LMM: LMM with 222,000 tear down rebuild

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I fail to see how a little added overlap will bleed off compression to the point it will be lazy on the street. You can go from virtually 0 overlap to almost 30° with minimal difference. Bleeding off compression more comes from the ABDC closing point of the intake valve. If you are that worried about street ability on a mild cam, just leave the stocker in it. Not running a vgt anymore is going to help your case too IMO
Sorry worried that wrong.. increase overlap will increase bleed off of the dynamic compression.. id like decreased overlap to reduce bleed off

While ive yet to see cam chartsfor both the LBZ and LMM cams the LBZ cam is more responsive, yet "they are the same"

I don't think he was worried about a mild cam, I was just cautioning him not to go too extreme, and things got off topic and technical, which is one of the reasons I love this site.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

Ive mentioned aftermarket camshaft before in this thread probably some 25 pages ago

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I don't think he was worried about a mild cam, I was just cautioning him not to go too extreme, and things got off topic and technical, which is one of the reasons I love this site.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

Yes, very common to over cam an engine, it's that tq people really love to feel.

Sorry worried that wrong.. increase overlap will increase bleed off of the dynamic compression.. id like decreased overlap to reduce bleed off

While ive yet to see cam chartsfor both the LBZ and LMM cams the LBZ cam is more responsive, yet "they are the same"

Ive mentioned aftermarket camshaft before in this thread probably some 25 pages ago

Know anybody with a cam doctor?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
How many miles on this motor?
70k and counting still. Its still runs is just not "right"
Yes, very common to over cam an engine, it's that tq people really love to feel.

Know anybody with a cam doctor?
TQ is what I need lol plus i cant go too big as im not sending the pistons off for machine work.. so it has to be drop in compatible.

As for the cam Doctor.. no clue.. im sure there is someone around Columbus oh with all the Motorsports that goes on, someone has to have one

Old school way would be plot it out with a degree wheel, graph paper and dial indicator

The lbz cam that came in the junkyard engine in Miami, isnt in good shape. it sat for alot longer than they said it did.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Adam why are you so hung up on/worried about cam selection when you cant even keep an engine in the truck?

Something has to be going wrong here for you to keep ruining them. Whats the common thread with all of the engines? :hmm:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Who said i ruined camshafts?

For ~20 years ive ran ring gaps at 12/6 o clock to wrist pin.. just couple days ago found out you're not supposed to do that and why. Thanks to Jesse.
Leason learned.
AFAIK this is one of the few times if not the first time ring gap location to wrist pin has been mentioned/talked about.

Ill check the stuff, re ring/light hone it put it back together and go down the road.

And jeese got a couple leads on cam doctor in Dayton area.. they are an old school Chrysler speed shop

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Who said i ruined camshafts?

I was talking about ruining ENGINES....

For ~20 years ive ran ring gaps at 12/6 o clock to wrist pin.. just couple days ago found out you're not supposed to do that and why. Thanks to Jesse.
Leason learned.
AFAIK this is one of the few times if not the first time ring gap location to wrist pin has been mentioned/talked about.

How about in the Duramax service/rebuild manual? I usually consult that when Im assembling a Duramax engine.

And if you search, there are plenty of threads on here regarding ring alignment. Im pretty sure Fingers even told you specifically how to align them at one point, if I remember correctly. Id have to search though.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Ring alignment has been discussed in this thread and 180° gaps are mentioned i dont recall any one mentioning gaps related to thrust or wrist pin..untill recently..
Finger and i and others have gone round and round on ring gaps, ptwc and quench

This is the arguably first thing that has gone wrong that can be solely directed at me.
Let's recap the cause of the last 4 engine failures
on an engine that has made at most 413rwhp, spends 98% of its life below 3000rpm with vast majority of that between 18-2400rpm.
The others, split piston, sheared crank dowl pin(at some 245,000 miles), water pump, subsurface crack in main web.

Outside sub surface crack, the other 3 have destroyed engines at random both stock and modified.

Im in no means what soever trying to build a performance engine here.

Does that make me a shitty wrench?!? Apparently you think so.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ring alignment has been discussed in this thread and 180° gaps are mentioned i dont recall any one mentioning gaps related to thrust or wrist pin..untill recently..
Finger and i and others have gone round and round on ring gaps, ptwc and quench

This is the arguably first thing that has gone wrong that can be solely directed at me.
Let's recap the cause of the last 4 engine failures
on an engine that has made at most 413rwhp, spends 98% of its life below 3000rpm with vast majority of that between 18-2400rpm.
The others, split piston, sheared crank dowl pin(at some 245,000 miles), water pump, subsurface crack in main web.

Outside sub surface crack, the other 3 have destroyed engines at random both stock and modified.

Im in no means what soever trying to build a performance engine here.

Does that make me a shitty wrench?!? Apparently you think so.

Im just saying, after one engine assembled with pistons backwards/wrong side, and now messed up rings...Im confused why you havent been following the duramax service/assembly manual to a T.

Assembly errors aside, what does your tuning actually look like? Im honestly just curious.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Wow again

Adam something is wrong some way some how. I have hot shot hauler customers that tow heavy and have many many miles on there trucks and not a tenth of your problems. You are a trooper! lol I feel for you every time I read a motor problem post. The one truck 2011 with over 400k just lost a piston. As far as piston rings doing it because of the placement I don't buy it. The rotate all the time. If they didn't you would have problems from carbon. That is what wears out the ring groove.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Yes rings rotate, but ever so slightly. Just like a valve. If the ring gap was directly over the thrust surface during break-in, that would be detrimental to ring/cylinder life IMO.

And didn't Adam have trouble getting the rings to seat this last go-round?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I posted this, with ~200 miles on engine #4. Rings where seated by 10,000 miles
69043_10207351172071103_8539388138605234771_n.jpg

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Rings

If the rings don't seal in the first couple of minutes there not going to seal. If that motor blow oil out like that it had something wrong from the start. That's bad.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
If the rings don't seal in the first couple of minutes there not going to seal. If that motor blow oil out like that it had something wrong from the start. That's bad.
X2. It doesn't take 10 000 miles to seat them in a factory engine.

After a couple thousand I would be tearing it down again to see what went sideways.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state

The 3 times i put an unmolested OEM engine in either of my trucks. It did that for about 10k... explain that

Or explain how every engine whether i assembled or seasoned assembled GM engines uses extre 1-2 gallons of oil the first 10k miles then drops down to 1-1.5 qts per 10k

Last edited:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Maybe you have super bum luck with motors? The rings should seat quickly, within a hundred miles, IMO.

When I built my motor, my rings were seated on the first test drive. Didn't even use 1/4 quart of oil for the first change at 800 miles. From then on, it has used about 0.5-0.75 quart per 10k miles. That is with loose rings in my built motor. When it was stock, it would use 0.1 quart per 10k miles, or less. Yes, 1/10th of a quart.

If you're seeing that much oil consumption, something is wrong, IMO. PCV problem, ring problem, etc. You're using more oil than my Dad's Cummins, and it has enough blowby to plug the radiator regularly, and never moves without a trailer behind it (like yours, I suppose).

Edit: OK, I have to ask, though this may derail the thread horribly... What oil are you using during break-in, and then during normal operation?

Last edited: