July '24 Chat -- Things that go "Boom" in the Night, and other random thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
I've heard reports that generators on natural gas consume so much it drive your gas bill way up. Where propane would be cheaper
Eh not really. My parents put in a natural gas generator two or three years ago with an auto kick function. The gas bill according to them is worth it for powering the entire house. I’m not sure how a propane generator would be more efficient.

Every Saturday it kicks on for 20 mins or so as a self test. Dad says that is a blip on the gas radar and not really something he even thinks about.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Eh not really. My parents put in a natural gas generator two or three years ago with an auto kick function. The gas bill according to them is worth it for powering the entire house. I’m not sure how a propane generator would be more efficient.

Every Saturday it kicks on for 20 mins or so as a self test. Dad says that is a blip on the gas radar and not really something he even thinks about.
I was talking about having to run the generator for a day because the powers out for extended time. Bill goes up several hundred dollars. Might be something related to many providers having usage rates where they increase the rate if exceed some many cubic feet. You end up in the highest tir and your bill racks up points fast. This is what makes other fuels more economical. Propane being nearly unlimited storage life can be purchased when the price is low without the risk of it going bad. Unlike other liquid fuels from the petrol stations. This can make propane an attractive option. Plus it shares the same the benefits of quieter engine running and lower exhaust smell of natural gas

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Depends on the quality of the gas coming in the line, pure well gas has a lot of the "tanes" in it, and will have similar BTU to propane. Stripped gas which is more or less straight methane would probably consume more fuel than propane

Reactions: 2004LB7

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
I was talking about having to run the generator for a day because the powers out for extended time. Bill goes up several hundred dollars. Might be something related to many providers having usage rates where they increase the rate if exceed some many cubic feet. You end up in the highest tir and your bill racks up points fast. This is what makes other fuels more economical. Propane being nearly unlimited storage life can be purchased when the price is low without the risk of it going bad. Unlike other liquid fuels from the petrol stations. This can make propane an attractive option. Plus it shares the same the benefits of quieter engine running and lower exhaust smell of natural gas
Their bill is nowhere near that high for sure. I do not believe our provider hikes the rate at X cubic feet. I have the same provider and live down the street. I'll have to look at it

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I've heard reports that generators on natural gas consume so much it drive your gas bill way up. Where propane would be cheaper
I haven't heard that, but they burn a lot. However I burn almost 1gal an hour of gas anyways.

I live in the city and don't want to store/search out fuel durring a mass power outage. I have very few employees with power. Those with generators can't find gas. Of course it mostly because of poor planning. I had 40gals of fuel on hand and all of my vehicles full( to siphon from) before the storm hit. There is a chance we could lose NG, but I don't think I have to do anything to run it on gas as a backup. I'm pretty sure on propane I would have to rejet it.

Powers back on for me though.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I haven't heard that, but they burn a lot. However I burn almost 1gal an hour of gas anyways.

I live in the city and don't want to store/search out fuel durring a mass power outage. I have very few employees with power. Those with generators can't find gas. Of course it mostly because of poor planning. I had 40gals of fuel on hand and all of my vehicles full( to siphon from) before the storm hit. There is a chance we could lose NG, but I don't think I have to do anything to run it on gas as a backup. I'm pretty sure on propane I would have to rejet it.

Powers back on for me though.
More then just a rejet. Also the regulators too. May not be worth it. Only you will know

Would be interesting to see what the gas usage is based on run time. And if you have any KWH data to go with it

Reactions: Dozerboy

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
More then just a rejet. Also the regulators too. May not be worth it. Only you will know

Would be interesting to see what the gas usage is based on run time. And if you have any KWH data to go with it
I had it all worked out to make my generator a dual fuel. I just never did it. I don't recall what the usage was (I don't care), but it was going to take a 1" supply and my meter was going to have to reset to supply enough gas.

I'll ask my in laws if they know. They have a whole house generator that runs off natural gas.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2004LB7

gassux

Mar 14, 2010
in the peoples republic of ny, they passed a law years ago that all gas stations needed generators. I'm surprised texas doesnt have that

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Speaking of things that Go BOOM!!! I am amazed how good the tear down looks on this engine after the explosion. I would really like to see a redesigned performance oriented cast block kind of like what russ was talking about. Dart finally released a 2JZ that they beefed up and so far it looks really promising from the testing the guys have done with them. Would be really cool to see a purpose built cast block for the Duramax.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDyt162MCBk&ab_channel=DirtyHookerDiesel%2FDHD

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Forum wasnt working at 7am when I checked in. I wasnt going to text James at that hour (4am his time). Just waited til noon. Server had gone down for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.