Highest HP achieved

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
A long time ago, we ran a stock LLY at 750rwhp and it was trapping 120mph at high DA on pump fuel with a GT4202R.

The weird part at the time was the stock injectors, which according to experts could not flow more than 400HP worth of fuel, since the LLY has much smaller injectors.

It bent all rods roughly the same, and drove home from the track.

I seriously believe you could hit 1000HP today with stock internals. How long would it last? Dunno. But if IIRC, we only made 1300ftlb at 900+ rwhp. You do it with RPM.

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
Two years ago I dyno'ed 702 and made about 100 1/4 mile runs, last year on the same motor I made 760 and made about 40 1/8 mile runs and about 40 1/4 mile runs all on the stock long block. The last race I went to last year I wanted to see what it could do so I had Mark turn it up. I made 2 passes and the engine started to tick. It was not loud and there was no white smoke so i made 3 more runs with it ticking. When I rebuilt my motor all 8 rods were bent and 3 of them were hitting the crank as they came around. The engine still ran good even with the bent rods.

AdaMax

Nov 26, 2010
Caldwell , Oh
Two years ago I dyno'ed 702 and made about 100 1/4 mile runs, last year on the same motor I made 760 and made about 40 1/8 mile runs and about 40 1/4 mile runs all on the stock long block. The last race I went to last year I wanted to see what it could do so I had Mark turn it up. I made 2 passes and the engine started to tick. It was not loud and there was no white smoke so i made 3 more runs with it ticking. When I rebuilt my motor all 8 rods were bent and 3 of them were hitting the crank as they came around. The engine still ran good even with the bent rods.

I really like hearing this . Mark just dyno tuned my truck and I would love to see it stay together for a couple years so I can build a motor at my own pace .

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I really like hearing this . Mark just dyno tuned my truck and I would love to see it stay together for a couple years so I can build a motor at my own pace .

I wouldn't expect yours to last as long as his did at that power level. You have to take how much lighter his truck is into consideration.

Was that when you had the twin's on it? I am hoping to get in the high 600's with my LLY but am wondering if I'm starting to walk on thin ice. I'd like to twin it to try an help keep some cool air in it, but an wondering if the money is better spent on rod's instead of a S480

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Was that when you had the twin's on it? I am hoping to get in the high 600's with my LLY but am wondering if I'm starting to walk on thin ice. I'd like to twin it to try an help keep some cool air in it, but an wondering if the money is better spent on rod's instead of a S480

I love my twins but i would say rods are your wisest investment. Then you can always add twins later or a super single

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Hear's some info. Years ago when I tested at what power I would shorten rods at, we got to 575hp or so on a Superflow load cell dyno before the compression when from 400psi to around 290-300psi on ALL cylinders (I know some contest this but this was my findings from my experiment). The truck still ran great. We kept bumping the power up till we were over 750+hp and it still ran great and I drove it home even (I don't think talking about doing things like this is very wise or smart and can be dangerous). It lasted for 8 more months or so with spirited driving and full power bursts on back country roads (paved) before the heads started leaking every now and again. This was just MY findings using a compression tester and just my 2 cts.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Yeah thats what I figured, and will probably do...Twins are just sooo badass though lol :thumb:
Twins will be very hard on a stock bottom end. You can produce allot of bottom end torque with twins, You would be safer to go with a big single this will push the torque up in the RPM's and be a little easier on the rods.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Twins will be very hard on a stock bottom end. You can produce allot of bottom end torque with twins, You would be safer to go with a big single this will push the torque up in the RPM's and be a little easier on the rods.

Either setup IMOP is the same on the rods and both can be made safer if you increase the rpm range , the initial spool up difference isnt what bends rods , both will make close to equal torque IMOP when the 4-5 shift is made and the truck gets drug down to 2600 rpm 's ( turbo's stay fully spool through every gear after 1st ) This to me is the most stress the rods will likely see is when in the highest gear. When talking about de- torquing, its not just about how the fuel is brought in, after going WOT most de torquing methods go out the window or else they hinder performance , the only way to stay out of torque is to move shift points / rpm range up regardless of what turbo is used . The exception is when rolling into the throttle but a simple tcm change and forcing a down shift will still keep the truck out of peak torque as long as the shift point is raised .

Last edited:

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
Either setup IMOP is the same on the rods and both can be made safer if you increase the rpm range , the initial spool up difference isnt what bends rods , both will make close to equal torque IMOP when the 4-5 shift is made and the truck gets drug down to 2600 rpm 's ( turbo's stay fully spool through every gear after 1st ) This to me is the most stress the rods will likely see is when in the highest gear. When talking about de- torquing, its not just about how the fuel is brought in after WOT most de torquing methods go out the window or else they hinder performance , the only way to stay out of torque is to move shift points / rpm range up regardless of what turbo is used . The exception is when rolling into the throttle but a simple tcm change and forcing a down shift will still keep the truck out of peak torque as long as the shift point is raised .

great info trent ! and mpsoldier i knew this was gonna start a :poop: