JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
LOL... trying to squeeze the extra 1.2HP that GM left out of that motor?

My brother has one, I told him it wasn't worth the 75 bucks for a license.
It's a 5 speed with a blower and a cam. I'm trying to make it idle. It randomly retards the spark and drops RPM and almost dies then surges and settles back down (or it just dies). Plus it gets horrible gas mileage (around 13 MPG). I'm not really able to put much time into logging and tuning right now.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
The only thing that I didnt like about Justins DIY tune thread on DF was that he was using tunes of my friend, saying, "do not do this" yada yada yada, and "ive had to fix many tunes from him"

Why cant you just "fix" them? Why put down someone else when they have a lot more experience tuning, and you dont even know them. A lot of tuners have a different way of tuning, so everything isnt gunna be your cup of tea. Some safer than others, some not.

Also, IMHO, what makes a tuner have a good rep, is being able to tune stock to heavily modified, and anywhere in between. yea, Justin, I have seen some of your timing maps, but I dont go out and tell people to not run your tuning, I could care less. hell, Ive even heard your timing rattle in tunes, but I justt say "nice job man" and keep it to myself. You should do the same.
A lot of people run a lot of peoples tuning, or have seen it, saved it, changed it, resold it as theirs, im not accusing you of doing so, but pick some tunes of yours, run it on the track and let us know what your 600hp runs ;)

2009RavenR1

May 1, 2011
So WTF just happend with this thread?

We are all friends are going to hold hands and sing now?:hug:

Just kidding.

2009RavenR1

May 1, 2011
The only thing that I didnt like about Justins DIY tune thread on DF was that he was using tunes of my friend, saying, "do not do this" yada yada yada, and "ive had to fix many tunes from him"

Why cant you just "fix" them? Why put down someone else when they have a lot more experience tuning, and you dont even know them. A lot of tuners have a different way of tuning, so everything isnt gunna be your cup of tea. Some safer than others, some not.

Also, IMHO, what makes a tuner have a good rep, is being able to tune stock to heavily modified, and anywhere in between. yea, Justin, I have seen some of your timing maps, but I dont go out and tell people to not run your tuning, I could care less. hell, Ive even heard your timing rattle in tunes, but I justt say "nice job man" and keep it to myself. You should do the same.
A lot of people run a lot of peoples tuning, or have seen it, saved it, changed it, resold it as theirs, im not accusing you of doing so, but pick some tunes of yours, run it on the track and let us know what your 600hp runs ;)

I didn't say anything about who's tune it was Brian. And if you're talking about the video I posted its not timing rattle... I did the ice pick trick and it went away after that.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
And I think my first post in this thread should have been a good indicator.

I knew you had robs tunes, so thats why I said Rob is an excellent tuner.

Was that his tuning with your changes for 600hp? Dunno, and dont really care :D

TDFDiesel

I'm That Guy
Jan 6, 2011
Mesa, AZ
It's a 5 speed with a blower and a cam. I'm trying to make it idle. It randomly retards the spark and drops RPM and almost dies then surges and settles back down (or it just dies). Plus it gets horrible gas mileage (around 13 MPG). I'm not really able to put much time into logging and tuning right now.

Has he ever replaced the knock sensors?

JKF

May 25, 2011
I think your forgetting I started this thread asking about his work.

I have Justin's tuning. I have been pleased with what he's done; for starters, he made me a single tune that ran like crap. I called him, told him what was going on, sent a log, and within ten minutes he had a new tune to me. it was better, but still needed some tweaking. I kept telling him the results, and he kept sending me modified tunes. The last single tune ran good, but the mileage sucked, like 13, when I was getting 16-18. I let him know, and figured if he wanted to do something, he would, if not, I was going to go find a better tune, just for the mileage. Next Monday, Justin sends me a new tune, said to give it a try- WAY better, smoother idle, mileage back up to about 18, and that is hand calculated, BTW.
I ordered a DSP2 from Dallas at CFD, and for some reason got the DSP5, and he made the tunes for it at no additional charge. I am running 5 tunes, from a optimized stock to a hot street tune, 45hp- 110hp.
I just drove from Scio OR, where I live, to Prescott and Phoenix AZ, and back, and on the optimized stock tune I made 18.5mpg, and on the way home I had it on the tune just under the hottest, and made 20.5, and that was crossing four passes over 5k'.
The truck is running smooth, the power is great, and the smoke is minimal.
I have seen Justin posting on the Duramaxforum saying that he thinks Rob is probably the best tuner out there right now. I really would find it hard to believe that he would be copying someone else's tuning and pawning it off as his own. I have read too many time how that each truck reacts differently to tuning, and that you can't have a one size fits all, besides that fact that they don't all interchange, ie, LB7 to LBZ won't cross over.
I wonder why people think that there is only room for two or three professional tuners? When Rob or Nick started, did everyone say their tunes were junk that they copying from someone else? I have never run anyone else's tuning, so can't say how it compares, but so far I am pleased with what Justin has done.
And if anyone wants to say that I'm Justin posting as another user, you con do the following research;
My company name is Premier Drywall & Construction, Inc, located in Scio OR.
The state of OR requires all contractors to be licensed, my # is 178532, you can look it up on the Oregon Construction Contractors Board website, which you can google, I'm not gonna type out their crazy long website address.
I also have a DBA Premier Foam Insulation, licensed under the same number.
AND FURTHERMORE, Justin DID NOT ASK ME TO COME OVER HERE AND POST ANYTHING, another member on the DF saw that I had his tuning and sent me the link to this wacko tuner bash.
Have a GREAT day

battlegraduate09

Gearhead
Mar 18, 2010
before i got into this duramax shit i would have never guessed it was so cut throat and such a sensitive topic to discuss tuning.

should have left this damn thing stock

2009RavenR1

May 1, 2011
And Rob's tune I have is for stock turbo... I took the 4094 off due to my trans being TRASHED and went back to stock. Now the 4094 is back on the truck since I am doing headstuds and everything.

And yes I did do it with stock trans. It will hold 600HP in 4th gear. Will it do it in 5th? hell no.

Do my clutches prolly look like glazed donuts? Yes.

Did I run 600hp daily? Nope.

2009RavenR1

May 1, 2011
I will say, I have never been involved with a automotive community that is so hush hush about tuning. EVERY other tuning community shares tunes. Everybody gets better from it, and the sport benefits largely.