Allison 5sp: Horrible noise coming from the transmission

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Swap the nsbu switch (what u call the shift sensor) from ur old trans to the new one. The clunk is because your in "limp mode" from the codes set. You need to clear them and reset the taps.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Motomike119

Addicted
Dec 28, 2013
Blountville, TN
I did use the nsbu switch from my transmission.. I guess it got damaged getting the old transmission out is the only thing I can think of.

I think it's all stock.. He said it has 123000 on it. Fluid smelt Ok and look clean.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The switch must be adjusted unless you removed the old switch while the donor switch was in neutral and the new trans was in neutral and the switch was not rocked at all.
Call me if you need help.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
The plugs used to get glued in.
Mike said he was goin to give u the low down when you called.
I figured you had it sorted out.
I would have told you to leave the switch hooked up and plugged in. Wrench bolts out and then put back on new trans on marks.
You prob need a new one now.
Any allison dealer will have them.

from mobile

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The plugs used to get glued in.
Mike said he was goin to give u the low down.
I would told you to leave switch hooked up and plugged in. Wrench bolts out and then put back on new trans on marks

from mobile

Speak English dumbshit. Don't post to read your own shit and feel good.
get off your phone or I'll fix it for you.

Motomike119

Addicted
Dec 28, 2013
Blountville, TN
Yea, I unhooked the plug with my transmission in Park. Not sure where the other trans was.

Mike, I tried calling.. Goes to voice mail.

Thanks,
Michael 386-937-0092

Motomike119

Addicted
Dec 28, 2013
Blountville, TN
Nsbu switch will be here Wednesday. I found a transmission shop that will reset my taps. If it goes back into limp mode that means the clutches are burnt up and needs a rebuild? That will suck, and I'm no better off than I was, other than having TWO jacked up transmissions now and out the cash and parts to install the donor.. :eek::eek: gotta love the life of curve balls.

Motomike119

Addicted
Dec 28, 2013
Blountville, TN
Ok, I installed the new nsbu switch. Put the truck in neutral, unhooked the batteries, removed old switch, installed the new switch, hooked the batteries back up, and nothing. Ck engine light is on and theres no gear selector line under the gear on the cluster. I've Unplugged, and replaced the switch but nothing. It almost feels like the plug is not clicking when I push it on the nsbu switch.. Any ideas?

Motomike119

Addicted
Dec 28, 2013
Blountville, TN
Had to pull the front drive shaft again to get to the plug just need a little more muscle to get it to plug in good. That's fixed. Ck engine light still on, and still in limp mode. I'm going to drop it off at precision transmission tomorrow to get my taps reset. I sure hope it fixes the hard shift from neutral to drive.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

Big props to Mike L. For the info tonight :thumb:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
P2810 is the TCM looking for the G solenoid.
Give me a call and I'll walk you through the fix.

Motomike119

Addicted
Dec 28, 2013
Blountville, TN
20140110_180455.jpg Removed harness, and G Solenoid from my old transmissio. I'll install it into the transmission in the truck tomorrow morning. Will I still have to reset the taps? Or will the ck engine light go off by itself?

Attachments

• 20140110_180455.jpg
    20140110_180455.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Motomike119

Addicted
Dec 28, 2013
Blountville, TN
Ok, put the new harness and G Solenoid in... Unhooked the batteries, waited, and hooked everything back up. Ck engine light still on, and still shifting hard into D and R.... I just don't know what else to do.. :confused:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Ok, put the new harness and G Solenoid in... Unhooked the batteries, waited, and hooked everything back up. Ck engine light still on, and still shifting hard into D and R.... I just don't know what else to do.. :confused:

Clear the code and reset garage taps.

Motomike119

Addicted
Dec 28, 2013
Blountville, TN
I was looking at Allison 1000 transmission manuals and it looks like there are a few of them. Which one do I need to buy? If my E shift valve is stuck and needs to be cleaned can I do it in the truck?

After reading alot of post on it, that's the same thing my truck is doing with the hard shift into D after a few seconds.

Motomike119

Addicted
Dec 28, 2013
Blountville, TN
Im going to put my valve body from my transmission into the transmission that is in my truck now. Is there a trick to taking out the shifting linkage the the nsbu is hooked to?