My engine build thread

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Today I started on pulling my engine. I took my truck over to a buddies house. We drained the fluids, pulled the radiator and CAC, plumbing for the twins including the turbo, and removed the core support. Tomorrow I hope to have the engine out and on the stand. I'll disassemble it over the course of the week and hopefully have it completely disassembled and ready for the machine shop by the end of the week. I forgot the camera, but I'll be sure to bring it tomorrow.

I do have one question. What do you guys do about the AC condenser? Do you just lift the motor up over it, or is there a way to move it out of the way? That one hard line makes it a PITA.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
You can pop the line off if you have new o-rings. What are you planning as far as the build goes? Congrats that thing is going to rip.:hug:

dmaxalliTech

Shop Rat
Aug 28, 2006
Josh, I prefer to remove it so as not to damage it, but not having a recovery manchine could hamper that process I suppose.

Next best option IMO is to put heavy cardboard on each side to protect the fins and tape it on, then just try and lay it to the side as best as possible. The aluminum lines are easy to break so be careful there.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You can pop the line off if you have new o-rings. What are you planning as far as the build goes? Congrats that thing is going to rip.:hug:
So far the plan is Duramaxtuner rods, cut and coated LB7 pistons running about 15.5:1 comp. ratio, head studs, and keyed cam and crank. Then new gaskets, seals, and bearings. I'm thinking about doing injectors and modded FPR while I'm in there, but that all depends on how much everything else costs.

Josh, I prefer to remove it so as not to damage it, but not having a recovery manchine could hamper that process I suppose.

Next best option IMO is to put heavy cardboard on each side to protect the fins and tape it on, then just try and lay it to the side as best as possible. The aluminum lines are easy to break so be careful there.
Thanks Eric. I'll see what I can find. If I can't a recovery machine, other than the environmental aspects, would venting the A/C cause problems with anything?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
do it when no one is watching, The newer stuff is not as bad it just stinks really bad crack line lose and stand back makes alittle mess.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
the hard line makes it a PITA. I was able to get the motor out without disturbing the AC, but had to remove teh condensor in order to get the motor back in. This is the second time ive had to recharge the AC, first time when I hit a deer and it broke the condensor. Cost like 120$ to have it recharged each time. :rolleyes:

I almost thought about having a soft line made up so I can swing the condensor out of the way, but the better plan is to just never have to take the motor out again. ;)

If you empty it, just stand back and make sure the EPA isnt watching. Cover the ends of the lines to minimize how much moisture can get in. When you recharge it, you must replace the o-rings, and have it done by a shop. You CANT just do it with the "refill" kits you see at autozone. Beleive me, I tried.

good luck Josh, its not that hard, just takes a little while because evrything is so big and heavy.

Ben

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The motor is out, and a few parts have been pulled off of it. I thought I had a stand I was going to be able to put it on, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to get it until tomorrow evening. For now I'm disassembling everything with the engine on the hoist, and it is a PITA. Anyway, here are some pics from the progress today.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• broke 006 (Large).jpg
    broke 006 (Large).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 110
  • broke 008 (Large).jpg
    broke 008 (Large).jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 100
  • broke 010 (Large).jpg
    broke 010 (Large).jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 96
  • broke 011 (Large).jpg
    broke 011 (Large).jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 102
  • broke 012 (Large).jpg
    broke 012 (Large).jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 113
  • broke 013 (Large).jpg
    broke 013 (Large).jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 97
  • broke 014 (Large).jpg
    broke 014 (Large).jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 110
  • broke 016 (Large).jpg
    broke 016 (Large).jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 147
  • broke 023 (Large).jpg
    broke 023 (Large).jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 111
  • broke 024 (Large).jpg
    broke 024 (Large).jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 129

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
You CANT just do it with the "refill" kits you see at autozone. Beleive me, I tried.

Correct, you must vacuum the system down (On my car, you're supposed to vacuum it down for 45-60 minutes before recharging it).

Just FYI, when you open the system, you're supposed to replace the dryer.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Make sure you plug that AC system off, if you accumulator is open to the air for more than 15 minutes the desicant bags will be saturated and you will have issues down the road like the bag bursting and screwing alot of stuff up;)

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Make sure you plug that AC system off, if you accumulator is open to the air for more than 15 minutes the desicant bags will be saturated and you will have issues down the road like the bag bursting and screwing alot of stuff up;)

Yupper! And if that desicant gets loose...your in for a lot of expensive A/C repair. IMO, reciver/dryer is cheap, put a new one in before it goes back togather. I would also have the condenser flushed and a new orfice tube installed as well.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I guess I'll have to get a new one then. Mine's been open for over 24 hours now.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The only thing left in the block now is the crank. I didn't have a 14mm 12 point socket at the shop where I'm working on it. Here are some pics of the current progress.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• broke 025 (Large).jpg
    broke 025 (Large).jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 92
  • broke 026 (Large).jpg
    broke 026 (Large).jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 96
  • broke 027 (Large).jpg
    broke 027 (Large).jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 104
  • broke 034 (Large).jpg
    broke 034 (Large).jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 122
  • broke 035 (Large).jpg
    broke 035 (Large).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 103

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Damn can't believe I missed this whole thread!!:eek:
X2 how is it coming Josh?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I was just coming in here to update the progress.

Slow parts are holding me up, but my buddy has the machine work done and the rotating assembly balanced. Here are a few pics.

JakeandChireePictures036.jpg

JakeandChireePictures038.jpg

JakeandChireePictures035.jpg

JakeandChireePictures033.jpg