Allison 5sp: Horrible noise coming from the transmission

Motomike119

Addicted
Dec 28, 2013
Blountville, TN
Yea, all metal. I'll look on here.. I've been looking around, definitely some under 2k but you never know what ur getting. Some people don't service there vehicles like they should. At this point I don't have much of a choice. I just moved from Fl and bought a house up here, then Christmas..all of that really got in my pocket pretty good. Just bad timing right now. Thanks for the replys!! I'll keep you posted on the out come. :thumb:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If worse comes to worse, look on car-part.com. You should be able to find a trans local to you.

Motomike119

Addicted
Dec 28, 2013
Blountville, TN
I found one that's only 50 miles from me, He bought a built trans and EFI live. It's a 04 he said it has never been limped.. But what if it has? Can I just buy a built single clutch to and be Ok? He wants a $1000 for it.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
If you need a converter; look at a brand new LML 2 sided disc converter. They can be had for under 600.00 from the dealer.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
So, if it's been limped.. It just needs a to?

No if it was limped the clutches will be lightly toasted.
If you can manage it time wise and transportation. Yank it out and pull it apart if you are getting a used one. Maybe someone has a cheap gearset or it was all tc etc.
Then at least you will feel comfortable or know not to open the used one and renew frictions etc.
Buy a good allison manual and give it a shot. If you are getting a used there is no core and you really have nothing to loose other than your time by taking it apart.

from mobile

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
i understand what you mean. But "full of metal shaving" is not enough if the pan has never been off some amount of wear material is normal. 250k is a lot of miles.
If there are not huge piles or chunks i would hesitate and do dome research.

Maybe the op is saving for a premium build. If we can grt some life out of it maybe he will be able to get a really nice trans in the future.
At 250k a good deal of things can fail. Is the truck in good condition and worthy of a new trans?

From mobile

wow!
First two sentences say it all. Steer clear of this guys shop!!

Motomike119

Addicted
Dec 28, 2013
Blountville, TN
I bought a trans, and I'm going to install it this weekend. When I'm done will I have to do anything to the tcm? Fast learn, reprogram....?? Or just install, plug and go??

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
Just install plug and go it will relearn on its own. Can't remember the exact miles for relearn. I want to say 50-200 miles unless u have a buddy with a tech 2. . Just make sure u flush the coolers real well as mike said or else you will trash the new one. I learned the hard way. And change the spin on shortly after the swap.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I plug the lower cooler line and fill it with brake clean and let it sit for a few then blow low pressure shop air through it. I repeat a few times till it comes out clean. Couple cans of brake clean should be enough.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
hot soapy water does a good job for me, with air to agitate the soap. The hotter the water the better.
Then dry it out with a solovent and air.

Motomike119

Addicted
Dec 28, 2013
Blountville, TN
Switching to 1/2" drive Nither impact gun I have will break them loose. I'll try a breaker bar in the mornin... I have a friend coming to help me out... Definitely not that easy by yourself! I need to get this done tomorrow.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Switching to 1/2" drive Nither impact gun I have will break them loose. I'll try a breaker bar in the mornin... I have a friend coming to help me out... Definitely not that easy by yourself! I need to get this done tomorrow.

May want to heat them to break down the lock-tite, if you round them off you are screwed.