Lb7s still amaze me

greif03lb7

cc/lb and lovin it
Dec 9, 2012
Granger, Ia
I think lb7's injectors are 10% larger stock then any duramax 01-10. I had a 03 lb7 with a fpe 68mm charger only running 39psi of boost but the hg's were never replaced. It was on its 3rd set of injectors when I sold it gm paid for them all. It dynoed 561hp before it was retuned so I would guess it was closer to 575hp when I sold it.

dmaxman06

May 25, 2011
morenci az
in my opinon on gm diesels

a good buddy owned a 6.2 surbuban and now i didnt own it but i helped him do all the work to it wheeling stuff lift tires ect other than that the big ol burb started and ran every time not a hp monster but ran down the road and got great mileage for a burb still runs today in kansas as a snow plow lol

i have owned a 6.5 and it was a great truck not a hp monster but it always ran down the road and never left me stranded should of never sold it only thing i did to it was put a bigger water pump in it and dual t stats

my lbz has been a great truck it has been at low 400 hp since about 08 about 100k and zero problems needs a trans but with all the abuse i put it throught its understandable

my lb7 had 190k when i got it owned by a farmer so i know it wasnt treated well and probley towed alot of heavy stuff has over 200k now and all the paperwork i got for it says injectors were done at 80k

i haven had any major problems with it othen than a carrier bearing and steering box leaks but no injectors to speak of runs great and i beat the piss outa it like when i get off of work after 12 hrs its time to get home i fire it up cold and stand of it the hole way home been doing that evey day on ppe lever 5 since i bought the truck and it keeps on trucking no major problems

so really i probley have been very lucky but just rember anything can happen at any time

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Could the LBZ/LMM's have better water pumps? I'm hearing more and more that trucks with bad HG's also tend to have bad water pumps. Anyone else seeing this trend or is it just a coinsodence?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Could the LBZ/LMM's have better water pumps? I'm hearing more and more that trucks with bad HG's also tend to have bad water pumps. Anyone else seeing this trend or is it just a coinsodence?
There was a thread a while back about a theroy that when head gaskets go on lb7 lly the w/p starts weeping and after changing the headgaskets finaly let go after a month or 2 or 3 and alot of people posted the same thing it happen to me also.The theroy was the compression leaking bny would take out the w/p seal as its week and then after a new pump is installed and nice and tight thats when it lets go and shows up.I think there may be something to that.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Loved my 02 LB7. Had injectors at 40k and was fine until I got my first LBZ.... and I have two more now.

GMC LBZ's for life, especially after you delete the EGR and cat :rofl:

I enjoy driving my GMT 800 more than my Dad's LML denali.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I hope that most people realize that injector failures usually come from three items. One you don't keep rail pressure under loads and it causes excessive wear, two, you got bad fuel that trashes the injector and three, they were installed by someone that wasn't clean and got debris into the injector or lines upon reinstall. It easier for the last item to occur on lb7's than any other models.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
I quite like my LB7. Granted there is always that chance of the injectors going again, but that is not unusual for a diesel. A newer truck would be awsome, but the best part of mine is that it is paid off!!

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I hope that most people realize that injector failures usually come from three items. One you don't keep rail pressure under loads and it causes excessive wear, two, you got bad fuel that trashes the injector and three, they were installed by someone that wasn't clean and got debris into the injector or lines upon reinstall. It easier for the last item to occur on lb7's than any other models.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I agree with the clean fuel and maintanance. I had an 03 LB7 mildly tuned and actually have really good clean fuel where I live. I traded the 03 in on my 06 it had 95k miles on it. Balance rates were great and it ran like a top. I know the 03's had the better LB7 injectors but most people see signs of wear by 100k if not failure.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
320000 miles

Cylinder_zps3a44b190.jpg

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
Not sure how old this thread is, but I tested an 05 lly with 177k miles, and the next day (today) we tested a 04 lb7 stock with 272k miles on it, and we were both shocked at how the lb7 just had more power everywhere.. The lb7 had two injectors going out too, it was hazing like crazy