L5P L5P Tuning

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
All I know is it looks like I got lucky again. First time with an ‘07 LBZ and now with a ‘16 LML.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Well I put 57k miles on a L5P and then I traded it for a Cummins haha.. Well now I'm back in a 16 model lml and I absolutely love it.. (tuned already of course)... I can say that the stock the L5p is powerful and an awesome truck, but if they don't come out with tuning for them soon then I won't ever have one again..

I put on to many miles to have one outside of warranty and I want to keep my trucks more than two years.. Hope that's true about tuning being out soon, I'm anxious to see what they can do lol..

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
There are some killer deals on 15-16 trucks
Especially ones guys have tuned because dealers won’t accept them as trades

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I traded my 17 model ram in on my 16 lml and I had it deleted and tuned.. They acted like it wasn't a big deal, but then a few days later the salesman texted me and asked if I could bring the stock exhaust to them.... But they had already sold my old truck so I dunno just depends on dealer I guess..

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
There are some killer deals on 15-16 trucks
Especially ones guys have tuned because dealers won’t accept them as trades

I had to return my 15 to stock when I traded it for my 16, it was such a pain I left the 16 stock. I figure it will be worth a ton (bc I left it alone) when the 20 comes out if I decide I want one. This LML might just stay with me. Lol...

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
When I trade in my 12 lml I just dumped the stock exh back in the truck and removed aftermarket exh, wich I still have laying around along with intake

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Obviously someone has no idea how these processors are programmed.

The person who brought up the compiler issue, stated so when I made same case for starting from scratch on a new OS and existing hardware. Basically saying those are not a single use processor, so compiler config needs to perfectly match the boards other hardware, drivers, ect. Which equals a lot more time to reverse for starters. I can't verify, since I've never cracked one open, or played with a J-tag tool on these ECU's. But the source is well respected.

I do agree there should be a way to do it, with a little help. The E35, best known to rest of world by another manufacture part# I can't recall, would be a great starting point. It was also used by MB and others. However I once attempted to load a LBZ OS to E35B and LMM to E35A version just for chits and giggles. It actually loads about 90% of the bin, then soft bricks.. So there is obviously some memory mapping differences between those two.

Also ran into similar issues on the GM E38, by installing the wrong year OS file with Tech2. It powers up, runs fine on bench, but shows as locked with no SN or VIN when you try to read/write again. Is a documented memory allocation issue, based on year, using same hardware. So at a min the bootloader is diff.

I've been working with a new stand alone ECU manufacture I met at PRI on unrelated project. I'll find out what's actually involved in driving 50volt injectors, and if they have any interest. Also my friend across the pond said check out this manufacture.

https://www.huber-automotive.com/services/?lang=en

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Kidturbo, have you verified that the injectors run at 50 volts? If so, seems to me one may be able to showhorn an LLY or LBZ ecm into it. Don't they run at 48 volts?

It may not work with the rest of the computers, BCM, etc but maybe as a stand alone???

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
50 volt is just a general range that covers us up to LML. The early FICM was basically a "driver" for powering the Bosch injectors, with control from an ECM without amplified circuits. Kinda a quick and dirty solution, that worked well but has it's down sides. Starting with LBZ, the injector drivers were included in the ECM/PCM.

Then things get really tricky when we hit the LML with high power Piezo injectors. Anyone notice how large that ECM is? Reminds me of an early Mach-1000 amplifier they used in late 90's Mustangs, but with larger heat sink fins. That's because half the ECU is an amplifier to drive these new injectors.

None of gasser stuff has to deal with high voltages or amperage output, and thus the same ECM can operate wide range of engine coil or injector configurations. As where we have to base our hardware design on what injectors it needs to control.

[YOUTUBE]67GSNUR7eqM[/YOUTUBE]

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Is anyone running the Banks derringer yet?

Yup, put one on my CC/SB a few weeks ago. stock left pic, Derringer right pic. Could have went 14.3’s if I would have removed the 5th wheel, air in bags & tires, plus junk in the back no problem. Stock time slip was without all the weight.

0a4521858c7d5a8f433302d34de66dc0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Would you say it’s worth the price?

I feel that the truck should come like this from the factory, I definitely like how it woke the motor up. For being a piggy back unit, I think it’s worth the coin. Only thing I wish we could do is get rid of the speed limiter, passing a car and hitting the limiter quick isn’t safe

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Dang it lol I’m not ready to sell my truck yet but I swore to myself the Day tuning becomes available in getting one:roflmao:
I’ll just sneak it into the work truck first to test the waters:thumb:

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
Dang it lol I’m not ready to sell my truck yet but I swore to myself the Day tuning becomes available in getting one:roflmao:
I’ll just sneak it into the work truck first to test the waters:thumb:

thats awesome, you basically have a free test tuner truck :woott::woott::woott: