LBZ Tuning????????????

Matt750

On a Time Out
Apr 29, 2012
I AM NOT PAYING FOR A TUNE, I GOT SCAMMED INTO BUYING 2 TUNES WITH MY EFI LIVE AND NEVER RECEIVED THEM, UNLESS YOU ARE PUTTING MY TRUCK ON A DYNO I AM NOT PAYING FOR ANY MORE SOFTWARE. As a heads up to everyone else, I ordered mine from UDP underground diesel "performance", located in Las Vegas Nevada. I would advise going elsewhere for your diesel needs.

Are there any knowledgeable people out there willing to share some tuning tips? I just want to put together something like McRats 20/20 tune, but his method does not apply to tuning an LBZ. I have experimented with pedal position to desired torque, but it is leaving me wanting more. I have spent the last three days searching for useful posts on the subject to no avail. I have found a few useful bits of info, such as logging what my turbo vanes are doing so that I can apply the averages to the table to optimize their function, which I will be factoring in. I figured out how to log/rescale the MAF on my own, which I would be happy to share with the rest of the LBZ guys out there. Once I have a better grasp I'll put together a write up so that those of you in this situation aren't forced to pay hundreds of dollars just to get another 50-100hp out of a product you just spent over $1000 on.

Matt750

On a Time Out
Apr 29, 2012
No, the standard efi live unit +2 tunes of your choice deal that many places run.

bevi

Jan 17, 2010
Nh
How many times did you contact them about this? I've got stuff from them and never had a problem.

2003Duramaxlb7

May 4, 2014
Pensacola,FL
Is'nt that High? I think My buddy afew years back spent like 1k on the 5-tunes with the DS Switch through EFI live.. Rob,with Blackbear I think is who tuned his.. I want to see about getting my lb7 tuned,But who to tune it.?

Matt750

On a Time Out
Apr 29, 2012
Made contact multiple times, basically the message they conveyed was "we have your money already, you can eff right off". If they wanted positive reviews they would provide a positive customer experience, no one should have to chase a vendor for something they were promised and paid for up front.

Let's not continue on the topic of poor vendor experiences. The purpose of this thread is to establish a safe and sane, stock trans friendly, around +100hp tuning procedure for LBZ owners using EFI Live.

bevi

Jan 17, 2010
Nh
Is'nt that High? I think My buddy afew years back spent like 1k on the 5-tunes with the DS Switch through EFI live.. Rob,with Blackbear I think is who tuned his.. I want to see about getting my lb7 tuned,But who to tune it.?

Look into auto cal

Matt750

On a Time Out
Apr 29, 2012
That's about the going price of a flashscan V2. It is a very useful tool when you know what you are doing with it, I've seen people recommend different stuff and post a few pointers, but no solid tutorials on doing a DD tune like I am talking about. At times I miss the simplicity of carburetors.

jevanb

Feb 28, 2011
montrose, michigan
I AM NOT PAYING FOR A TUNE, I GOT SCAMMED INTO BUYING 2 TUNES WITH MY EFI LIVE AND NEVER RECEIVED THEM,
so you bought a v2 and did not get the tunes that were promised??? or you did get the tunes but don't see much of a difference between what was installed and what you had all ready?? buddy at work swears buy them.

Matt750

On a Time Out
Apr 29, 2012
Did not receive the tunes promised, since then I have found a few tunes here and there, but not anything that really stands out. I sent them a list of modifications done, what I was looking for and offered to send a couple of log files, no dice. They came across as decent folks up front, maybe I rubbed them the wrong way expecting a tailored tune when they just wanted to send some canned tunes. I'm far beyond the point where I would trust their work now anyway. I am an engineering student with a background as an auto/motorcycle mechanic, I'm on the up and up when it comes to motor theory, stoichiometry, I actually enjoy doing electrical work, you may be getting the idea that I like to be self sufficient. That being established, I have done some stuff to let the truck inhale/exhale a little better than stock, I've got my boost, drive pressure, and Pyro gages to let me know if something bad is happening. I can feel and see spots where I could improve the fueling and boost, and at this point I am about to just start trial and error on my own. Two items I will be sharing thus far is how to correct your target vane position table (im running FINGERS vanes, yes they kick arse) and how to rescale your MAF table, both of which are done using your trucks own log files and some simple map trickery.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Starlite diesel has some books to help get a good understanding on tuning. Most guys will not share there tuning tricks on open forums no more. Gives the competion more info.

Matt750

On a Time Out
Apr 29, 2012
I have seen the books, they are pretty expensive when you compare it to free information. Feel free to throw us all a bone at any time, I realize people need to make money out there, but there is a lot of difference between building a pro tune with the truck on a dyno and just "cleaning up" the stock tune. Help or don't, I don't blame people for trying to protect their business, but I am of the mind that people helping people makes the world a better place for everyone. I am certainly more inclined to do business with people that help me, you've read my opinion of those that don't. As I said, when I have come up with a good procedure, I will be posting it with very clear, step by step instructions in order to help those who aren't so tech savvy.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I think the problem your going to run into on this site is most of the members that tune are very experienced and do some really in depth stuff. I can see they probably don't know where to even start as far as helping you out goes. I myself have a basic understanding of tuning with EFI but I don't even attempt to make an ECM tune. I do my own TCM tuning but in my opening its much easier to wrap your head around and mistakes don't cost so much lol.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
That's about the going price of a flashscan V2. It is a very useful tool when you know what you are doing with it, I've seen people recommend different stuff and post a few pointers, but no solid tutorials on doing a DD tune like I am talking about. At times I miss the simplicity of carburetors.

Sent you a pm

Matt750

On a Time Out
Apr 29, 2012
To the couple people that PM'd me offering help, thank you very much for offering to spend time making something right that was never your responsibility in the first place. You are definitely the high caliber kind of folks I would go to when I need to spend money.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Why do you need to rescale the maf table? Does it have a different intake? The vanes shouldn't need a whole lot of tweaking. As long as the vane min table allows it, they should freely open up when desired boost is reached. I would run a stock table and see how it acts first.

Matt750

On a Time Out
Apr 29, 2012
MAF didn't need much, but I changed everything including the mouth piece. Extrude honed afe blade runner mated to a volant CAI w/out the ram air. I started with my stock tune and massaged it from there. The vanes did need some tweaking, and doing so showed great improvement, the 3" dp and 4" dp back probably play a part there.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Did not receive the tunes promised, since then I have found a few tunes here and there, but not anything that really stands out. I sent them a list of modifications done, what I was looking for and offered to send a couple of log files, no dice. They came across as decent folks up front, maybe I rubbed them the wrong way expecting a tailored tune when they just wanted to send some canned tunes. I'm far beyond the point where I would trust their work now anyway. I am an engineering student with a background as an auto/motorcycle mechanic, I'm on the up and up when it comes to motor theory, stoichiometry, I actually enjoy doing electrical work, you may be getting the idea that I like to be self sufficient. That being established, I have done some stuff to let the truck inhale/exhale a little better than stock, I've got my boost, drive pressure, and Pyro gages to let me know if something bad is happening. I can feel and see spots where I could improve the fueling and boost, and at this point I am about to just start trial and error on my own. Two items I will be sharing thus far is how to correct your target vane position table (im running FINGERS vanes, yes they kick arse) and how to rescale your MAF table, both of which are done using your trucks own log files and some simple map trickery.

How long ago did you buy this V2 and tunes? If it's the same one looks like you have had it for almost 2 years. But in the post says you got the tunes but did not trust them vs here you have not got any tunes with it.

Long story, picked up efi live flashscan 2, part of the deal was the vendor would supply two tunes of my choice. They had my stock tune and list of mods three weeks before we called about it. After being told I'd have it by the end of the night on at least three separate calls and receiving nothing, basically had to threaten litigation for breach of contract. Reputable source that deals in all the mods I've done, but for fear of retaliation I'd like someone to look at the tunes.

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?p=626918#post626918