L5P L5P Tuning

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I have a feeling that we will not be dealing with a GM base tune when/IF they start tuning the LP5. I feel someone will come up with a way to wipe the ECU completely clean and create a base file from scratch, that way you do not have to worry about encryption or "stealing data/technology" deal that OE's started screaming about before. After that is accomplished, with that much R and D done, we most likely will start seeing Plug and Play aftermarket ECU's like most Gas stuff has been doing for years.

And the security will prevent this. The Ford's got figured out through a non US market back door, but the encryption on the L5P isn't just to stop reading, it is also there to stop flashing. If the boot key of the flash doesn't match, then the ECM will not accept it. That is the L5P hurdle to overcome.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
For those who don't follow facebook, I just seen some postings from Gale Banks saying they hope to have there derringer and 6 gun inline tuners available for the l5p in the near future, as well as there own stand alone ecm for them. He also hinted that calibrated power solutions(duramax tuner) is working on something. I know he's been in several of Gale's video's regarding the l5p, so who knows. I'm wondering if it's going to be a supplemental controller that plugs inline with several sensors and the injectors, or if he got an in to gain access to the seed key to allow the ecm to even accept a flash? Looks like tuning may be coming afterall, just limited to a select few.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=845193335631605&id=100004228393641

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I saw Nick with Gale in a video. I wouldn't doubt something is in the works. To be honest, the best tuning I've had was pink slippers tuning...

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Uh oh.... Less then a month ago it couldn't be done!! Absolutely no way no how!! Never gonna happen!

Now, uh yeah, might have something soon. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maxxer442

Jan 11, 2010
It's coming, I can feel it. Be interesting to see what the tune-only limit will be. Based on that podcast, it sounds like the charger. Gonna have to build the trans just to handle a tune!

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Uh oh.... Less then a month ago it couldn't be done!! Absolutely no way no how!! Never gonna happen!

Now, uh yeah, might have something soon. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Only if GM allows it. If banks is involved so is GM to a certain extent...

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
after watching that video it sure seems like the L5p has the potential to be a seriously nasty motor!
I'm curious if the head casting the way it is might actually be a breaking point?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Only if GM allows it. If banks is involved so is GM to a certain extent...

Exactly. GM wants their cut, nothing more, nothing less.... GM stands to make millions selling access. Think about when this is carried over to the LS world (I’m assuming a lock down on ecm tuning is coming for them too)

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Looks like Gale is picking up an L5P from a guy in the service, who is un able to use his truck until he's home.

b017686addd510d26af731c6a79b48f4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Gale Banks is not using a GM Truck ECM, to my knowledge its a Stand Alone built by Bosch.

GM is not going to invest in locking down the ECM and TCM and then give away the secrets to accessing it to Gale Banks or Duramaxtuner.

I wish it were that easy, and some have stated the ecm is smart enough to know if an inline box or fooler is installed.

They cannot even get them to run correctly stock, wait until the inline boxes are developed ( IF ) they even get released there will be even more problems with the emissions systems than they already have.

GM went to the level of difficulty to prevent exactly what we have been doing to be done............no way are they going to license it to Banks or any tuning company.

I predict something will happen with L5P, but it will not be with EFI-Live or any other tuning platform currently out now unless the info is obtained from GM.

From what I know the entire digital signature would need both the secret and public keys discovered, the hash correctly calculated, the key would have to be known to create a new private signing key so that each tune created would be acceptable to the ecm's checks.

That means whomever gets the info to replace the key and sign calibration files with a new key and new hash will be in control of the ecm after that is replaced.

Since SHA is almost impossible if not impossible to break it will take lots of $$$$$$$$ and lots of processing power to break it.

:thumb:

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
after watching that video it sure seems like the L5p has the potential to be a seriously nasty motor!
I'm curious if the head casting the way it is might actually be a breaking point?
How so?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Gale Banks is not using a GM Truck ECM, to my knowledge its a Stand Alone built by Bosch.

:thumb:

I am really not in the loop on this whole thing, but I have a relative who is on the warranty team for the Duramax platform (contract to GM).

When I bought my LML, he was telling me the whole CP4 situation and Bosch's refusal to step up and warranty the CP4s, caused a pretty big rift between GM and Bosch.

He told me that Bosch is not involved with the L5P platform. (but he was also unaware that there were kits to swap a CP3 in place of the CP4)

So if Bosch built the stand alone ECM on the Banks deal, that would be interesting.

But I could be wrong.

The other thing I read about the in-line torque multiplier boxes (I think Ben was commenting on a FB post), is that the ECM would see the motor is producing more torque than what was called for. It would then set a code?

What the hell do I know, I can't even spell L5P.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I am really not in the loop on this whole thing, but I have a relative who is on the warranty team for the Duramax platform (contract to GM).

When I bought my LML, he was telling me the whole CP4 situation and Bosch's refusal to step up and warranty the CP4s, caused a pretty big rift between GM and Bosch.

He told me that Bosch is not involved with the L5P platform. (but he was also unaware that there were kits to swap a CP3 in place of the CP4)

So if Bosch built the stand alone ECM on the Banks deal, that would be interesting.

But I could be wrong.

The other thing I read about the in-line torque multiplier boxes (I think Ben was commenting on a FB post), is that the ECM would see the motor is producing more torque than what was called for. It would then set a code?

What the hell do I know, I can't even spell L5P.
Not sure if it would set a code, but it will record the tq so if they dig deep enough on a warranty claim they will find that.