Lb7s still amaze me

ctrump90

ctrump90
Jan 11, 2012
Clare, IL
My step dad had a 89 6.2 with 369, 000 on the original trans motor and rearend it ate 5 injection pumps but other then that pretty trouble free.it was no hot rod at 117 horse but it was good on fuel.You could get it in a 1/2 ton also.

My father also had one of those. Ran great wish I would have took it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yes they are all the same so far as when porting is done they all carve the same from 01 to 10 anyways.

Are you sure? i know there is definitly a difference between Federal and Cali heads on a LB7 but did the LLYs model after the Federal LB7s or Cali LB7s?

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Why is it always the lb7 guys that put on the pom poms and cheerlead around about the lb7s:D. I own 2 lb7s, had 2lbzs, and had 2 lmms. Still have 1 lb7 and my dd lbz. By far lbz hands down is best.:angel: And to the comments about look who's on the quick 50 list, there a dime a dozen, cheapest ones to buy and mod, and have been around the longest, of coarse there goin to be more of them.

Its probably because they have been around and have the longest proven track record of kicking ass! Trust me I have owned em all except the Lml and like em all. I do like the lb7 mostly because they have super powers! lol.:D:roflmao:

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Oh ive owned a bunch my self. Still own 3 different dmax motored trucks. Lol all for my landscaping business work trucks. Only one thats gave me real problems is the all mighty super powered lb7. Bought it brand new, and wouldnt sell it. I do like it but wouldnt put it in the best dmax catagory.

I just get a kick out of giving the lb7 cheerleaders some crap. Just fun. Nothin else. There all in the best diesel pick up catagory out of whats available from all makes.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Are you sure? i know there is definitly a difference between Federal and Cali heads on a LB7 but did the LLYs model after the Federal LB7s or Cali LB7s?

Sorry should have specified the calis........I dont know if they are different I've heard both ways and have not tried to get a set cut yet to see if the cutter starts on the edge or if a new program has to be adjusted for the opening.I guess 1 could flow 2 different ports o each to see what the difference is if any.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Oh ive owned a bunch my self. Still own 3 different dmax motored trucks. Lol all for my landscaping business work trucks. Only one thats gave me real problems is the all mighty super powered lb7. Bought it brand new, and wouldnt sell it. I do like it but wouldnt put it in the best dmax catagory.

I just get a kick out of giving the lb7 cheerleaders some crap. Just fun. Nothin else. There all in the best diesel pick up catagory out of whats available from all makes.

Dont let my truck hear this but.................lbz's are my fav with a fixed vane turbo

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Why is it always the lb7 guys that put on the pom poms and cheerlead around about the lb7s:D. I own 2 lb7s, had 2lbzs, and had 2 lmms. Still have 1 lb7 and my dd lbz. By far lbz hands down is best.:angel: And to the comments about look who's on the quick 50 list, there a dime a dozen, cheapest ones to buy and mod, and have been around the longest, of coarse there goin to be more of them.

I am sure if the people on the quick 50 list wanted a newer model they could definitly afford it. But also it dont make since to pay a extra 5-10000 for a truck that can barely do the same thing.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
:confused: barley do?? What do u mean? Go thru couple sets of injectors or head gaskets? If thats what u mean ill agree with u, the newer ones cant do that nearly as often or as well.

Last edited:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I'm sorry. Never seen a lly or lbz with blown head gaskets or bad injectors. Oh wait yes I have numerous times.

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
I have to say as much as I love my lbz, I've already replaced 10 injectors in the short time I've owned it :(

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Wait so your sayin a life of a lb7 will have less injectors then an lbz? Lmm? And your sayin lbzs/lmm have more hg issues then a lb7 or lly?:roflmao: ive had 2 sets replaced on 2 of my lb7s, none on any of my lbzs or lmms. And my lbz in my sig has been 550+hp for 2.5yrs now. I guess i dont get it. Can u take a lb7 to 600hp and 55-60lbs of boost and not have issues? Cause u can with lbzs and lmms. Hundreds do this.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
The only reason the lb7s have issues with head gaskets is they were inferior once replaced with upgraded 1s you should be good to go.Has nothing to do with the motor other then they are the 1s tha had the bad gaskets.Yes if you have a lb7 your going to have an issue sooner or later.Lb7s also have higher compression then the others. Iirc

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
I must be lucky but I have had 3 lb7's & only one of them had inj trouble @ 70k. one of the two lilys had failures @ 80k no troubles on the newer ones. The current lb7 I am running has been @ 548hp for the last couple of years. I am a believer in lift pumps & additives for sure!