HTT EFR For Dmax

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I finally got a drive with mine. With dual fuelers and 125% over injectors I can say the turbo may be a bit small :)

boost at 35 and drive at 39 I am happy.
The road rage display says 120k on the turbo.

I blew a hole in the factory intercooler.

I also think I will switch to the htt turbine housing.
The one I got with the turbo's looks very nice and will fit better in the truck.
Thanks for the pallet of EFR's JDUB.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
No its a 2200 suncoast now.
Its still on the high side for a tow truck.
I will put the 3k stall converter in a standard cab at some point.

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
You've definitely got a bunch more fuel then I do....mine runs 100% whisper clean out the pipe at wide open throttle and EGT's won't go over 1400, no how long I'm in the throttle.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
You've definitely got a bunch more fuel then I do....mine runs 100% whisper clean out the pipe at wide open throttle and EGT's won't go over 1400, no how long I'm in the throttle.

As soon as I get the intercooler fixed I am going to hook to a nice sized load and take it up the mountains here. I think this turbo will tow great but need to confirm. I have hit 1800 degrees and the efr is still holding together.(running stock manifolds, lml drivers manifold, stock uppipes. I figured it did not matter since the turbine housing is so tight.

The road rage guage is measuring turbine speed at about 120k. I want to fix the boost leak and play with the wastegate and timing a bit. After that I will strap some nitrous on it and see if it blows up.

Anyone else with suggestions for the testing please post them up. I want to do as thorough of a test as possible.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
As soon as I get the intercooler fixed I am going to hook to a nice sized load and take it up the mountains here. I think this turbo will tow great but need to confirm. I have hit 1800 degrees and the efr is still holding together.(running stock manifolds, lml drivers manifold, stock uppipes. I figured it did not matter since the turbine housing is so tight.

The road rage guage is measuring turbine speed at about 120k. I want to fix the boost leak and play with the wastegate and timing a bit. After that I will strap some nitrous on it and see if it blows up.

Anyone else with suggestions for the testing please post them up. I want to do as thorough of a test as possible.

I saw on another forum where this guy said he put the turbine wheel out through the exhaust housing.... I guess that would be a thorough test. :roflmao:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state

go run I68 to morgantown WV and back there are plenty of 5% and couple 6% grades there....
i'd say run I64 form lexington va to berckly wv there is two 7% and plenty of 4-6% grades on that one...
and at least a 14,000lb trailer :thumb:

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
Just an update after 3000+ miles on the turbo.

Did some data logging with my Insight CTS yesterday. I've got the turbo gated at 28-psi to keep shaft speed below Borgs recommended limit. Drive pressure with the 13cm T3 stainless housing runs at 38-psi drive at wide open throttle. Shaft speed maxes at 101,000rpm, so I could probably adjust the gate to allow 30-32psi boost and still be within its shaft speed limits.

Running through the gears from a dead stop my EGTs hit 1280-degrees at 58mph, staying in it until 80mph they maxed at just 1306-degrees. So between 60 and 80mph under hard acceleration EGTs only go up about 25-degrees. Needless to say I'm extremely happy with the way this thing is running now.

Really contemplating going to 30% injectors as I really think it could take some more fuel.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
The efr is great as far as I am concerned. Just one lbz pump for fuel no more. I think the efr will match perfectly with an lbz/lmm 60% overs and a single lbz stock pump.

cut the small flex joints out of the uppipes and replace with 1 7/8" call it done.

Awesome 650rwhp truck

This is our next build with these turbo's.

Jdub has seen some of the dmax bolt on housing we are working on:D

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
Had my first chance to do some serious towing with this turbo this past Friday. Brother in-law got an elk down on the hunt and we had to go help get him out with horses. 7800lb trailer and fiver horses (1000-1200lbs each), figure it was around 14,000lbs behind the truck.

Turbo is incredible for towing, the first part of the drive was two lane highway (65mph speed limit), pretty windy with two or three big 6% grades. The last part of the drive was all slow dirt road traveling. Super tight corners, big uphill sections, coupld big downhill sections. Put the truck through it's paces, thats for sure. The turbo worked awesome on the long grades and was able to maintain 70mph over all of them and never crested 1100-degrees, then on the tight dirt road the quick response really helped accelerate all that weight after slowing to make a tight corner. VERY pleased with the way it performed.

1391806_10202070845908209_1179474099_n.jpg

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
It's not on the website, hasn't really been marketed. The EFR has yet to prove it's reliability when really pushed hard on a diesel.

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
Just another update. 6500+ miles on the 9180 EFR and still going strong. Did some towing with the truck today, enclosed trailer with Cummins Altered drag car in it. Running 75mph in my daily driver tune (made 426hp) EGT's hovered around 800 and I saw a max of 1060 while accelerating pretty hard on the freeway on ramp. Will be towing this trailer over a pretty long 6 1/2% grade tomorrow, will probably datalog the run so I can go back and look at it all and see where the EGT's, boost, and drive pressures run.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Any updates? Also has anyone tried the t4 1.05 housing that comes on the non htt 9180?

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
What kind of updates you want? Efr is still on the truck and running strong as ever. Thing tows like no bodies business and rips on the street. Just gotta keep the gate functioning and limit boost to 31-32psi