Impala or Tahoe for a family car

whitelmmmax

Smaller than stock
Jul 26, 2011
lake charles, la
We owed a traverse for a little while. Thank god my wife wanted more room lol. That made me feel like a soccer mom and we didn't have kids at the time. Around here everyone drives a tahoe lowered with rims. I enjoy diving my wife's tahoe when she lets me which is only when we are together. Who cares what other people think about you.

Haha I bought my wife a traverse and she loves it. Did y'all find the Tahoe had that much more room? To me, it seems the traverse has about the same amount of room, also has two sunroofs and DVD system.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
if you get a tahoe, it would be best to see if you can get an 09+. Thats when they went to the 6-speed transmission...

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
if you get a tahoe, it would be best to see if you can get an 09+. Thats when they went to the 6-speed transmission...

I would really like to get a 6 speed tranny but we haven't seen one that new for a price we can afford.

I've suggested an Acadia or Traverse but my wife does not like them so that ended that.

Yellowchevy

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
Haha I bought my wife a traverse and she loves it. Did y'all find the Tahoe had that much more room? To me, it seems the traverse has about the same amount of room, also has two sunroofs and DVD system.

I feel like the traverse has way more room. Main thing i didnt like about the traverse was that it looked like a van. Tahoe just feels bigger and safer to my taste

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM

Indeed. Our 09 has the six speed in it with a tap shifter. Very nice feature. Did I mention its for sale haha. My wife now wants a Equinox! FML. Actually to be fair, I've heard nothing but good things about the Equinox.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Wow, thats a big change tho.

We're you replying to me? If so yes big change you're right. I love the Tahoe and have 0 desire to sell. She sees the number @ the pump and freaks out. I grew up in suburbans so I'm used to it. What she doesn't realize is how it affects the other areas of our routine. Instead of pulling the boat in nice comfort and legroom for all, we would now have to pull the boat with my truck which is fine except for the ECSB thing. Sucks for the other passengers in the back. If my truck is broke (frequently as of late) I can pull my work trailer with her Tahoe... Not anymore. The Equinox will save a lot at the pump but will present some disadvantages.

03Tommy

Jun 2, 2008
Weston, Mo
Having had an 05 Denali and now an 08 Impala. Go with a Tahoe or Yukon.

I have 2 kids that are 5 and 6. Its tough taking the Impala very far. I am 6'5" though. when they were smaller in a rear facing car seat, they couldnt sit behind me in a car. They could in the Yukon.

Also, I have heard some bad things about JKB out there. Do you know them very well? They always have nice vehicles, just heard some horror stories.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Having had an 05 Denali and now an 08 Impala. Go with a Tahoe or Yukon.

I have 2 kids that are 5 and 6. Its tough taking the Impala very far. I am 6'5" though. when they were smaller in a rear facing car seat, they couldnt sit behind me in a car. They could in the Yukon.

Also, I have heard some bad things about JKB out there. Do you know them very well? They always have nice vehicles, just heard some horror stories.

That helps alot Tommy, thanks. I'm not very tall so we could get away with it but there isn't as much cargo space in the Impala.

I bought a weather guard tool box from them and they were slimy and shady. I don't know them at all, just so happens they had a vehicle we liked and in the same town as where my wifes parents live.

Yellowchevy

03Tommy

Jun 2, 2008
Weston, Mo
That helps alot Tommy, thanks. I'm not very tall so we could get away with it but there isn't as much cargo space in the Impala.

I bought a weather guard tool box from them and they were slimy and shady. I don't know them at all, just so happens they had a vehicle we liked and in the same town as where my wifes parents live.

Yellowchevy

I know a couple people that have bought cars and they got screwed.

I am up north by the airport so if you come across anything up this way, I would be happy to take a look. I also know most dealers up here so let me know if I can help.

FWIW I love our Impala SS. It is a family car but does have a fun factor. The trunks are pretty big. We take it grocery shopping, but a baby stroller or wagon takes up almost all of the trunk.

crazycrew

Let's Start A Riot
Oct 3, 2009
S. Louisiana

I absolutely hate the 6 speed! We had an '11 Tahoe and now have a '12 burb. I'm comparing this to the '08 XL we had! I much rathered the 4 speed! Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the 6 speed never knows where it wants/needs to be!! I NEED a tune for the burb desperately.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I know a couple people that have bought cars and they got screwed.

I am up north by the airport so if you come across anything up this way, I would be happy to take a look. I also know most dealers up here so let me know if I can help.

FWIW I love our Impala SS. It is a family car but does have a fun factor. The trunks are pretty big. We take it grocery shopping, but a baby stroller or wagon takes up almost all of the trunk.

Thats for the offer Tom, if we see anything we're interested I may have to take you up on that.
That's also good to know on what will fit in the trunk being this will be our first.

Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I absolutely hate the 6 speed! We had an '11 Tahoe and now have a '12 burb. I'm comparing this to the '08 XL we had! I much rathered the 4 speed! Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the 6 speed never knows where it wants/needs to be!! I NEED a tune for the burb desperately.

We've driven a few new impalas as rental vehicles with the 6 speed trannys and they tend to do the same thing, search for the right gear.

Yellowchevy

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
We've driven a few new impalas as rental vehicles with the 6 speed trannys and they tend to do the same thing, search for the right gear.

Yellowchevy
I think they almost make the trans sloopy with alot of gears and try and make it seamless shifting.i would rather feel the shift and make it firm so it doesnt drag out or back shift all the time,another reason i like the torque from the diesel.I bet the cruze will shift good and hold a gear.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
At first I thought it was a CVT transmission due to have driven a few rental Nissans with CVT and it acted similar; I really hated driving those Nissans.

Other than the Impala seeming to shift often I liked driving it and had not problems with it. They're not Tahoe/Yukon though. :D

Yellowchevy

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
All boils down to your preference. If you want a car the impala it is. If you like to be higher and more of a truck feel. Me personally I feel safer and would rather get in a accident in a tahoe than a car. Deciding what you want appears to be a delima. Lol good luck.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
All boils down to your preference. If you want a car the impala it is. If you like to be higher and more of a truck feel. Me personally I feel safer and would rather get in a accident in a tahoe than a car. Deciding what you want appears to be a delima. Lol good luck.

You're 100% right there. I want the car due to price and great fuel mileage. But I want the Tahoe for sitting up higher, more space, and being able to pull a trailer it I had to; but that's why I have the dually :thumb:.
My wife feels the same way, minus the trailer part, haha.

Our last Impala took an Astro van into the passenger door going at least 50 mph and thankfully my wife didn't have scratch on her; I even drove after the guy to try and catch the bastard for driving away after it happened.

I know what you mean though, there's larger and can take a hit if needed.

Yellowchevy