Impala or Tahoe for a family car

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Well our time in Canada is almost up and I promised my wife that we'd replace the minivan once we were done up here.:thumb:

As of right now we're on the fence between betting a 2011 - 2013 Impala for around $18k or an older tahoe 2007 - 2008 for $22k.

Now the Impala is an LT with 8k miles and the tahoe is an LTZ with 106k miles. We weren't even going to consider a Tahoe due to the price. But last night my wife saw a white 2007 and she really likes it but is unsure due to the miles. The miles don't scare me a ton; our last Impala had 95k when purchased and the duramax with 88k miles. In the time I owned the Impala I didn't do much to it, changed oil, washed it, flushed the tranny, and spark plugs; duramax is another story:mad:. It was going strong right up to the point the other vehicle plowed into the side of it. The main thing that has me concerned is the tranny on the tahoe and transfer case.

When we got married my wife gave up her explorer, she's always wanted an SUV back deep down inside. I love Tahoes as well but can't afford a newer one with low miles. What I don't like is the mileage they get and being I own the dually if we need more room we can just drive that, instead of having 2 large vehicles. I like the Impalas; how they ride and good fuel mileage compared to a tahoe/larger vehicle.

I guess I'm asking the board
1. 2011 - 2013 Impala with 5 - 13k miles for around $16 - $19
2. 2007 - 2008 Tahoe with 80 - 110k miles for around $18k - $22k
3. Open to other options but don't want to spend more than $23k and I will not finance, cash sale.

Thanks guys as always for the help,
Yellowchevy

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Tahoe..

I've been looking @ a Porsche cayenne, you can pick up an 04-06 from 20-30k and they are sweet:thumb:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Here is the one I have been looking at....
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
If you got kids def the tahoe. Made the big mistake of getting rid of a sububan to get a new malibu bake in 08

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Tahoe or yukon hands down. Get a real comfortable nice lookin ride that doesn't look like its cross bread between a mini van slash station wagon. Who the #@$% would want porsche suv? Tahoe or yukon hands down. Besides that dam thing was one ugly ass suv. But maybe the just me:confused:
Not tryin be a ass but wow, thats a no brainer in my eyes.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Turbo v8 bred by Porsche, can be tuned to close to 550whp with ease, all wheel drive, most comfortable SUV I have ever driven, and oozes class, who wouldn't like it? Granted, I also have thought they were pretty ugly, color and wheels make a huge difference! This is the first one I have seen that I have really liked...and I have not been searching for one at all, I just stumbled across this one the other day:thumb:

Just thought I would throw an option out, other than the Tahoe/Yukon norm:cool2:

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I'm a big fan of the Tahoe and Yukon that being said if you are going to live far from town the impalla would get much better fuel mileage.I'd say the Yukon.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Turbo v8 bred by Porsche, can be tuned to close to 550whp with ease, all wheel drive, most comfortable SUV I have ever driven, and oozes class, who wouldn't like it? Granted, I also have thought they were pretty ugly, color and wheels make a huge difference! This is the first one I have seen that I have really liked...and I have not been searching for one at all, I just stumbled across this one the other day:thumb:

Just thought I would throw an option out, other than the Tahoe/Yukon norm:cool2:

Before we bought my wifes Yukon we test drove 2 cayenne's as we were deciding between those 2 and a BMW X5. The porsche's handled well and the brakes were impressive but from a performance perspective I was dissapointed with the 300 h.p v6 and the 400 h.p v8, I never found a twin turbo model local enough to test drive. After looking into the cost of ownership and the lack luster performance we quickly eliminated the Porsche...

Ryan T

Sep 5, 2010
CA
We own a 2011 tahoe, ive had it for a year and its been flawless, just like the 02 we bought new in 02... Well built vehicle, easy to work on, even though i doubt youd ever have to. Not to mention its safer for the fam than an impala..

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
We don't have kids right now but will be having our first in August. Being it's only one baby a car would be fine, plus we've got my dually if we want more space. But Tahoe/Yukon's are so nice :thumb:

I like the idea of getting a car again due to the good mileage for the drive back to my parents place from Kansas City and daily commute for Katie; but then again it will be her vehicle so I want her to be happy.:thumb:

This afternoon we went to the chevy dealership so Katie could drive an Impala and tahoe. She liked things about both but not one more than the other, haha. She's leaning more towards Impalas do to the fact that you can get an almost new one for a good price.

"custom8726"
That is a VERY nice Denali and you've done a great job taking care of it.:thumb: But we've got to stick with our budget :(; plus I couldn't get Katie to drive from New York, haha.

The Porsche is nice but it reminds me of an Acadia size wise, which my wife will not go for; it's another option though.

Found another 2007 Yukon for $19k with 110k miles.

Thanks again guys,
Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Our 09 Z71 Tahoe is for sale BTW! 60k miles and always had Dexos syn blend run and changed at 3k miles:thumb:

IMG00208-20110303-0810.jpg

Does it include free delivery Damian?? haha
Unfortunatly I'm not a fan of black, looks great when cleaned but hard to keep clean :mad:. I really like white :thumb:

custom8726
If you were closer I think I could get my wife to talk :D.

Yellowchevy

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Only problem with white is u have to clay bar very often compared to other colors. Least if u want to keep it bright clean white. Black is my favorite, but i agree with u, super hard to clean, buff and keep clean, so i couldn't own it either.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
We just had our first kid march 2nd and have a 2011 tahoe. Love this thing. Try fitting adults in the back of impala with a car seat comfortably. Plus a stroller and a trunk full of groceries on the way back from Costco. Babies don't travel lightly. Get her what she always wanted or you will be trading in later anyways. With friends or parents visiting cause the grand baby a trip to the store anywhere in a tahoe will be better trust me. Plus having a cc/lb srw I know how difficult parking can be so I can only imagine a dually. Plus after having a baby my wife would kill me if she had to park in the back of the parking lot.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
We just had our first kid march 2nd and have a 2011 tahoe. Love this thing. Try fitting adults in the back of impala with a car seat comfortably. Plus a stroller and a trunk full of groceries on the way back from Costco. Babies don't travel lightly. Get her what she always wanted or you will be trading in later anyways. With friends or parents visiting cause the grand baby a trip to the store anywhere in a tahoe will be better trust me. Plus having a cc/lb srw I know how difficult parking can be so I can only imagine a dually. Plus after having a baby my wife would kill me if she had to park in the back of the parking lot.
All very good points:thumb: