Allison 5sp: Horrible noise coming from the transmission

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Yup fixed that good catch

Back on topic now.
Op says noise in 1st and 2nd.
What is spinning in those gears and stopped in all others?

Op also thinks possible tc locks and noise goes away.

Lets help him out.

How could we pinpoint further?

from mobile

Last edited:

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Yup fixed that good catch

Back on topic now.
Op says noise in 1st and 2nd.
What is spinning in those gears and stopped in all others?

Op also thinks possible tc locks and noise goes away.

Lets help him out.

How could we pinpoint further?

from mobile

At this point with the pan "Full of metal shavings" it needs to come out anyhow so I don't see the sense in going crazy with diagnostics.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I understand what you mean. But "full of metal shaving" is not enough if the pan has never been off some amount of wear material is normal. 250k is a lot of miles.
If there are not huge piles or chunks I would hesitate and do dome research.

Maybe the op is saving for a premium build. If we can grt some life out of it maybe he will be able to get a really nice trans in the future.
At 250k a good deal of things can fail. Is the truck in good condition and worthy of a new trans?

from mobile

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I understand what you mean. But "full of metal shaving" is not enough if the pan has never been off some amount of wear material is normal. 250k is a lot of miles.
If there are not huge piles or chunks I would hesitate and do dome research.

Maybe the op is saving for a premium build. If we can grt some life out of it maybe he will be able to get a really nice trans in the future.
At 250k a good deal of things can fail. Is the truck in good condition and worthy of a new trans?

from mobile

A pan full of metal shavings isn't ok even for a 250,000 mile truck. I've yet to see a healthy trans with a pan full of metal.

Motomike119

Addicted
Dec 28, 2013
Blountville, TN
The truck is in great shape inside and out. Regular maintenance has been keep on it. I change the screw on transmission filter, and fuel filter about every 3 or 4 oil changes. I use to race ATV's so we were all over the place. The truck has seen almost all Hwy miles and with my trailer. I pulled about 29k up Sams gap from Fl to TN and that's the first time my truck ever acted funny. I changed fuel filter, oil, and screw on transmission filter and never had a problem again. When it started making noise this time it just happened that morning... Was fine on the way home the night before. Doesn't make noise just sitting there, but does moving forward or reverse. Transfer fluids were dark... I pulled a magnet thro the pan and had about a silver dollars worth of good size shavings . I have about 2k to spend on it right now... And don't have another vehicle to pull my trailer. Monster Jams are starting in January and I have no ride. Not sure about good Allison builders up here. I'd like to get a better torque converter.. I'm not putting any crazy HP tune on it, but would be nice to run a tune to get alittle more out of it.

Attachments

• 20131220_171404.jpg
    20131220_171404.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 73

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
With 2k you could get a decent single converter a transgo kit new clutches and do it yourself! With that amount a debris it's time to rebuild it IMO

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Maybe you can try looking for a used transmission that will be cheap for now to get you around and save up the cash to get your original trans built in the future since it's out.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Sounds like it is a good truck.
Good luck with repairs.
Were all the metal chips steel?
If we could narrow it down to a failed converter maybe you could just buy a stock tc used. They are a dime a dozen. Stick that in and hope any debris stays out of the valve train and pinion gear bearings etc. Drive it some then pull pan and filters before the monster jam.
Maybe some other members have some ideas on isolating the tc as the noise.
from mobile

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The planets are gone in this trans. Probably cost to much to rebuild. Pick up a good used unit as mentioned above. Do not use existing converter over. Flush cooler lines forward and backwards with air pressure. ( preferably a hot oil flusher )