Allison 5sp: Issues after rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRein

Aircraft Mechanic's Hero
Sep 26, 2015
LRAFB, Arkansas
Cts won't read the codes the trans is throwing but even then like it has been said, you messed up. The Allison isn't the hardest to put together but it does take some finesse. Did the input and output both spin by hand in neutral after assembling?

You did something wrong when you assembled it and it's probably not going to be a $2 part anymore with as much messing around. Clutches maybe done for already but no one can tell you here without tearing it back apart. It's not people being dicks, they are telling you the best advice they can because you don't know what you're doing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

JRein

Aircraft Mechanic's Hero
Sep 26, 2015
LRAFB, Arkansas
Well I figured I would ask the "experts" for some help. But obviously Noone knows anything about these transmissions. You should all know exactly what I did because all I did was install the transgo exactly to the intructions. I didn't go messing with anything else. It's the same as a lot of you say you have installed on your own trucks. I do have diagnosis experience, just not on a transmission. I do have extensive electrical experience (thats what I do) and I think it might be an electrical issue but I don't know anything about the allison tcm. If I pull this Trans out and take it to a shop and the problem is in the truck, then I did all that for nothing. I want to find the problem before I go fixing things that don't need fixed. That's where you waste time and money. Apparently the problem I'm having has never existed before and I can't find help. So when I do get it figured out, I'll make sure to post the solution on here in case anyone else has the same issues. You guys only care about saying how I ****ed it up. I know I ****ed it up. I don't need you to tell me what I know. I came here to see if anyone could tell me what I don't know. The only helpful suggestion I got was unplugging the solenoids and I was willing to try it. And yes I am trying to save money because I'm not a rich guy playing cool in his big lifted truck that he had other people build for him. I have built all my own trucks and jeeps and spent my own money (in case there's any spoiled rich kids here). I only wanted to learn from someone more experienced than me but all anyone can say is to take it to someone else. This community only cares about who is the biggest and fastest and not about helping the people.
Here is the problem. You have mechanical experience but none with transmissions. I built mine in a garage I can't even fit my truck in. Your just burning bridges. It has came down to being an internal issue because you don't have reverse and third. If all the pieces weren't assembled right or a piece dislodged in the rear casing there is no telling what you did wrong. Eat your pride and chill. The only way at this point is a full disassembly.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well I figured I would ask the "experts" for some help. But obviously Noone knows anything about these transmissions. You should all know exactly what I did because all I did was install the transgo exactly to the intructions. I didn't go messing with anything else. It's the same as a lot of you say you have installed on your own trucks. I do have diagnosis experience, just not on a transmission. I do have extensive electrical experience (thats what I do) and I think it might be an electrical issue but I don't know anything about the allison tcm. If I pull this Trans out and take it to a shop and the problem is in the truck, then I did all that for nothing. I want to find the problem before I go fixing things that don't need fixed. That's where you waste time and money. Apparently the problem I'm having has never existed before and I can't find help. So when I do get it figured out, I'll make sure to post the solution on here in case anyone else has the same issues. You guys only care about saying how I ****ed it up. I know I ****ed it up. I don't need you to tell me what I know. I came here to see if anyone could tell me what I don't know. The only helpful suggestion I got was unplugging the solenoids and I was willing to try it. And yes I am trying to save money because I'm not a rich guy playing cool in his big lifted truck that he had other people build for him. I have built all my own trucks and jeeps and spent my own money (in case there's any spoiled rich kids here). I only wanted to learn from someone more experienced than me but all anyone can say is to take it to someone else. This community only cares about who is the biggest and fastest and not about helping the people.

All this post tells me is how much you just don't know. You don't like the truth and answers we have cause they don't fix what ever hack job you did to the trans that caused its issues. If you truely only followed the instruction you wouldn't be having an issue would you? And you DID NOT just follow the instruction cause you flat out told us how you changed clutches in the C1. You don't have a proper way to read codes, you don't what happen inside, you keep trying to drive it and you want to take your frustration out on us because we won't give you all the free info in the world to fix something we can't see and supposably have to take your word for things when your the one that messed the trans up.

The best part is you have been a member here for 21 hours and demand help. You're just like the rest that come in and do the same

Good luck lol

Weisguy

Sep 16, 2017
Cincinnati ohio
Yes. They both spun freely. I know I messed something up and I just want to fix it. But if I take it to a Trans guy it will cost more than I payed for the whole truck. I would rather just buy another transmission. But I wanted to see if I could fix this one first and If the transmission is fine and it's the truck then I don't need to buy another one. I got the truck cheap and don't have thousands to pour in it. I don't need it to be invincible. Just to turn when it's supposed to.

JRein

Aircraft Mechanic's Hero
Sep 26, 2015
LRAFB, Arkansas
Here is the problem. You have mechanical experience but none with transmissions. I built mine in a garage I can't even fit my truck in. Your just burning bridges. It has came down to being an internal issue because you don't have reverse and third. If all the pieces weren't assembled right or a piece dislodged in the rear casing there is no telling what you did wrong. Eat your pride and chill. The only way at this point is a full disassembly.

Weisguy

Sep 16, 2017
Cincinnati ohio
I do have the right scanner to read codes. I already said that. And I replaced a single clutch plate because it wasn't perfect like the rest. And I used a micrometer on everything to make sure it matched. I don't have a problem admitting I messed it up but I also don't have a problem with fixing my mistakes

JRein

Aircraft Mechanic's Hero
Sep 26, 2015
LRAFB, Arkansas
Yes. They both spun freely. I know I messed something up and I just want to fix it. But if I take it to a Trans guy it will cost more than I payed for the whole truck. I would rather just buy another transmission. But I wanted to see if I could fix this one first and If the transmission is fine and it's the truck then I don't need to buy another one. I got the truck cheap and don't have thousands to pour in it. I don't need it to be invincible. Just to turn when it's supposed to.
It's been determined it's internal with you disconnecting the plug

Weisguy

Sep 16, 2017
Cincinnati ohio
It's been determined it's internal with you disconnecting the plug

So disconnecting it means it HAS to be internal? It can't be the NSBU? That is what I'm looking for. If that's correct then thank you. That helps a lot.

Weisguy

Sep 16, 2017
Cincinnati ohio
Ok. Thank you. I will pull it back out. I was just hoping someone knew more specifics on which part so I could go ahead and order it. My garage is very busy so I don't like taking over the lift more than a couple days. I didn't want to wait until after its out, but I may have to

JRein

Aircraft Mechanic's Hero
Sep 26, 2015
LRAFB, Arkansas
Ok. Thank you. I will pull it back out. I was just hoping someone knew more specifics on which part so I could go ahead and order it. My garage is very busy so I don't like taking over the lift more than a couple days. I didn't want to wait until after its out, but I may have to
It was most likely not a faulty part but failure to assemble something correctly, not saying that there now isn't parts that will need to be replaced.

Weisguy

Sep 16, 2017
Cincinnati ohio
It was most likely not a faulty part but failure to assemble something correctly, not saying that there now isn't parts that will need to be replaced.

Yeah. I was very meticulous and took my time and double checked everything. But that don't mean I couldn't make a mistake and not notice it. I'm going to check the clutches again and replace any bad ones. Along with anything else I find.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

You are a cheap ass idiot. What the hell is wrong with you? You tell us you took a good working trans apart for a leak and now it doesn't move. You give us no codes and you can't read them with your PS code reader.
Now you tell us you have no money to have another shop diagnose your butcher job and call us out because we can't figure out what you ****ed up.
Another stupid post by you will make you disappear.
Where do these idiots come from?:confused:

On another note;
I suggest you get a job selling hot dogs.

JRein

Aircraft Mechanic's Hero
Sep 26, 2015
LRAFB, Arkansas
You are a cheap ass idiot. What the hell is wrong with you? You tell us you took a good working trans apart for a leak and now it doesn't move. You give us no codes and you can't read them with your PS code reader.
Now you tell us you have no money to have another shop diagnose your butcher job and call us out because we can't figure out what you ****ed up.
Another stupid post by you will make you disappear.
Where do these idiots come from?:confused:

On another note;
I suggest you get a job selling hot dogs.
Well he did want Mike to chime in

JRein

Aircraft Mechanic's Hero
Sep 26, 2015
LRAFB, Arkansas
I thought I was quite eloquent under the circumstances.:D
I don't get how people post a troubleshooting question and expect a miracle answer without giving any necessary info or heeding advice. Troubleshooting from 1,000 miles away, heck even transcontinental, is possible but a general system understanding is necessary, otherwise you're talking to a rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.