03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
...................Old horn......... new horn
Speed .............39..................39
rpm ...............3221..............3185
MAF lb/min......56.28.............61.52
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speed..............71..................71
Rpm...............3036...............3069
MAF lb/min......56.30..............62.13

from 71 mph up the maf flat lined at 62.13 so i think that is the max of the factory unit so ater that i am sure it kept going up i got an extra 5psi of boost on top end and much quicker spool

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
to get that kind of airflow, you need a load well beyond hiway cruise. The numbers are good, just trying to help validate them.

How was a constant speed load applied?

Lower gear? Kept it in 3rd maybe? Would make sense to me...

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
yeah to be dong 39 mph and have that kind of rpm you gotts be flooring it or have it in a lower gear.

im guessing he floored it and record the maf flow at the same speed each time before and after.

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
...................Old horn......... new horn
Speed .............39..................39
rpm ...............3221..............3185
MAF lb/min......56.28.............61.52
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speed..............71..................71
Rpm...............3036...............3069
MAF lb/min......56.30..............62.13

from 71 mph up the maf flat lined at 62.13 so i think that is the max of the factory unit so ater that i am sure it kept going up i got an extra 5psi of boost on top end and much quicker spool

Questions:

1) Do you have the stock wastegate? boost valve? Did the top boost number go over 32psi?

2) Does the MAF value make a difference past a certain point, and is this something that could be modified with EFILive to maybe help some more?

Last edited:

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
to get that kind of airflow, you need a load well beyond hiway cruise. The numbers are good, just trying to help validate them.

How was a constant speed load applied?

i would lock it in a gear and it is at 100% throttle on the same part of road and to the same speeds

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
Questions:

1) Do you have the stock wastegate? boost valve? Did the top boost number go over 32psi?boost valve and the top boost i saw was 30 but its a tune that wont limp my tranny until it hits 5th

2) Does the MAF value make a difference past a certain point, and is this something that could be modified with EFILive to maybe help some more? maf is what the turbo is really doing, to a point boost is just restriction and maf is how much actual air flow is going through the turbo

hope this answers your q's

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
i can give you different figures from different speeds and gears i just picked a couple

and just so everyone knows the IAT was 5X degrees on both before and after

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Questions:

1) Do you have the stock wastegate? boost valve? Did the top boost number go over 32psi?

2) Does the MAF value make a difference past a certain point, and is this something that could be modified with EFILive to maybe help some more?

most of the maf tables only limmit fuel unless you have maxed them out ,
example would be the pcm will limmit fuel ( mm3 measurement )to what ever is in your table untill the maf says it has enough air to add more per what you have entered in the table , if these tables are maxed out the maf is only a reference. btw my street tunes utilize the maf my race tunes are maxed out. no performance difference once the turbo spools .

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
LOL...I was apprehensive to do this?

Talk about easy. I should've just put the truck in the garage two weeks ago and did this.

Remove the CAI tube, unplug the sensor and intake heater on the intake horn to get the wires out of the way, move the A/C compressor over (4 bolts, 2 elec connections, and the belt) to clear the area. I used two 6" 1/4-drive extensions and a swivel, and that bottom bolt is a piece of cake. Toughest bolt for me was the left side one....you can only use a wrench on it.
I highly recommend just loosening the bolts and then use a pen-magnet (those extendable antenna-looking ones) to grab the bolt. Also use the magnet to set the bolts in their holes so you dont drop them.

Bolts dont have that much torque on them. Maybe 15lbs?

30 minutes from start to finish.

Bonus was being able to check my turbo. No excessive play, no gouging...just some soot on the blades....probably from when I barked it sledpulling. Im a happy camper about the turbo being ok.

Heck, I was even able to do my tensioner and idler pulleys today. Gotta love 58* sunny weather.

Now to go out and test this and see if all you guys are pulling my leg or not...

Last edited:

diamondshocks

crash skippy racing
Feb 15, 2009
Fargo, NS
www.diamondshocks.com
Talk about easy. I should've just put the truck in the garage two weeks ago and did this.

Remove the CAI tube, unplug the sensor and intake heater on the intake horn to get the wires out of the way, move the A/C compressor over (4 bolts, 2 elec connections, and the belt) to clear the area. I used two 6" 1/4-drive extensions and a swivel, and that bottom bolt is a piece of cake. Toughest bolt for me was the left side one....you can only use a wrench on it.
I highly recommend just loosening the bolts and then use a pen-magnet (those extendable antenna-looking ones) to grab the bolt. Also use the magnet to set the bolts in their holes so you dont drop them.

Bolts dont have that much torque on them. Maybe 15lbs?

30 minutes from start to finish.

Bonus was being able to check my turbo. No excessive play, no gouging...just some soot on the blades....probably from when I barked it sledpulling. Im a happy camper about the turbo being ok.

Heck, I was even able to do my tensioner and idler pulleys today. Gotta love 58* sunny weather.

Now to go out and test this and see if all you guys are pulling my leg or not...

you wont be disappointed. here are a few more pics of some i have been doing for people.

Attachments

• intake horn1.jpg
    intake horn1.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 99
  • intake horn 2.jpg
    intake horn 2.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 98
  • intake horn 3.jpg
    intake horn 3.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 111

WanaDmaxsub

Junior Member W/gray hair
Feb 17, 2007
Finally got mine on...:eek: WOW what a pain in the @ss (on an EGR equiped truck)! The bottom bolt was easy. I pulled the intake heater (controller?) out of the way and used a ratchet wrench. If you do this, undo the nut on the intake heater, not the one on the controller (I heard plastic cracking sounds and stopped). The bolt on the passenger side was a "@%#$^". In the end I pulled the metal intake and propped it out of the way. Then I had to grind down one of my expensive :rofl: wrenches.
Looks like I may need to start a turbo fund...it doesn't move in or out, but does have some movement up/down and left/right.
SOTP
Boost does look like it's building faster and the turbo is a little louder.

SD I'll have the core in the mail on Monday. Sorry it took so long.:eek:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Removed.JPG
    Removed.JPG
    263.4 KB · Views: 249
  • Turbo.JPG
    Turbo.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 250
  • Turbo2.JPG
    Turbo2.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 244
  • Wrench2.JPG
    Wrench2.JPG
    563.8 KB · Views: 247

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Oh brother, that looks like it was a PITA. Ever think about finding a regular LB7 intake tube and bridge and changing it out, or would you need the pass side up pipe, too?

Last edited: