Question: Intercooler Question

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
Alright I have a brain teaser for you about intercoolers.

I notice that a lot of water to air intercoolers are small in size. That is opposite of aftermarket intercoolers that are larger and allow more air into the motor.

Does the water to air intercoolers restrict the amount of air going into the motor? Would it not be better to go aftermarket that allows a greater volume of air into the motor compared to less cooler air?

Theoretically more air would be much better then less cooler air.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I think a lot of air to water coolers have big pipes running through them. Like 2 or 3 inch pipes. Verus regular air coolers have a bunch of 3/8 or 1/2 lines for a lot of air to piping surface area. The ice is so cold compared to ambiant temp/wind you dont need as much pipe surface Could be wrong, but I think they will all flow about the same.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Imo, The Bigger Issue With The Wta Cooler, Is The Fact That It Runs The Temp Of Your Coolant, Right? Unless You Create A Complete Standalone System

If It Runs Off Engine Coolant, The Coolest You Could Run Is Maybe 180° Also That Would Load More Heat Into The Coolant, Therfore Possibly Overloading The System, Idk Which Way You Were Thinking Of Doing It???

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I Disagree That Warmer Air In Greater Quantity Would Be Better, Cooler Air Is More Dense, Therfore Having Greater Amount Of Oxygen Molecules To Be Burned In The Combustion Process, Also Lower CyLinder temps And Egt Would Be Seen, Creating A More Tuner Freindly End result

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I've yet to see a A/W setup that runs engine coolant through it. The only setup that you could say has some engine coolant run through it is where they put a small connection between both cooling systems in factory setups so they can bleed air from both with only 1 reservoir. Air to water if setup up correctly is much better then air to air. The boost drop in a air to water setup is normally less than .5 psi.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Alright I have a brain teaser for you about intercoolers.

I notice that a lot of water to air intercoolers are small in size. That is opposite of aftermarket intercoolers that are larger and allow more air into the motor.

Does the water to air intercoolers restrict the amount of air going into the motor? Would it not be better to go aftermarket that allows a greater volume of air into the motor compared to less cooler air?

Theoretically more air would be much better then less cooler air.

most w/a ive seen are 3" to 4"

you are not gaining air.... a nice short pipe system would be the best.

air intercoolers need to be large to have surface area for cooling, not the case with water cooler

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
I've yet to see a A/W setup that runs engine coolant through it. The only setup that you could say has some engine coolant run through it is where they put a small connection between both cooling systems in factory setups so they can bleed air from both with only 1 reservoir. Air to water if setup up correctly is much better then air to air. The boost drop in a air to water setup is normally less than .5 psi.

these are called JWAC, jacket water after cooler. and yes they were actually used from the factory by some people. one right off the top of my head would be a cat 3406a. might not be what you are talking about, but just thought id share

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
Ive been tossing the idea around to try an a/w i.c but i have yet to see a dd with one on it as a stand alone cooler and not added to an air to air.. has anyone seen or done this?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
these are called JWAC, jacket water after cooler. and yes they were actually used from the factory by some people. one right off the top of my head would be a cat 3406a. might not be what you are talking about, but just thought id share

I'm almost positive I remember seeing a W2A intercooler on the new 6.7 Powerstrokes also. As I recall, they have their own radiator and cooling system for the intercooler and EGR system.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Air to Water coolers have let alot of people pick up alot of horsepower. You just need a big enough core, and a pump that can flow the proper volume to keep things cool, and a shit ton of ice.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
For a DD application you'd want a heat exchanger up front(appropriately sized for your application) and a pump to circulate the water through the system, you'd also want to add a ice box to the loop so when you're at the track you can add ice to cool the water below ambient. A good DD air to water setup will produce AIT's 10-20 degrees above ambient and have much less boost drop across the intercooler as long as everything is sized correctly. Many factory SC and TC setups run just like described above minus the ice box.

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
For a DD application you'd want a heat exchanger up front(appropriately sized for your application) and a pump to circulate the water through the system, you'd also want to add a ice box to the loop so when you're at the track you can add ice to cool the water below ambient. A good DD air to water setup will produce AIT's 10-20 degrees above ambient and have much less boost drop across the intercooler as long as everything is sized correctly. Many factory SC and TC setups run just like described above minus the ice box.

Has anyone succesfully done this on a dd ?

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Not in a truck that I'm aware of, but it works in all kinds of gas applications. I think the cost is the main thing stopping people from building these setups. On my E55 at cruise I run 20 degrees below ambient. I'm using a sealed exchanger that runs AC refrigerant through it to cool the water.