July '24 Chat -- Things that go "Boom" in the Night, and other random thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I never trust what I see on the internet. But here's some news articles from when the media jump the gun on saying what happened during the assassination attempt.

And one spoof just for fun.....

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1720920290967.jpg
    FB_IMG_1720920290967.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20240713-203148_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240713-203148_Facebook.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 15
  • FB_IMG_1720920282597.jpg
    FB_IMG_1720920282597.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 15
  • FB_IMG_1720920035018.jpg
    FB_IMG_1720920035018.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Watched the world's largest steam locomotive pass by on its way into Roseville, CA. today after work. Going to try and see it while it's on display over the weekend.

Man I would of like to see that. I'm not a train guy, but I did stop an see it in WY years ago. That thing is a monster.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'm starting to see this photo pop up around the internet.

GSiU0UgWYAAvg8Z.jpg

If it was captured from video then I'm calling B.S. i did the math for a 2600fps bullet and it's around 3k frames per second to be able to capture it like that. So unlikely unless someone was purposely trying to capture the "event" in high speed. If it's from a DSLR then 3k frames per second is believable. But the timing seems either shear luck or they had a method of triggering the camera at the right timing.

A coincidence in this situation seems a little hard to believe

Take it as you will

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Yeah I don't know a ton about cameras. But ya I have a hard time believing anything but a high speed camera would caught that. No one's gonna be filming that with a high speed camera. It would take an ungodly amount of data storage for the whole speech. Tinfoil had on though unless they knew when it was and a happen......

Reactions: 2004LB7

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I wish that train was still coal powered. Was converted to run on oil. Would be neat if there was still coal shoveling and cars over filled with coal behind the engine.
I don't know where the correct tender box is for that Loco but I recall seeing it a few years back. We followed it at a few crossings and then watched it steam around a hill. It was amazing to see!

Reactions: 2004LB7

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Some weird weather going on.. big front moving through central US and not moving in a common direction.. friends on bookface as said it put tornados down in northern Illinois area 1-2hrs outside Chicago.
Front is moving south vs east

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
The Low must've stalled out above Michigan, causing the weather not to run NE like "normal".

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I was talking about having to run the generator for a day because the powers out for extended time. Bill goes up several hundred dollars. Might be something related to many providers having usage rates where they increase the rate if exceed some many cubic feet. You end up in the highest tir and your bill racks up points fast. This is what makes other fuels more economical. Propane being nearly unlimited storage life can be purchased when the price is low without the risk of it going bad. Unlike other liquid fuels from the petrol stations. This can make propane an attractive option. Plus it shares the same the benefits of quieter engine running and lower exhaust smell of natural gas
I know you guys have already moved past this discussion, but since we have a natural gas whole house generator, I wanted to share my experience. We have natural gas for our central heat furnace, range, fireplace, and water heater also. Our gas bill is generally around 30-35 dollars a month, and in the winter, it will go up because of the gas used to heat the house. It starts to fall off as it warms up outside and we don't run the heat as much. Our highest bill last winter was $78 in Feb. March dropped to $60. April saw it fall another $4 to $56. In May we had our longest generator run time we have had. It ran for 16 hours. The bill that month went back up to $61. The temperatures were still coming down, so I would have expected the bill to drop again that month. I can't say for sure how much it would have been, but I know by the time the June bill hit, we were down to our normal 30-35 dollars. I think its safe to say it costs us no more than $45 to run for a whole day. That is assuming it cost us $30 to run for 2/3 of a day.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I know you guys have already moved past this discussion, but since we have a natural gas whole house generator, I wanted to share my experience. We have natural gas for our central heat furnace, range, fireplace, and water heater also. Our gas bill is generally around 30-35 dollars a month, and in the winter, it will go up because of the gas used to heat the house. It starts to fall off as it warms up outside and we don't run the heat as much. Our highest bill last winter was $78 in Feb. March dropped to $60. April saw it fall another $4 to $56. In May we had our longest generator run time we have had. It ran for 16 hours. The bill that month went back up to $61. The temperatures were still coming down, so I would have expected the bill to drop again that month. I can't say for sure how much it would have been, but I know by the time the June bill hit, we were down to our normal 30-35 dollars. I think its safe to say it costs us no more than $45 to run for a whole day. That is assuming it cost us $30 to run for 2/3 of a day.
Good information Josh. Maybe it's a regional and who you have as a provider. What kinda tiers the have

Status
Not open for further replies.