Mod to turbo intake horn

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
www.larrysperformancepalace.com
I'll look into the bridges. I know there a problem (restriction) area. The demand has to good enough to make it worth it though. I know Jeff Toman was making some (Toman Industies). I would have to talk to him before undertaking this (he may still be supplying them). I don't step on toes or copy others stuff (not that I'm aware of). Had that happen enough in the past that's still going on today. I was raised with those values. Sorry for the rant. Back on subject. The crossover bridge would be a good item to have available.

The Y bridge was simple-used a left over piece of intercooler pipe 3". Original size was 2.1" roughly. I will have to disagree on the LBZ runners though, under pressure I don't believe there is enough difference to warrant the change. The Y bridge is a deffinate. If you can produce them I can give you a little insight on what I learned from the 7.1 build with proper fitment of a modded Y bridge to the fuel rail:(. Just my 2 cents-i am still trying to learn and share what I have learned.

DSC01276-2.jpg

DSC01264-1.jpg

DSC01323.jpg

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
looks good! how about you build one for me too and i will test it out :D i will dyno before and after and see how much of a diffrence it makes. What did you use anyways?

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
www.larrysperformancepalace.com
looks good! how about you build one for me too and i will test it out :D i will dyno before and after and see how much of a diffrence it makes. What did you use anyways?

The intercooler pipes we took off when we changed the intercooler. I'm not sure who's they were but there was a perfect bend in one to match the shape of the Y-bridge. I have a friend who is a gifted welder, he removed the original piece flush from the bridge towards the pass side, and welded in my creation. The only thing was I had it powder coated before I tried to fit it-where the fuel rail bolted to it was no clearence so I took a 3/4" socket and laid it sideways and smacked it with a hammer (gentle like:angel:) till it cleared-about 1/4" but it chipped the powdercoating:mad: so I just rattled canned it in that spot-can't see it anyways. I cut out the boss for the map sensor and then blew it apart (sensor) and honestly have not noticed a problem with it just plugged in but not in the runner-just kinda hangs out on the top of the engine:rolleyes: but suprisingly no codes-still trying to figure out exactly what it does other then show boost pressure to the ecm. But you should have the bracket boss and the o'ring boss welded it before painting-should have been a no brainer for me but I overlooked it anyways.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
i'll look into the bridges. I know there a problem (restriction) area. The demand has to good enough to make it worth it though. I know jeff toman was making some (toman industies). I would have to talk to him before undertaking this (he may still be supplying them). I don't step on toes or copy others stuff (not that i'm aware of). Had that happen enough in the past that's still going on today. I was raised with those values. Sorry for the rant. Back on subject. The crossover bridge would be a good item to have available.
toman doesnt do those anymore, he gave the project to merchant.

MaxPowerLB7

Amateur
Nov 8, 2007
Spanish Fork, UT
I have ported the intake horn on a couple guys trucks, they say the turbo spools quicker.

I have a modded y bridge from Merchant, it's okay, I had to take a hammer to it to make the junction block fit and get the intake heater bung cut off and welded shut so my turbo would fit. (GT42)

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I have ported the intake horn on a couple guys trucks, they say the turbo spools quicker.

I have a modded y bridge from Merchant, it's okay, I had to take a hammer to it to make the junction block fit and get the intake heater bung cut off and welded shut so my turbo would fit. (GT42)

:eek: :eek: i'm gonna have to take your hammer away your dangerous with that thing .

:rofl:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Mike, Do you need me to send in an inlet? I talked to Merchant tonight and he says he has a few. Send me a PM with your address, and I'll ask Eric to ship you one.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
I've done a couple of the y's also. ;)

Attachments

• 0526071440-02.jpg
    0526071440-02.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 109
  • DCP_3195 (Medium).JPG
    DCP_3195 (Medium).JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 117

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
i might go and find me a shop who ports out throttle bodies around town and get the to do my horn to the max.

next thing would be getting a better inkate and doing something about that downpipe. and maybe find me some txc headers.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
This was no fun to set up to cut (need a jig). I have a machine shop (regained after every thing was stollen), and I just bored it (very carefully). I'll get a few made up to send out and do an exchange program. PM sent Mikey.

I have been running this for a week and it makes a big difference. Quicker spool up and better low and mid range. Have not ha opertunity to check top end yet. I'm very happy.:D

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Looks like im bustin out the die grinder and carbide bits! Me and my damn DIY stuff:rofl:

THANKS for posting this! I had wondered but afraid to screw with it but now i will;)

If i go do some sucsessful alum welding practice, i'll just cut the flange off and make a custom inlet:D

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
looks like im bustin out the die grinder and carbide bits! Me and my damn diy stuff:rofl:

Thanks for posting this! I had wondered but afraid to screw with it but now i will;)

if i go do some sucsessful alum welding practice, i'll just cut the flange off and make a custom inlet:d
carbide bits on the die grinder dont work worth a damn:(
tried it yesterday, and the bit fills up with aluminum quick. I will send mine to super diesel to machine mine out.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
tried it yesterday, and the bit fills up with aluminum quick. I will send mine to super diesel to machine mine out.

Ya, there are special bits just for aluminum that are hard to clog. Standard flutes clog real easy on alum. I have used standard ones for ferrous metals succesfully on aluminun by frequent oiling and a dab of anti-sieze smeared on it.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
I have been running this for a week and it makes a big difference. Quicker spool up and better low and mid range. Have not ha opertunity to check top end yet. I'm very happy.:D

You got an lb7?? Sorry, I have never seen your rig, just curious which year you got. :eek:

edit. I see you have it listed as an 04 so I'm gonna assume lb7..... :D

Are you running any tune ( I know thats probably a stupid question but I dont know what kind of stuff is done to your truck). Would this be any use on a vvt truck or lb7 only??

thx

Last edited:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state

Ya, there are special bits just for aluminum that are hard to clog. Standard flutes clog real easy on alum. I have used standard ones for ferrous metals succesfully on aluminun by frequent oiling and a dab of anti-sieze smeared on it.

mine dont.... thoumy main one is chipped pretty bad... used it on cast iron SS, harden steel allum...

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007

A bar of hand soap works good too. :)