HTT EFR For Dmax

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
Truck is running great. Liking this turbo more and more everyday. I'm playing it safe with boost until I get the speed sensor installed in the turbo, have the gate set at 30-psi.

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
cant really tell from the picture, but is that the built in BOV i see? or the wastegate actuator?

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
HTT wastegate actuator is on the left side of the turbo, mounts on the turbine housing. The built in BOV is cast into the compressor cover, but I removed it and just capped it. No need for it.

936104_10151401670016500_2023145804_n.jpg

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I found out on the Ford that 30-32 psi was pretty well maxed out. As in pulling the line off the wastegate, the turbo did not make much more pressure ( maybe 33-34).
Same as in your case the 6.7 only had fuel for about 550-600 rwhp.
With more fuel this thing may hit 40 psi or so.
I am kinda assuming just my my experience driving and the fact that you have stock fuel and ford did the flow characteristics seem to be close.
I plan on putting it on and maxing it out on the dmax this week so we will find out.
What controller are you planning on reading the speed sensor with?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Why did you get rid of the turbo you had before?
Yeah didnt you have a dts moded turbo installed????

Also id get a different hot side pipe that eliminates the sweeping bend in rubber.The MBRP aftermarket tube hasa an extra bend and its a straight boot up to the charger.Mine went off like a gernade,it couldnt handle the boost.FWIW

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM

Also id get a different hot side pipe that eliminates the sweeping bend in rubber.The MBRP aftermarket tube hasa an extra bend and its a straight boot up to the charger.Mine went off like a gernade,it couldnt handle the boost.FWIW

I originally was pumped about the MBRP pipe but its not long enough and barely reaches enough past the end of the boot/coupler to get a clamp on. Pretty dissapointed in that pipe actually....... I will most likely have ATS weld another 1 1/2'' on to that bad boy then it will be fine. Brian had to add onto his Banks pipe as well. I guess maybe it just wasnt intended for an s300. It was designed to fit to the IHI.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I have to agree the mbrp hot sides I have installed needed modified to fit if I am being modest.
I installed the mbrp and blew it also.I got a replacement boot i think from Boost controller.com,the mbrp is only a 3 layer boot the boostcontroller boot was 4 layer and made of a tougher material and it was 5 inches long so i had no problems reaching the turbo.

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
Why did you get rid of the turbo you had before?

That I agree with my fleece install kit sucked. The op changed turbo's because he is a sales guy for HTT now.

Correct. I am now working for HTT and we really wanted to get this EFR on a duramax so i volunteered my truck as the initial test mule. Otherwise, I was perfectly content with my modified DTS ihi.

As for the pipes, I used the standard HTT mount kit and made the changes as needed. This way we can start offering it to the public. I do however plan to have piping made for the turbo. I'd like to make new intercooler pipes, intake tube, and y-bridge so it can all be coated to dress it up a bit... may polish the compressor cover as well.

Sent from my XT907

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
Redesign the housings?

EFR turbos are not readily available with the turbine housings on them. Since HTT casts their own machining specs were changed to allow them to be used on the EFR. The housings will be offered in both a 13cm and 16cm version depending on the customers needs.
Sent from my XT907

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012

Question:
In the link provided, in the response from HTT, it is stated that the new wheel is cut from a forged blank. Now I thought forging metal uses more material than cast or billet cuz you take a larger piece of material and pound and compress it into a smaller piece/shape. While this does make forged "anything" stronger than other manufacturing processes can create, doesn't it also make the end product heavier as well? And isn't it better to have a lighter wheel, to a certian degree? I know we are talking about a small amount of weight here, but wouldn't it make a difference none the less? For a twin application where drive pressures are higher and the high pressure turbo is being force fed I imagine the added weight would be ok if not better for reasons of over speeding the turbo, and the added strength would be much appreciated and wanted/needed, but as a single, wouldn't it be a hindrance to boost/throttle response?

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
You'll need to remember that the forged wheel is going to be denser and stronger, so it can be cut much thinner while maintaining the same durability. So I would think that what little weight difference there may be, any affect it would have in spool-up, would be pretty tough to notice...especially on the truck on the street or dyno.