My engine build thread

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
how come the flywheel is on it? AFAIK the duramax is an internally balanced engine.

Looks good Josh, good luck and keep us updated!!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
hmmm they balanced mine without the flywheel and it runs smooth as glass at all rpm ranges? Oops...? :eek:

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I was told it was externally balanced, so I gave the guy all my stuff. I figure he knows what he's doing so he can get it balanced regardless. I was talking to him last weekend, and he said he got all the rods balanced to within 1/10th of a gram so it should be pretty smooth.

I'm getting pretty anxious to have it back up and running. :driving:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
look like he pull lot of wieght out of the counter weights :cool2:

should rev pretty fast now :D

the shop i talked too said OEM spec is +/- 15 grams on most V-8 applications

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
when they balanced mine they just needed the weights of the dampener and the all 8 bolts and the flex plate.Adam they drilled the heck out of mine and it does rev faster.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
when they balanced mine they just needed the weights of the dampener and the all 8 bolts and the flex plate.Adam they drilled the heck out of mine and it does rev faster.

sorry to go OT but henry when are we gonna see a video and new 1/4 times of your truck?

Looks awsome Josh keep us up to date.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
sorry to go OT but henry when are we gonna see a video and new 1/4 times of your truck?

Looks awsome Josh keep us up to date.

Was going to be tonight but were here starting a build on a 02 LB7.I can go out and do a nice big smokin burnout lol for you in front of the house.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
The Duramax is externally balanced, which means there is counter weights added to the flywheel and/or the damper. In this case both.

According to the GM print for the crank, the out of balance allowance is 25g/cm

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I was told it was externally balanced, so I gave the guy all my stuff. I figure he knows what he's doing so he can get it balanced regardless. I was talking to him last weekend, and he said he got all the rods balanced to within 1/10th of a gram so it should be pretty smooth.

I'm getting pretty anxious to have it back up and running. :driving:

When mine was balanced they used the flywheel and old bolts
I kinda wish I got a better flexplate and Dampner before they balanced everything

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
When mine was balanced they used the flywheel and old bolts
I kinda wish I got a better flexplate and Dampner before they balanced everything
I just got my new SoCal FluidDampr that I forgot I ordered :eek: so my buddy is going to have to rebalance everything. Oh well, I guess I get to make him earn his money :D

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Simon, if i want to run a dampner i should get one to Ted before he rebuilds my motor?

Yup, Call Trippen ASAP

IIRC there is a way to do it after the fact,but would be better now

Josh, thanks for all the pics and best of luck with your build

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Well, another update. I got everything back from the machine shop last weekend and started putting it together. I've been working on it a few hours each evening after work. It's going slow but steady. I have the crank, rods, pistons, and cam in. I'm going to try to get the heads put on it tonight. So far it seems pretty straight forward.

I owe Henry a BIG thanks for posting all the torque specs and sequences for everything and for posting all the pictures of his build. I've been referencing both quite a bit. :thankyou: :yourock:

blksmok

Apr 28, 2008
Josh,
I had no idea your engine blew. Sorry to hear that man. :( I'll watch this thread for updates. Good luck on the build up.