LLY Ficm

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Someone may have written the Injector #'s in wrong pin positions on our new PCB..?

He was running the AF Cam version on a stock engine, and reported she was a bit smokey.... But on a good note, the plugNplay AF Cam release is now done if anyone needs it.
:p
Hay, I gave the updated pinouts to compensate for the labeling issue. Someone on your team goofed in writing them down 😛. I wonder how clean the cylinder walls are now with all the wash down 🤣

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Someone may have written the Injector #'s in wrong pin positions on our new PCB..?

He was running the AF Cam version on a stock engine, and reported she was a bit smokey.... But on a good note, the plugNplay AF Cam release is now done if anyone needs it.
:p
So that data I sent was useful then... LOL

Reactions: kidturbo

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
That wasn't the issue. I created it when messing around trying to figure out the issues. We had a mismatch in input vs output. Took a lot of hair pulling to figure it out and even more hair loss to find the correct pattern.

My test board that has the switches to swap around inputs on the fly locked up and stuck some injectors on. Only takes a few seconds like that to burn one up.

But have no fear, I have a handful of injectors on my bench setup that I can rob 😁
opps.... Well at least you know now...

Reactions: 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
As the code progresses and new capabilities are needed, new boards are built to provide such needs. This new board will have the ability to directly control the injector turn on spike duration. It will also be able handle PWM on the injector hold current to better control the current. The current code is running clean and pretty smooth. A few bugs to work out and CANbus needs to be added. Then we can start implementing the error checking and injector shutdown protocols

Latest board with no more electrolytic capacitors. I feel we are getting close
IMG_20240725_194608-01.jpeg
IMG_20240725_194618-01.jpeg

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Could be worse... Went to pick up that Ford today, Looks like I am sucking air on the low pressure side now. Didn't want to start after I Dropped the trailer back off. Primed the Filter head back up and it started leaking. Guess it's going to be a busy week of fixing stuff...

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Could be worse... Went to pick up that Ford today, Looks like I am sucking air on the low pressure side now. Didn't want to start after I Dropped the trailer back off. Primed the Filter head back up and it started leaking. Guess it's going to be a busy week of fixing stuff...
Lift pump?

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
Killer work!! Dang, need one of these like we've been talking about on the other thread. I didn't realize you were about to have one ready. Hat's off to you guys!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
As the code progresses and new capabilities are needed, new boards are built to provide such needs. This new board will have the ability to directly control the injector turn on spike duration. It will also be able handle PWM on the injector hold current to better control the current. The current code is running clean and pretty smooth. A few bugs to work out and CANbus needs to be added. Then we can start implementing the error checking and injector shutdown protocols

Latest board with no more electrolytic capacitors. I feel we are getting close
View attachment 125011
View attachment 125012

That’s seriously bad ass!

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Lift pump?
No. She bone stock except the stupid K&N CAI and the AFE Blade runner mouth piece that was on it. Also has Banks Cat back. I believe it had a lift pump or possibly they had a work bed on it because the filler neck was cut and spliced back together with a piece of tubing exactly where you would do it if you installed a lift pump with the return.

I think the Filter head needs a rebuild and I noticed the low pressure lines are all cracking so probably need to do those as well. when I went to prime it back up she started leaking a bit then stopped. The filter head was scorching hot when I tried to prime it.

Trying to figure out if I should get OE hoses or one of those kits from Merchant or DHD?

Reactions: 2004LB7

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Found this most elusive creature, camouflaged in decades of dust. Has many a hard mile on it, but let's see what's left.. Will I cook it?

Talking about the bone stoc LLY FICM of course... The rest of the truck is only on loan. A fine surviver example, that I first borrowed to tow a boat to Vegas on straight B100 over a decade ago. We have history.

Plus, the owner insisted I use it for our beta testing. It's survived 10yrs ownership by a GM tech, what's worse I could do to it??
Thank You Dustin.
0363b60fd15f2e5024a6ad09b5bb9b65.jpg
b866404019b5d24af206f30708bfd2b3.jpg
4a04c20484e68a123f16f1b019aad033.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
What's left to get from the FICM?
Capturing crank pattern live running in digital format to fine tune our glitch filtering. Replicating the uneven tooth gap times on the bench with arduino code, doesn't yield true real world results.. Maybe tomorrow I slap our board on it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Expanding on what Ken is saying. With the combustion events, there is a momentary increase in speed of the reluctor wheel and thus a faster tooth count. Then the speed slows down . This creates a flast and slow capturing of the RPMs and time between the teeth. The current code didn't really take this into account as the bench setup doesn't have any real combustion so the reluctor is unrealistically smooth and easy to read and calculate RPM, start point or gap and counting teeth or crank angle calculation. But when the teeth or signal speeds and slows so quickly as it does on a diesel engine it can look like the teeth are bouncing back and forth creating a false impression that the RPMs are much higher then they actually are

The code is being revised to deal with this. We are trying to capture more data on the live crank signal so we can analyze it, calculate time between pulse signals, figure out minimum and maximum times and such. All to help build coding that can read this more varied pulse signal with better accuracy. After all it's integral to calculating the delay of the injector firing. So it has to be robust and fault tolerant