Question: Intercooler Question

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
For a race only truck you could probally get away with it. The prob is a dd truck.. you need a large heat exchanger because once that water is hot and heat soaked theres no way to cool it. your just recycling hot water through your a/w system.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Would a heat exchanger be needed if you had a big enough reservoir? Say a 2 or 4 gallon tank?

For DD you'll need a heat exchanger no matter what. Even if you had a 20 gallon tank you'd just continuously heat up the what and have no way to cool it back down. For a race only application you don't need a exchanger at all.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
How about going to a big heat exchange and eliminating the reservoir? Then just surrounding that with ice when you pull or race?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to wrap my head around it before I design something.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
How about going to a big heat exchange and eliminating the reservoir? Then just surrounding that with ice when you pull or race?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to wrap my head around it before I design something.

No doubt you can do it without a tank and it'll work fine as long as your HE is sized properly. However I'm not sure how you effectively pack ice around a HE, tanks are pretty cheap, even to have made to a custom size. Check out http://dadscustomintercoolertank.com/ This guys work is fantastic, his prices are great, and you won't regret having him build something for you.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
What you would want for a DD is a exchanger, then run it into the ice tank. Only fill it up when needed (like at the track when you need that extra cool air). could even make a quick connect so you take the exchanger off if you wanted too.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
Alright another question. If a found a dirt bike/motorcycle radiator would that work instead of a heat exchange? I can get a hold of a few with fans for cheap.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
From what I have found they are around the same size as the heat exchanges in some kits I've seen.

But yes I would rather have bigger then smaller.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
I have actually been finding Mini Cooper radiators are a good size and would have room. Just have to make sure they hold the water pump pressure.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I have actually been finding Mini Cooper radiators are a good size and would have room. Just have to make sure they hold the water pump pressure.

The system shouldn't have any real pressure inside it, the temps shouldn't ever reach anywhere near boiling. Other than the subtle pressure at the pump outlet(which shouldn't have any major restriction)you won't have any problems with a radiator.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I think your setup will work, but I don't think that radiator is going to be big enough. Of course for the price you could give it a try and it won't be much of a loss if you have to replace it.