Valve bodies dont like high miles either.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
you can make the common rail cummins run clean like a dmax on EFI Live. Just good luck on keeping the 68 alive... specially if it has ATS parts :roflmao:. Keep tuning very mild till you know EXACTLY whats in it. the overdrive/underdrive clutches are very weak stock and the stock converter sucks. Valve bodies dont like high miles either.

Gonna pull some covers and see if I can tell what’s in it when I get it.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I know I’m pushing my luck James but hopefully I can at least see if the converter is stock or not. Can’t get a receipt cause dads had it for a while now and he bought it from a dealer that had it at auction. If it not built it’s not getting anymore juice.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016

Why is that? Most dmax and powerstrokes around here have a tiny puff until the air hits but seems like every damn Cummins leaves a smoke trail tho.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James can anyone build a reliable 68 yet?

well, IMHO and what i would do to it, no. even the billy bad ass rev max or suncoast trans wont hold 600hp in 5th gear while you tow a heavy load up hills. it will for a while but eventually the clutches die in the overdrive/underdrive unit. normal daily driver can hold more obviously. Ive made suggestions to the shop that owns the race cummins i work on and run the team for. See what happens in the future

Why is that? Most dmax and powerstrokes around here have a tiny puff until the air hits but seems like every damn Cummins leaves a smoke trail tho.

no idea. lack of knowledge maybe or the old cummins of "smoke means power"? Done Right Diesel (ben is the owner) back east does the tuning for my buddies shop (they are good friends as is) and he can keep a cummins clean without issue. Just drove my buddies 13 back to my place to hold for him till he got back and has Bens tuning on it. Just a puff when lugging in 5th or 6th gear and rolling into it to get up to speed. it aint no slouch either. He also lives at 7k ft lol. i still need to see what he thinks of it up there. i had concerns it would be too smokey up there even though its clean down here.

I don’t know how reliable but i can say Randy’s Transmission in UT has done a boatload of them and puts a lot of effort into stress testing them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is for sure. but hes still limited.

The sad part is amount of work internally they need to get to hold power. its not like our allisons where a clutch kit and converter can make it hold 500hp reliably if done properly (generally not "just a clutch kit" but you get the idea). 68 needs a drum for the od/ud unit, shaft or shafts, clutches, valve body and bunch of other little crap. you can get to 8-10k quick for a trans to hold 5-600hp. hell the damn spin on filter is internal on them and they use a plastic threaded nipple to hold it!

i dont like them. i dont like how they shift even when tuned or built in comparison to my allison and i dont like that they wear out quicker than my trans under the same circumstances and cost more to build. i would love to 6 speed allison swap one and utilize the stock allison TCM. i would have a hard time not considering a dodge then if someone had a kit. even if it was 10k for the swap and built trans (doesnt need all the billet crap inside). Shit even a ford 6r swap would be neat and better.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
James believe me this isn’t really exactly my cup of tea either. But my dad needs the money and an 08 for 8 grand? Hey not play around for a little. Hell I might even like it.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James believe me this isn’t really exactly my cup of tea either. But my dad needs the money and an 08 for 8 grand? Hey not play around for a little. Hell I might even like it.

im not telling you to not buy it. no need to justify it to me. i looked at dodges a couple years ago when i was fed up with my truck and how it towed till i dumped some money into it. damn near bought a cc/lb with the g56 in it. im not afraid to say i like them.

im just giving info on that trans. when they start to go, its like when you limp an allison, you can just baby it till you save up the coin. These eat themselves up so becareful with tuning and the power you run through it.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
im not telling you to not buy it. no need to justify it to me. i looked at dodges a couple years ago when i was fed up with my truck and how it towed till i dumped some money into it. damn near bought a cc/lb with the g56 in it. im not afraid to say i like them.

im just giving info on that trans. when they start to go, its like when you limp an allison, you can just baby it till you save up the coin. These eat themselves up so becareful with tuning and the power you run through it.

Most likely I’m gonna do a 50 horse tune on it if I see aftermarket parts and leave it. At least till I get some cushion in the bank lol

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Another update to the dreadful saga. Decided not to get the Cummins from dad. He needs to keep it and it’s not what I want and god do I hate driving it. Getting something cheap for the moment. Going first thing in the morning to pay cash for a 96 4x4 ext cab Sierra. High miles but looks good and is 2 grand. Hopefully it works out. Always loved the looks of the obs trucks.