Allison 5sp: Horrible noise coming from the transmission

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Im going to put my valve body from my transmission into the transmission that is in my truck now. Is there a trick to taking out the shifting linkage the the nsbu is hooked to?

kind of just drop it slowly and at a slight angle away from the linkage, keeping an eye on the pin so not to drop it and lose it.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Leave the valve body bolts snug ( finger tight ) and mount on the trans case. Then torque all the bolts to 96 in lb. There will be less of a chance of the valve body to distort as it will be supported on the case.

Motomike119

Addicted
Dec 28, 2013
Blountville, TN
Valve body did the trick. I need to have the codes cleared and see if they come back. Drove the truck for awhile and everything worked as it should. Big thanks to this site and the guys that helped me out!! Another successful ending! :woott::thumb:

kurtibm

Mar 12, 2014
Hi All-
I have a noise in my 2001 Allison - sounds a lot like a rear end noise (sort of a howling) but it seems to be in the transmission gear train. 250K miles.
Anyway, the noise is more pronounced in low gear and it is louder/more prevalent on deceleration - whereas at a steady speed it almost disappears. 2WD, 4WD, 4WD L - no change. Any Allison trans guys have a hypothesis, please? Rear planetary maybe?
BTW - No codes.

Many thanks!

Kurt

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Sounds like you lost a torrington bearing. Pull the pan and look for metal debris. If you find excessive metal debris your going to have to pull the transmission and completely disassemble it to finish diagnosing it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2