Mod to turbo intake horn

WanaDmaxsub

Junior Member W/gray hair
Feb 17, 2007
Looks like I will have to leave the EGR on...Cal is going to start smogin' diesels next year:rolleyes::mad:

WanaDmaxsub

Feb 17, 2007
My old one is "in the mail" back to SD...finally.:eek:

Put almost 700 miles on the truck yesterday. So far so good...even sooted my sister and nephews a couple of times...I told her not to let me get infront of her...:rofl:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Wana...did you happen to notice if it was easier for you to blow smoke now? I installed my race tune on Friday, and it about scared the begezzus outta me. 1/2 throttle and I was blowing big cloud of smoke, and darn near roasting the tires.

Dont know if this is a result of the mod or not, but at 70mph on the highway (2000rpm) I was running 540-570* egt. Normally Im up around 620-650*.

I am waiting to get a regulator and pump from another member, then the whole shebang goes on to Mike.

Last edited:

diamondshocks

crash skippy racing
Feb 15, 2009
Fargo, NS
www.diamondshocks.com
Wana...did you happen to notice if it was easier for you to blow smoke now? I installed my race tune on Friday, and it about scared the begezzus outta me. 1/2 throttle and I was blowing big cloud of smoke, and darn near roasting the tires.

Dont know if this is a result of the mod or not, but at 70mph on the highway (2000rpm) I was running 540-570* egt. Normally Im up around 620-650*.

I am waiting to get a regulator and pump from another member, then the whole shebang goes on to Mike.

wow ill have to try my big tune and see (banks doesnt smoke much to begin with) but last time i drove with it on SL it was at night. i cant believe yout EGT's dropped that much

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thats why I said I wasnt sure how that happened.....but I do know the race tune runs hotter on the highway than stock by about 20-30*. I'd be about 600-620* in stock trim.

WanaDmaxsub

Feb 17, 2007
PM "super diesel" he will get you one.

A VA230 with a 40 Predator stacked...I can call-up a cloud anytime I want.;)

kydmaxpuller

Mar 2, 2009
taylorsville, ky
diamondshocks thanks for the reply i havent made enough posts on here yet to pm you back can you please add me to your list and let me know when one comes avaliable thanks

Last edited:

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
Lawrence, your right it was a real PITA! These EGR trucks have more crap in the way I did the same as you and moved the intake fitting an made more room. mine does seem to spool quicker. I still have not run a full on race tune to see if I am boosting higher. The race tune was at 32-33psig. It is slightly louder to about 10psig.

WanaDmaxsub

Feb 17, 2007
I was sweetin' bricks...Had a 700 mile trip planned for the next day and I didn't need to have any issues:eek::mad:. Now that I have done it, I wouldn't hesitate to do another. Once I finally got the passenger side bolt started and ground down that wrench so I could turn it, it went really fast and easy.

So far it doesn't look like my peak boost is any higher.

One thing I have noticed...It feels like the cruise control is much more big tune friendly. There are still times when you need to kick it out of CC or switch down to a smaller tune. But when you can use it, it feels much smoother. At first I thought I was going nuts...but I just can't get over the feeling that it is much smoother now when in CC.:confused:

Last edited:

ChevyDealer

Dec 12, 2008
Missouri
Michael, Glad to see you here and posting! I don't get on this forum very often and just found this thread. Sorry about your misfortunes. Your mods work and I appreciate the help you have given me in the past. Hadn't seen anything nor heard from you in a long time. Glad you are stirring.

The down pipe at the flange (the one coming off the turbo) is the worst area of the exhaust. It's about an 1/8" larger than the turbo outlet. This, I would like to see fixed at a min to keep EGTs down on such an attempt. Sounds GREAT...got an economical solution?

Second, the intake horn mod I Need this done, moded regulator done by Super Diesel, shimmed up FPRV FPRV removed for 2nd fuel line and a moded CP3 suction pump done by Super Diesel(the ribbed one mounted to the back of the CP3). A good lift pump KD Twins w/ 10.5 psi and some opened up rail feed ports done per Super Diesel.

A removed IAH from the intake tube. I think this would be about the most that could be done to a stocker to retain the totally stock look and get a high dyno #. This would no doubt be the max available at this time for a stock LB7 Dmax.
Why remove the IAH? Would you install a plug for summertime use?

A compression check needs to be done (about $35-$50 for compression tester) before the big power quest and after to make sure nothing was harmed, if going to or above 575hp or 1100fpt. I would like to be at these numbers. ;).

Also have Super Diesel's Sleeve's and a Straight Center Link. I would recommend Super Diesel's products to anyone. Except the competition of course. ;)

Dynoed this set up with PPE Level 10, stock IHI turbo, stock injectors, stock CP3, and only one KD pump working (didn't know I only had 4-5 psi until I got home) last year June 14 at 2:00 p.m. in full sun outdoors, no fans, hood down, temp was 96-98 degrees outside with high humidity, and at 1100 ft above sea level. Made 487 hp and 990 torque. The torque seems to be coutesy of Super Diesel. Will have the same setup at the event this June 13th but will have both pumps working and hopefully your new mod. Also I have since dropped back to tune 9 since 10 was written for dual CP3's and I will have the hood up this year. I'm would like to try both 9 & 10 if they will let me. Last year was a long line of trucks. I believe I have basically what you noted above. Now about that intake horn mod...

Craig :thumb:

Last edited:

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
you wont be disappointed. here are a few more pics of some i have been doing for people.

diamondshocks thanks for the reply i havent made enough posts on here yet to pm you back can you please add me to your list and let me know when one comes avaliable thanks

Didn't know of your agenda here. Good to know though. This is a pefect example of what has become of every thing I've done now and in the past. Others focus on things like this instead of coming up with the next thing we need to help our sport (which is far more importaint I think).

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Some things I've been wondering after looking at an LB7 turbo a bit more closely...

What exactly is the "bleed ring" around the turbo inlet for? Why not just make the inlet larger to start with?

Why would GM/IHI/Isuzu make the decision to block the ring with the horn?

Wouldnt pressurizing the air flowing into the closed bleed spaces cause the compressor to "fight" against itself?

Last edited:

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
Some things I've been wondering after looking at an LB7 turbo a bit more closely...

What exactly is the "bleed ring" around the turbo inlet for? Why not just make the inlet larger to start with?

Wouldnt pressurizing the air flowing into the closed bleed spaces cause the compressor to "fight" against itself?
the bleed ring is there to quiet the turbo down(gm wants their trucks "quiet"). cummins' holset turbos have this cone shaped velocity stack with a snapring to do the same thing. easier on them to take it out to hear that whistle we all love

diamondshocks

crash skippy racing
Feb 15, 2009
Fargo, NS
www.diamondshocks.com

the bleed ring is there to quiet the turbo down(gm wants their trucks "quiet"). cummins' holset turbos have this cone shaped velocity stack with a snapring to do the same thing. easier on them to take it out to hear that whistle we all love

good question there man. ya it was kinda stupid. you ever find another turbo to PnP. i started working on my PnP stuff today and should know how it preforms soon.