Highest HP achieved

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
great info trent ! and mpsoldier i knew this was gonna start a :poop:

This isnt any thing , search for some old engine threads :roflmao:

to add to my last post , what works on a dyno for limiting torque doesn't always apply to what happens through multiple gears , we see on a dyno a larger single hits less torque , but IMOP once that turbo is lit and when going through multiple gears that goes out the window . Once again this is juts my opinion .

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
great info trent ! and mpsoldier i knew this was gonna start a :poop:

i knew it to but just wanted to know must say that this is not wise for anyone to do crazy amount of power with out having a second engine to replace it with. Next you will break something just when. Finally its more of a history lesson for everyone rather than going out and do it bc it wont last. All motors act different just remember that.:thumb:

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
i knew it to but just wanted to know must say that this is not wise for anyone to do crazy amount of power with out having a second engine to replace it with. Next you will break something just when. Finally its more of a history lesson for everyone rather than going out and do it bc it wont last. All motors act different just remember that.:thumb:

X2, and yes weight has a lot to do with it.

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
This isnt any thing , search for some old engine threads :roflmao:

to add to my last post , what works on a dyno for limiting torque doesn't always apply to what happens through multiple gears , we see on a dyno a larger single hits less torque , but IMOP once that turbo is lit and when going through multiple gears that goes out the window . Once again this is juts my opinion .

i kno i kno! :D i think were gonna have to see how far we can push mine this summer:hug:

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Either setup IMOP is the same on the rods and both can be made safer if you increase the rpm range , the initial spool up difference isnt what bends rods , both will make close to equal torque IMOP when the 4-5 shift is made and the truck gets drug down to 2600 rpm 's ( turbo's stay fully spool through every gear after 1st ) This to me is the most stress the rods will likely see is when in the highest gear. When talking about de- torquing, its not just about how the fuel is brought in, after going WOT most de torquing methods go out the window or else they hinder performance , the only way to stay out of torque is to move shift points / rpm range up regardless of what turbo is used . The exception is when rolling into the throttle but a simple tcm change and forcing a down shift will still keep the truck out of peak torque as long as the shift point is raised .
I know with the correct tuning twinned trucks perform and last. Am I wrong in thinking twinned dmaxs can build an incredable amount of bottom end torque? under 2k RPMs? My truck doesn't begin to really pull until about 25-2600 rpms. I was under the impression allot of torque low in the RPM's was a stock rod killer?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I know with the correct tuning twinned trucks perform and last. Am I wrong in thinking twinned dmaxs can build an incredable amount of bottom end torque? under 2k RPMs? My truck doesn't begin to really pull until about 25-2600 rpms. I was under the impression allot of torque low in the RPM's was a stock rod killer?

No your def not wrong in thinking that nor is any one in this thread wrong just different opinions , just have to really think about it and look at and consider , when are you ever under say 2400 rpm and at full load with a large tune ? Once WOT the shift points dictate the rpm the engine can be exposed to and when not WOT the truck is seeing relatively low power , thats the main point to address de torquing with shift points , it is the only thing that can control the rpm range the engine is allowed to see aside from being on a dyno , once @ WOT even with a stock tcm tune you will never see under 2600 rpm unless you have high gearing or large tires , and even a S475 as a single stays fully lit at that RPM , the only reason the twin "can" make higher torque is that they can light at a lower rpm , once lit I don't think there is any torque difference of note since the air flow numbers are close between the 2 ( S475 is actually more than a stock / S475 by a bit ) , the only exception is if a guy was to roll into the throttle in 5th gear at the right moment and that can be fixed with a quick change in TCM .

The next problem to consider though is that to really be able to take advantage of the desired RPM range to get out of peak torque ( with out loosing " average HP " ) a larger turbo / turbo's are required then usually would be specd :bdh:

Another to consider if a guy really wanted to easily keep out of torque TC lock up could be an easy fix , but would certainly hurt performance until X MPH ( what ever a guy decided the sweet spot was to allow it to lock up )

Last edited:

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
No your def not wrong in thinking that nor is any one in this thread wrong just different opinions , just have to really think about it and look at and consider , when are you ever under say 2400 rpm and at full load with a large tune ? Once WOT the shift points dictate the rpm the engine can be exposed to and when not WOT the truck is seeing relatively low power , thats the main point to address de torquing with shift points , it is the only thing that can control the rpm range the engine is allowed to see aside from being on a dyno , once @ WOT even with a stock tcm tune you will never see under 2600 rpm unless you have high gearing or large tires , and even a S475 as a single stays fully lit at that RPM , the only reason the twin "can" make higher torque is that they can light at a lower rpm , once lit I don't think there is any torque difference of note since the air flow numbers are close between the 2 ( S475 is actually more than a stock / S475 by a bit ) , the only exception is if a guy was to roll into the throttle in 5th gear at the right moment and that can be fixed with a quick change in TCM .

The next problem to consider though is that to really be able to take advantage of the desired RPM range to get out of peak torque ( with out loosing " average HP " ) a larger turbo / turbo's are required then usually would be specd :bdh:

Another to consider if a guy really wanted to easily keep out of torque TC lock up could be an easy fix , but would certainly hurt performance until X MPH ( what ever a guy decided the sweet spot was to allow it to lock up )

very good info.;)