LMM: LMM with 222,000 tear down rebuild

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Not a terrible price. That's not assembled right? Machining costs add up quickly.

Correct unassembled...
It's about 300.00 more then last similar bill... This shop is sitting next to several race teams saw several 500+ci billet aluminum blocks in various stages. In sure there is some premium in price there

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Was a factory GM long block not ever considered, or just not an option?

If I was getting rid of the truck... Sure... Put mahle race cast pistons in.. All OEM pistons have failed under 500 HP and towing heavy..some more then others...
Mark race cast pistons haven't failed directly related to themselves

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Why are you on his case? :confused: Hopefully I'm "reading into it too much" but you're remarks seem snide. No sense in it if that's the case.

Brian and a few others seem to have it in their heads that if Adam were to buy a Cummins, he wouldn't have any problems. For some reason they have bought into the hype that a Cummins is indestructible. I guess all the Cummins engines I have rebuilt were flukes, and they weren't even worked all that hard. I have a customer that owns a couple of 2012 4500 Rams he uses to hotsho. His two trucks have had 3 engine failures, two transmission failures (Aisin AS68RC input shaft broke on both), two transfer cases, several injectors, a couple of turbos, and more things I probably can't even remember.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Brian and a few others seem to have it in their heads that if Adam were to buy a Cummins, he wouldn't have any problems. For some reason they have bought into the hype that a Cummins is indestructible. I guess all the Cummins engines I have rebuilt were flukes, and they weren't even worked all that hard. I have a customer that owns a couple of 2012 4500 Rams he uses to hotsho. His two trucks have had 3 engine failures, two transmission failures (Aisin AS68RC input shaft broke on both), two transfer cases, several injectors, a couple of turbos, and more things I probably can't even remember.

Thank-you...
I'm more familiar with the Dmax platform I'll think I'll stick with it or a whle

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Why are you on his case? :confused: Hopefully I'm "reading into it too much" but you're remarks seem snide. No sense in it if that's the case.

Just regarding to the fact that it seems as if Adam is the only one blowing up motors left and right to problems that certainly could have been avoided. Rushing engine builds, questionable machine work etc and flat out trying to tow consistently over the max weight for thousands of miles takes it's toll..

When was the last time you seen someone lunchbox 5 engines in a row besides Dmitri? Makes you think.
No, I'm not saying that going to a Cummins would solve everything, but it may save him from rebuilding junkyard motors every 6 months and actually make money in a reliable truck..

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona

We don't need to be splitting hairs Josh. You know what I meant. :hug:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Cummins won't solve a thing. Hell they had to figure out more than a few things just to get the 385hp cal to run a hotbox test. It's not the end all platform, it may handle more short term power, but day in day out hotshotting takes its toll no matter what. Have fun wearing out those two cam bearings, scoring those flat tappet lifters, and probably melting down #5 piston in that 6.7. Oh and hopefully those plastic piston cooling nozzles don't break on you :D

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Just regarding to the fact that it seems as if Adam is the only one blowing up motors left and right to problems that certainly could have been avoided. Rushing engine builds, questionable machine work etc and flat out trying to tow consistently over the max weight for thousands of miles takes it's toll..

When was the last time you seen someone lunchbox 5 engines in a row besides Dmitri? Makes you think.
No, I'm not saying that going to a Cummins would solve everything, but it may save him from rebuilding junkyard motors every 6 months and actually make money in a reliable truck..

i think alot of us understand what your saying and i dont doubt Adam has thought twice about what caused the issues hes had. but hes also not here bitching and griping about "whoes me..." and so on and so forth or just flat out being whiny over his issues ya know? i see more from everyone else than him, even on FB. His ambition is pretty steller and i dont see him working anyone over for what hes doing either. He hasnt asked anyone what he should do but we all seem to want to voice our opinion and he continues on the path HE wants to go down.

Its the same deals as when you and i were talking about swapping trucks and you wanting to go with newlys truck after you told me you wanted to go 9s. I agrued the point it was heavier, specially for the guy who is all about weight savings :D. You still did what you wanted to do and i didnt keep harping on it (ok, maybe some but only as friendly banter :hug:). I dont blame you for it or hold it against ya. hell not even now that you own a cummins and have a gasser build! the fact i still worked on that cummins says something :roflmao: :D

i personally am glad hes sticking with it. i would have done a few things differently in his shoes a few motors back BUT im not him and i dont do what hes doing. When adam has asked me for ideas on things, i try to give him info without bias just like i try to do here though its hard to do sometimes.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
The fact that Adam shares his trials and tribulations with us is awesome. I can't imagine a better practical endurance test for our engines.

I seriously hope this is the last build you have to do, or at least give you enough time to make a living and get a spare drivetrain on the shelf.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state

4 engines.. Died
1 Piston @222k miles
2 reluctor wheel Dowel pin/crankshaft @244k
3 Water pump/bearings(junkyard LBZ) 263k ~19k on new water pump.
4 Using a block that had a crankshaft break inside even though everything checked out. And machined back to spec @265k

All under while running less then 3000rpm 420rwhp never sees anything EGTa above 1150° peak or sustained and on a bone stock transmission.. Engine #4 I really didn't know any better and never heard of it happening untill now. Never even thought to ask a question about it either.. Hell it last ~2000miles before it broke, probably never know if it was just a DD!

I've called several machine shops. Asked if they have seen a block break a crank, nothing wrong with block after through checking machine back to spec.. Then break a main web.. All have answered yes...
Normally you break a crankshaft you're lucky to be able to save the heads and above, everything is scrap after that, because its a WOT and upper rpm band..

Other 3 have lasted 2-10 times more the miles I or others have gotten out of said components and failed with no rhyme or reason

Rushing engine builds?!? I usually put 50 hours give or take checking clearance fitments etc from tear down to fully assembly ready to drop back in the truck..
Talking with Wagler Competition.. They charge 15 hours labor to tear down a fully dressed engine... Never asked what labor is for assembly on a BASIC assembly..

Fast as in calander fast? If I'm not driving I'm at home either wrenching or bored out my.mind thinking of things today while I'm down waiting on someone else M-F 9-5 day/week. Ive done enough I can call and order have parts stockpiled that I need waiting for the engine to get back...
Then is 15-18hour days assembling/measuring..

Fwiw I took 3 days to pull and strip the engine this last time. usually it's 1.5-2 days or 36-48 hours including sleep from when I pull the first bolt to being ready to drop off at a machine shop. All With no help.
Am I fast? IDK I don't think so.. But I don't have a gf/wife/kids I have to attend to either..

I think the quickest I've done a turnaround is 10-11 calendar days. From initial time of breakage. Head gaskets failure excluded
IF everything goes well there is a good chance truck will be running again by/on 12/7/15, it broke 11/19/15 that's 17-18 days pending how one wants to count it. That's including 4 day weekend for the machine shop for thanksgiving day.

What sucks... ~$7000.00 will get
Mahle pistons
Billet rods
ARP fw, MS, balance bolts
Machine work for deck, balance, bore main, full block check
Keyed crank/cam
Bearing and gaskets LML HB.
Heads be another $3-500 clean pressure check deck..

Less then $8,000 one has a reliable long block good for ~750hp with good Tuning
Labor not included in price.

I haven't had any more the $6,000 at anyone break down and I have to factor in lost $$$ due to down time and still got to pay bills... Time is a very Important factor in what/how I approach problems..

Anyways. Brian go get laid then eat a snickers or eat a snickers then get laid... you're not acting like yourself.... :beer

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
The fact that Adam shares his trials and tribulations with us is awesome. I can't imagine a better practical endurance test for our engines.

I seriously hope this is the last build you have to do, or at least give you enough time to make a living and get a spare drivetrain on the shelf.

Honestly I hope it helps others on what breaks and why if there's a reason... Maybe save someone some $$$$

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
Danville farms or subcontracts the engibe work out

Yeah this is correct, I'm not sure if haisley machine or merchant have duramax machineing capabilities, trying to think of options in the Midwest, has any of the latest setups been ran with your new gearing setup? Couldn't remember

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Yeah this is correct, I'm not sure if haisley machine or merchant have duramax machineing capabilities, trying to think of options in the Midwest, has any of the latest setups been ran with your new gearing setup? Couldn't remember

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The trip out to Colorado and everything after had the 4.56 gears... Truck ran good even with tanker body on the back.. Could easily cruise 60-65 mph being 1-200 rpm in the power band 5th gear @65 is ~2200rpm.. Pulse width was 12-1300 of max 1750.. Previous with 3.73 I'd see 1500-1750uS just to maintain 60.. Rail was 25-26kpsi
EGT where 850-950 with 4.56.. 3.73 would be 950-1150

In short engine is working less..
Light, low wind drag loads its pretty short legged.. At anything above 70mph.
If I didn't speed soo much time in the Appalachians, smokies I'd gone 4.1 or 4.3.. Gear swap definitely helped out the TC in take off.. Less throttle and not blowing through the stall. TCC lockup is almost always before 25 usually shortly after I hit 2nd gear... Not having to weight till 35-40mph for TCC lockup is nice