Hop issue

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Not to offend you but Josh has been around the block a time or two. So you might want to change your tone a little if you want help from the experienced guys.

Send me a pm and I'll give you my number so I can post pics and video. It helps more than you can imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I was told differently and that's why I did control arms too. Thread isn't about correcting ride quality or what's right and wrong about leveling keys I know it's not ideal for pulling as I said in the beginning it's about tryin to get advice on my hopping issue thank you for that Info tho.

Several guys have stated that lift keys could be causing or at least contributing to your hopping issue, and I happen to agree. You stated your reason for needing lift keys, and I was simply pointing out the problem with your reason for lift keys. If you can't get enough lift out of stock keys, that's one thing, but ride quality is not a valid reason to install lift keys. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you aren't willing to follow advice you've been given, there isn't much we can do to help. If you need more clearance than stock keys can provide and you aren't willing to put smaller tires on for daily driving, you might want to consider a 4" lift to get the best of both worlds.

06BlackStallion

Jun 30, 2013
North Brookfield,MA
i have no tone I appreciate the help and I know you guys know what your talking about that's why I asked for help but this thread isn't gonna turn into a pissing match about who knows the most about anything. As I stated in the beginning of the thread I know leveled keys aren't ideal for pulling but I have pulled many times with them in and this has never happened until I did control arms and air bags. Just trying to narrow down some things. If I had my stock keys they would be in but I don't have them anymore. Looking for help that's all

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Not sure you will listen but here is my advice, 3rd gear start tune, dont air the bags up at all, suspension stops with spring clamp and CalTracs will work fine for pulling, air the tires up a little more or go to a less aggressive tire and a higher gear, get rid of the lift keys and get stock ones back on it, put good shocks on the front to keep the front end from lifting. Take it or leave it, but that will make for a smooth pull.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i have no tone I appreciate the help and I know you guys know what your talking about that's why I asked for help but this thread isn't gonna turn into a pissing match about who knows the most about anything. As I stated in the beginning of the thread I know leveled keys aren't ideal for pulling but I have pulled many times with them in and this has never happened until I did control arms and air bags. Just trying to narrow down some things. If I had my stock keys they would be in but I don't have them anymore. Looking for help that's all

Concidering the UCA against won't affect the hopping, I'd suggest going back to when the issue started.... The air bags ;).

I'd also ditch the lift keys

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm not trying to start a pissing match. I'm just trying to help. Maybe it is the air bags. I hope so.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
That 2-1/2" gap on the front bump stops is not helping. Are the upper control arms new for this season?

Might need to make a block or something to get rid of the gap between the front bump stop and the control arms.

06BlackStallion

Jun 30, 2013
North Brookfield,MA
Ya I got them them in the spring after a winter accident I put a new front end in it. I don't know if this will help but Im gonna lower my keys down most of the way thenput a grade 8 bolt through my jounce bad hole on the frame and have it bottom out on lower control arm then turn the keys off all the way and hopefully that will give me some downward weight on front end. Not sure if I should block the gap out the upper control arms I'm nervous I will make it all worse.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Even with your lift keys backed off you will still have too much angle on the CV shafts going down the track. They aren't going to last long nor are they transferring power efficiently. The more angle you have on them the more each tire is going to be speeding up and slowing down each revolution (cv shafts are supposed to reduce this effect commonly seen with ujoints, but at extreme angles they still do bind obviously). I wouldn't mess too much with your control arms yet, just take the air out of the bags and don't put too much preload on the caltracs. Then when you are ready, put in a 4in lift up front or put it back to stock keys

Last edited:

06BlackStallion

Jun 30, 2013
North Brookfield,MA
Thanks Tim. Eventually I wanna have a pull truck but for now I'm tryin to make do with what I have as a DD. I will def take you guys advice on those keys and try to find some stock ones to throw in.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Or remove an end link for the pull, which will allow each tire to follow the divets in the track better. You'll notice you won't fight the wheel as much.

bubba2400

Jul 19, 2009
Union Grove, WI
Either get in it faster or walk it out a little further before going wide open. The tires are trying to hook around 75' out but it doesn't have enough power to spin through that area. It basically becomes easier to push the truck up than to spin the tires.

Or the last thing that can/should be done is to take some bite out of it. Air the tires up hard or less tread. That is the last thing that should be done. Good luck

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
Either get in it faster or walk it out a little further before going wide open. The tires are trying to hook around 75' out but it doesn't have enough power to spin through that area. It basically becomes easier to push the truck up than to spin the tires.

Or the last thing that can/should be done is to take some bite out of it. Air the tires up hard or less tread. That is the last thing that should be done. Good luck

Thats what I am thinking. More rpm. tires should spin a bit most of the way to keep them from digging down. I ran torsion bolts out and no front stops. let it sit real low and I was on 35s with 4 inch lift and you can see how high my front is in my avatar.

06BlackStallion

Jun 30, 2013
North Brookfield,MA
Checked the end links and they are good. Evan at limitless diesel set me up with a 3rd gear start tonight so I'm hoping that will help a lot. Like you guys said I'm gonna air the tires up because they are pretty much brand new so they have a lot of bite. I was think 45 up front and 60 in the back?

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Even with your lift keys backed off you will still have too much angle on the CV shafts going down the track. They aren't going to last long nor are they transferring power efficiently. The more angle you have on them the more each tire is going to be speeding up and slowing down each revolution (cv shafts are supposed to reduce this effect commonly seen with ujoints, but at extreme angles they still do bind obviously). I wouldn't mess too much with your control arms yet, just take the air out of the bags and don't put too much preload on the caltracs. Then when you are ready, put in a 4in lift up front or put it back to stock keys

As everyone stated, the lift keys are a problem. But if you didn't have the issue before air bags and control arms…seems the solution is fairly obvious. I have lift keys in mine to clear my tires. With the bolts out my CV angles are about the same as with my stock keys maxed out… maybe even worse. I tried pulling anyway and grenaded a cv and later found the other cracked. Also bent tie rods with sleeves on. Eventually putting on a Cognito 4-6" lift so I can have level angles and still run my 33's. Can't wait to hook it up to a sled again.

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Checked the end links and they are good. Evan at limitless diesel set me up with a 3rd gear start tonight so I'm hoping that will help a lot. Like you guys said I'm gonna air the tires up because they are pretty much brand new so they have a lot of bite. I was think 45 up front and 60 in the back?

I also made the mistake of lowering the pressure on my mud tires when I pulled. Everyone at the track I pulled at looked like they were running their air pressure at what they would use on the street.

06BlackStallion

Jun 30, 2013
North Brookfield,MA
It's weird because my CV angles are actually really good for having the keys in. I gotta get my hands on some stock one for next season tho. My buddy runs air bags maxed out during pulls and he does pretty good but every truck is different and in my case my truck is not liking something lol

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Lay on the ground like ten or fifteen feet back and take a picture of cv angles

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk