Question: Intercooler Question

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I completely agree, if done correctly it's going to cost a pretty penny to run a air to water setup.

not really, I know where Dave is coming from.

for 1500 u can have a top notch kit. Some guys have more than that in a air cooler and piping.

if its a dd, I wouldnt run a water cooler though.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
not really, I know where Dave is coming from.

for 1500 u can have a top notch kit. Some guys have more than that in a air cooler and piping.

if its a dd, I wouldnt run a water cooler though.

I have 2000 into my set up with the egr delete intercooler and y bridge, but I run pretty damn cool and it was worth it. I think my banks ram air box with super scoop helps a lot too? I was wondering about daily driving w/ an a2w set up??? Seems significantly more complex/involved/complicated than an a2a intercooler, I mean, there is hardly a thing that can go wrong on a good aftermarket a2a cooler, vs even the best a2w cooler...

I have never seen one in use on any street truck.

I'm with simon, I wouldn't use one for street use, probably not even drag racing, seems like the best use for an a2w set up is on pulling trucks. Not to say they dont work and work well in other arenas...

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Yes. LBZ and LMM can read intake temp at the MAF sensor and at the Y-bridge. LB7 and LLY can only read it at the MAF sensor.

My auto-cal differentiates between maf and iat temps, one says maf temp and the other says iat, its that simple

I'm not sure how others work, but that's what my spade for my lbz does...

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I have 2000 into my set up with the egr delete intercooler and y bridge, but I run pretty damn cool and it was worth it. I was wondering about daily driving w/ an a2w set up??? Seems significantly more complex/involved/complicated than an a2a intercooler, I mean, there is hardly a thing that can go wrong on a good aftermarket a2a cooler, vs even the best a2w cooler...

I have never seen one in use on any street truck.

I'm with simon, I wouldn't use one for street use, probably not even drag racing, seems like the best use for an a2w set up is on pulling trucks. Not to say they dont work and work well in other arenas...

I would lovec to have one for drag racing! some day I will afford the setup I want.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
The system you would use would use would incorporate an ice box, yeah?

I still have a hard time understanding how a a2w cooler is more efficient, at least without the aid of an ice chamber, then again I live in a temperate climate and only see 90° weather for maybe 30 days a year:roflmao::rofl::mad:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
fyi,I have the same as you, I cant touch my intercooler after 1 run on the track .

I wouldn't expect any less on Abby!
Which truck are you talking about?
I am lucky(I guess:confused: ) to live in a cool climate, most my data has been logged in 60°f down to 15°f so that helps:thumb:

But after a boosted launch run to 120mph I can not touch the hot side, but the engine side is touchable if not cool by the time I can pop the hood and check. If I run my hand across the intercooler you can feel the cooling progression.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
If someone an build a properly sized and set up A2W setup for 1500 dollars, please list the parts and places you got them from. I've built quite a few(not for our trucks) and I don't see you doing it for 1500 dollars.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
If someone an build a properly sized and set up A2W setup for 1500 dollars, please list the parts and places you got them from. I've built quite a few(not for our trucks) and I don't see you doing it for 1500 dollars.

Fozen boost kits has worked on many trucks.

I preffer chisled.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
I know of a couple of trucks around here running a/w intercoolers from frozen boost. I am no expert but they seem to be good. But then again most are Dodge trucks.

So if I were to setup a a/w intercooler with reservoir tank for ice could I run coolant in the winter time as it will still be used in the winter?

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Nred to run something thru it and ice water ain't going to work to well in winter, or for daily driving at all! When we drive our puller for shot lap or 2, we just run 10 gallon water

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
I know of a couple of trucks around here running a/w intercoolers from frozen boost. I am no expert but they seem to be good. But then again most are Dodge trucks.

So if I were to setup a a/w intercooler with reservoir tank for ice could I run coolant in the winter time as it will still be used in the winter?

I would think some coolant mixed with water would be fine. I plan on doing a a/w setup very soon.

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
And you would only run ice in it at the track or if your pulling, not daily driving. From the people I've talked to about this you melt a lot of ice on a single pass.