LLY: my custom big twins build

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
ok stupid question...

what size is the S480 inlet? Is it the same as an S475? I have a 4" metal elbow with the MAF sensor bung and everything, with a big rubber 'bushing' coupler that increases the 4" pipe so it attaches to an S475-sized (I think??) compressor inlet.

It measures 5" in diameter...so is an S480 inlet 5" in diameter...?

of course I wouldnt be asking this question if forced inductions could deliver stuff on time when they said they would........................................

ben
5" Ben.

And be easy on Forced Inductions. They had nothing to do with the blizzard between you and them. That is what is holding things up. Sucks I know but if the world did not suck we would all fall off.:thumb:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
5" Ben.

And be easy on Forced Inductions. They had nothing to do with the blizzard between you and them. That is what is holding things up. Sucks I know but if the world did not suck we would all fall off.:thumb:

That I completely understand, but what frustrated me is they wouldnt give me the tracking number when I asked, they just said "no it will be there by 2:25PM on friday". I have a hard time believing that (even if there wasnt a blizzard) because I have NEVER had UPS guarantee something by a specific time in the afternoon?? Its either "by 11:00am" (if you order special morning delivery) or "by the end of the day"...

When it arrives Ill get the tracking number and see what the problem was...oh well, I guess im just stressed that it needs to be done by thursday... :(

ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Good luck on the build, Ben. PM me that tracking number...Im curious.

forced inductions wouldnt give it to me, they just said "it will be there by 2:25pm friday". :rolleyes:

as a side note, even in big storms ive NEVER had UPS miss a date or fail to deliver something due to inclimate weather. :thumb:

Big Angry

<--My idea of a good time
Sep 3, 2006
South Central Pa
forced inductions wouldnt give it to me, they just said "it will be there by 2:25pm friday". :rolleyes:

as a side note, even in big storms ive NEVER had UPS miss a date or fail to deliver something due to inclimate weather. :thumb:

Ben, 2 weeks ago in our big blizzard, UPS in Harrisburg closed Wednesday morning, and didn't reopen until Friday. My pump rub kit from Merchants was delayed 2 days. On that Wednesday, I was also getting an overnight Fed ex from work, it showed up on Friday as well, and I got no mail delivery on that Wednesday or Thursday either. Inclement weather can and does affect delivery times.
Still weird that you got no tracking # and a specific time.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I know Staff here hates it when I defend UPS, but two years ago we closed for a day during CHRISTMAS season due to 12" snow. Your area isnt used to 30-something" in one storm, let alone an entire week (Hell..is anyone ready for that except Santa?). Like I tell people when they ask how I get thru snow and if I have 4wd...I tell them, "Yep, I sure do have 4wd...trouble is, all 4 wheels are on the back". :rofl:

Sorry bud. I do think its shady that F.I. wont give you a tracking number, though....and no way can they determine delivery time exactly like that.

Last edited:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC

Hate to say it but this the same experience I have seen with forced inductions. Josh got a turbo from them and got a huge run around on delivery time. Then they just stopped answering the phone for a week. I was with josh when he called them with no answer. Then I called them from my cell not even a minute later and they answered....WTF it like they were screening josh's calls. I will never get anything from them again. From now on I use ED or bullseye.

KoryVette

Addict
May 17, 2009
I know this will seem like a dumb question but how do you mount the turbo? I mean I've seen the brackets people have made that come off the alt bracket but where does the turbo actually attach to the bracket? Oil drain? Housing cover bolts? In other applications I have seen the turbo just hangs or sits on top of the flange but it doesnt look like that's the way to do it

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I know this will seem like a dumb question but how do you mount the turbo? I mean I've seen the brackets people have made that come off the alt bracket but where does the turbo actually attach to the bracket? Oil drain? Housing cover bolts? In other applications I have seen the turbo just hangs or sits on top of the flange but it doesnt look like that's the way to do it

The turbo sits on the oil drain.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Hate to say it but this the same experience I have seen with forced inductions. Josh got a turbo from them and got a huge run around on delivery time. Then they just stopped answering the phone for a week. I was with josh when he called them with no answer. Then I called them from my cell not even a minute later and they answered....WTF it like they were screening josh's calls. I will never get anything from them again. From now on I use ED or bullseye.

Ive had good luck with E.D and bullseye as well!

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Ive had good luck with E.D and bullseye as well!

I have not had good luck with them. Basicallly they are one and the same. ED buys from Bullseye. Bullseye is no longer a BW dealer they got dumped for some reason. Getting ED to answer the phone is like a minor miracle.

Ben

Not giving you a tracking number is BS. I agree. But hate to say it getting hosed like that is becoming more common. I got major run around from a vendor myself. I am done with them. Live and learn.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I dont want to start crap about FI, they were great to deal with and worked out a great deal with josh on what he needed until it came time for shipping, then things went crazy.

Nov 3, 2006
Modesto, CA
I have not had good luck with them. Basicallly they are one and the same. ED buys from Bullseye. Bullseye is no longer a BW dealer they got dumped for some reason. Getting ED to answer the phone is like a minor miracle.

Ben

Not giving you a tracking number is BS. I agree. But hate to say it getting hosed like that is becoming more common. I got major run around from a vendor myself. I am done with them. Live and learn.

I have to agree to this. They don't return calls either unless you are a first time caller. Emails and PM's can be the same way.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Ben did I read that correct? You are going to completely build a set of twin turbos starting Monday and try to have them operational by Thursday? Given of course you get your bottom turbo from FI first thing monday morning, and unless I'm mistaken this is your first experience building a set? Do you really think that is realistic?

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ben did I read that correct? You are going to completely build a set of twin turbos starting Monday and try to have them operational by Thursday? Given of course you get your bottom turbo from FI first thing monday morning, and unless I'm mistaken this is your first experience building a set? Do you really think that is realistic?

I have every single part, including lots of excess piping, in front of me (except for the turbo) right now. If I had the turbo friday afternoon im very confident I could have had it running by late tonight. Dave/heepjeeps and myself work pretty fast when we have a deadline and have been known to work for 24 hours straight. :D Last time I had my stock turbo off I put the drain gasket on crooked and it leaked when I went to road test it...I was so mad I went into "overdrive" mode and from driving the truck back into the shop to (stock) turbo out and sitting on the bench; just under 50 minutes.

The turbo mount is all set and everything is mocked up "roughly"/tacked in place...we just need to get the turbo so we can fudge everything into the exact precise position, fully weld everything, and we will be good to go.

My truck already has the "tricky" parts done from the old MPI setup, battery relocated, coolant surge tank relocated, oil pan drilled, brace configured, etc...