LB7: IHI Port/Polish

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I haven't posted much on the forum but am in need of some help by those smart and more knowledgeable than myself.

I've done some searching on poring and polishing the IHI turbo but haven't come across much. There was one thread by "diamond shocks" but that was back in 2009 and I didn't see any results or what he ended up doing.

Being the intake horn is rough casting I figured the rest of the turbo would be as well. Seeing how smoothing out the intake horn helped I figured one could do the same to the rest of the turbo and make it more efficient.

So I've got a turbo and am now trying to figure out how to port/polish the inside of the compressor housing.

How do I get down inside there? Is extruded honing the only way? Is the center section pressed in or machined from the rest of the housing? How does Mark or other turbo guys machine those things, impressive.

Thanks in advance for the help
Yellowchevy

Attachments

• Turbo 1a.jpg
    Turbo 1a.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 609

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
I sent mine to mirror finish polishing took about a month to get back.

2011 Ferd F-teenthousand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329661389.600338.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329661389.600338.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 486

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
Mine is the garret vvt tho. The casting was pretty smooth from factory. But in my opinion it's just for looks mostly, I can't really tell you if I got any gains from it because I had It done while I was building my trans and put in a tunes ECM all at the Same time. But at the end of the day it's still just a stock turbo

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.764019,-92.466824
2011 Ferd F-teenthousand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnieberlein

Secret Squirrel Diesel
Aug 17, 2009
West By God
So I've got a turbo and am now trying to figure out how to port/polish the inside of the compressor housing.
Yellowchevy

I may just prove how much of an idiot i am by making this statement but I am gonna make it anyway. If you "port / polish" the inside of the turbo wouldnt that increase the distance from the compressor wheel to the housing and thus make the turbo less effective? I am not sure this is the case was just thinking the closer the wheel is to the housing the better it would compress maybe the differance isnt enough to matter or maybe I am not thinking about it correct

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I'm looking at smoothing out the casting on the inside of the turbo so the air flows better. Polishing the outside would look cool but I'm wanting to increase the performance of the stock turbo.
I don't think it will make it less efficient because you're not removing that much material, but I'm not a turbo expert so I was seeing what other people had to say about it.
I was thinking of giving Danville's a call to see if it's doable.

Thanks guys.
I won't be able to work on it for a few weeks. I'm in Omaha this week and have another project I need to finish when I get back.

Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I'm wondering if I can remove the band clamp that connects the inlet to exhaust side without something bad going on?
The inducer nut came off but now I can't get the inducer wheel off, this there something special needed to pull it off?

Thanks for everybody's input and "blk smoke lb7" continued temptation in getting a phat shaft :thumb:

Yellowchevy

Attachments

• Turbo 2a.jpg
    Turbo 2a.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 464
  • Turbo 3.jpg
    Turbo 3.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 474

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
TheBac - Yes it was, that could be the reason, I've never hand one apart before so I figured I'd ask others wiser than myself.
I remember reading that the LB7's are just held on with the nut and that the wheel should come off but when the wheel didn't pull off I figured I'd ask.

doug9940 - Did that cost a pretty penny? Did you notice a big difference?

I may have bit off more than I can chew. :mad:

Thanks guys,
Yellowchevy

02dirtymax

Jul 3, 2009
Ohio
yes, this turbo was in a fire. But, it wasn't even hot enough to start to melt the coolant hoses connected to the turbo so I doubt it did anything to the wheel. Good luck Yellowchevy- you got the outside looking better already. I'd just give Mark at Danville a call to see what he says about taking it apart. I know nothing about the IHI's besides the fact that I want bigger!

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
Does anyone know if you can pull the comp cover off an IHI withough removing the whole turbo? I've heard some conflicting info and want to settle it before I rip this biatch out just to get the comp cover powder coated. Thanks guys.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
Does anyone know if you can pull the comp cover off an IHI withough removing the whole turbo? I've heard some conflicting info and want to settle it before I rip this biatch out just to get the comp cover powder coated. Thanks guys.

I'm pretty sure it can be removed with the charger installed.