My engine build thread

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Also Can you take a pic from the top looking down? I would like a better look at the intake runners on the lbz:) If ya have time that is

Will this one work for you Simon

DSCF5754.jpg

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The Y? You talking about the bridge or the thermostat housing? I did have to take the thremostat housing off to get the hard coolant line that comes up from behind the fan pulley and runs over the top of the intake. I have basically assembled this thing two or three times if you count all the times I've had to take stuff back on because I realized that something has to go underneath something else. I just realized tonight that I have to take the lower oil pan back off because I have to put the bolts upper oil pan bolts into the bellhousing adapter from inside the crankcase.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
The Y? You talking about the bridge or the thermostat housing? I did have to take the thremostat housing off to get the hard coolant line that comes up from behind the fan pulley and runs over the top of the intake. I have basically assembled this thing two or three times if you count all the times I've had to take stuff back on because I realized that something has to go underneath something else. I just realized tonight that I have to take the lower oil pan back off because I have to put the bolts upper oil pan bolts into the bellhousing adapter from inside the crankcase.

Yes the thermostat housing kinda sucks and the sucks not being able to do the lower oil pan without it hanging to get those adapter housing bolts in. Do you have the pump to prime the motor.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo

Yes the thermostat housing kinda sucks and the sucks not being able to do the lower oil pan without it hanging to get those adapter housing bolts in. Do you have the pump to prime the motor.

DSCF5772.jpg

DSCF5773.jpg

DSCF5774.jpg

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

coolant Y is what I was refering to Josh,Only reason I say that is I installed mine and then read the next step " install wires" :rolleyes:

It does suck having to hang the motor to finish it off,But takeing it off the stand is also a good feeling:D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Do you have the pump to prime the motor.
No, but it doesn't look too difficult to make something like that. How difficult is it to find the fitting? I did put a bunch of assembly lube on all the bearings. Is it absolutely necessary to prime everything?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
No, but it doesn't look too difficult to make something like that. How difficult is it to find the fitting? I did put a bunch of assembly lube on all the bearings. Is it absolutely necessary to prime everything?

http://www.holley.com/types/Metric%20Thread%20to%20AN%20Adapters.asp

IIRC its 14mmx 1.5 maybe 12mm??? Henry should know for sure

I never primed mine Josh....not saying thats a good thing,But i just cranked it over quite a few times with a fuse pulled so it wouldnt start

http://www.etoolcart.com/browseproducts/OTC--Engine-Preluber-Kit--OTC6492.HTML

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Josh I did the same thing as Simon, just lubed the crap out of everything with moly assembly lube and cranked it a bunch of times without actually starting it.

I have almost 13k miles on the engine, so far so good, knock on wood. :)

ben

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Well, the engine is pretty much done. I need to get the crank bolt put in and torque down the flywheel bolts, but other than that the engine is ready to go in the truck. Once I get my injectors back I can crank it. I'm getting pretty excited. I'll have to remember to bring my camera with me tomorrow so I can take some pictures.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
More progress today.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Rebuild 058 (Large).jpg
    Rebuild 058 (Large).jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Rebuild 059 (Large).jpg
    Rebuild 059 (Large).jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Rebuild 048 (Large).jpg
    Rebuild 048 (Large).jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 34

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It's Alive!!!! :rockon: :driving: :dancenana: :chicken:

I fired it up at approx. 4pm today. I had a ton of help from several friends of mine. I couldn't have done it without them.

Also, I'd like to once again say thanks to Henry for all the pictures he posted of his build and all the specs he has posted in the GM Specs forum. Without them, this build would have been much more difficult. You're awesome Henry!

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
It's Alive!!!! :rockon: :driving: :dancenana: :chicken:

I fired it up at approx. 4pm today. I had a ton of help from several friends of mine. I couldn't have done it without them.

Also, I'd like to once again say thanks to Henry for all the pictures he posted of his build and all the specs he has posted in the GM Specs forum. Without them, this build would have been much more difficult. You're awesome Henry!

:nanawoot::dancenana::fluffy: