Lb7s still amaze me

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
The only reason the lb7s have issues with head gaskets is they were inferior once replaced with upgraded 1s you should be good to go.Has nothing to do with the motor other then they are the 1s tha had the bad gaskets.Yes if you have a lb7 your going to have an issue sooner or later.Lb7s also have higher compression then the others. Iirc
Ive seen more LLY blow head gaskets with just handheld programmers & LLYs have the same compression ratio as LB7s
I am a believer in lift pumps & additives for sure!
Agreed, good filtration & regular maintenance also help

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I can't speak for the other engines, I've never owned one, the LB7....guess I'm too cheap...:roflmao::roflmao:

I have 2 LB7's...BLKMAX and Emma. I think the reason folks like the LB7's is because there are more LB7's on the road than any other engine model. No other models ran for 3.5 years.

All I know is that the injectors in the BLKMAX have been replaced 3 times (I KNOW that, I bought it new February 3, 2003). I know Emma's have been replaced at least once (I have the dealer receipt). The black truck is at 160,000, Emma is at 216k.

Both still run good... One runs harder than the other :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

All I can say is it is nice to have 2 trucks with the same engine and transmission!

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Ive seen more LLY blow head gaskets with just handheld programmers & LLYs have the same compression ratio as LB7s

Agreed, good filtration & regular maintenance also help

lly in my opinion are the worst for head gaskets!

ive seen more llys go thru MPLs shop than any other motor.

myself ive had 3 sets! the second set was 99% stock tuning ( egr delete; misc codes)
the last set I put head studs in!

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
The only reason the lb7s have issues with head gaskets is they were inferior once replaced with upgraded 1s you should be good to go.Has nothing to do with the motor other then they are the 1s tha had the bad gaskets.Yes if you have a lb7 your going to have an issue sooner or later.Lb7s also have higher compression then the others. Iirc

fyi

the gaskets changed a lot:( I remember having to wait on gaskets in 07 because of back orders

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
I've had my lb7 for just over a year now, been very happy with it. Runs strong, gets decent mileage, and overall nice to drive. I liked my Fords better, my 7.3 made more power and was a fun toy and my 6.4 was better for towing and daily driving, but this dmax is no slouch and has half the payment, so I've been happy with it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

MaxPowerLB7

Amateur
Nov 8, 2007
Spanish Fork, UT
I've had my lb7 for just over a year now, been very happy with it. Runs strong, gets decent mileage, and overall nice to drive. I liked my Fords better, my 7.3 made more power and was a fun toy and my 6.4 was better for towing and daily driving, but this dmax is no slouch and has half the payment, so I've been happy with it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Put the same budget on your lb7 as your 7.3, then give us a fair comparison.:D I really liked your 7.3 wish it was in my driveway. 6.4s are way awesome for towing/dd, drove a couple and have been impressed.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
This has been my point all along. I own a few different dmaxs. Everyone knows the lb7 will have hg or injector issues and u cant run high boost or high hp without studs. U can do studs, and run rods and there the same as any other dmax on the road then. Once there built u cant say ones better then the others. But the hg and injector issue and lb7s go hand in hand. Lb7s are for people that like working on there truck more. Lol
i like my lb7s i own. Wouldn't sell them, just sayin they made a few improvements in the later yrs. If u take an lb7, stud it, run a better gasket, u still might have to do injectors a few time.

I still love the sound of a lb7 the best tho. I even had my lbz tuned to sound kinda like one at idle.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i finally got my truck where i want it. Unless this motor goes, i dont think ill ever get rid of the truck. I dont think my fiance would let me either :D

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Wait so your sayin a life of a lb7 will have less injectors then an lbz? Lmm? And your sayin lbzs/lmm have more hg issues then a lb7 or lly?:roflmao: ive had 2 sets replaced on 2 of my lb7s, none on any of my lbzs or lmms. And my lbz in my sig has been 550+hp for 2.5yrs now. I guess i dont get it. Can u take a lb7 to 600hp and 55-60lbs of boost and not have issues? Cause u can with lbzs and lmms. Hundreds do this.

The lbz/lmm definately are more reliable on the head gaskets. No question at all.
I just checked though and we replaced more lbz injectors than any other dmax in the last 6 months

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Hmmm. I sure haven't seen many lbz/lmm with head gasket issues. I do have about 5-7 friends that have lb7s and llys that blew head gaskets. None were high hp trucks either. I dont consider mine high hp but i must be lucky with my lbz then, cause i have zero issues. My lb7 on the other hand i cant say that about.