GM to finally use 4.5L Duramax!

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
It's not just the emissions equipment alone that adds enormous cost to diesels. Look at a current gas engines fuel system vs a current diesel fuel system. Notice any extra components or the like for like components that are way more expensive? How many factory gas engines need to come with a turbo charger? Last I checked you won't find to many NA diesel engines. When you add a turbo you generally have to add some sort of intercooler system. The fact is diesels cost a lot more for a good reason, there's actually a lot more under the hood.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I need a diesel. Mine has 178k miles, 118k of which are over 500hp. Is there another vehicle to do that and get good fuel mileage on 35s and haul all my crap and dogs during hunting season? Nope.

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
It's not just the emissions equipment alone that adds enormous cost to diesels. Look at a current gas engines fuel system vs a current diesel fuel system. Notice any extra components or the like for like components that are way more expensive? How many factory gas engines need to come with a turbo charger? Last I checked you won't find to many NA diesel engines. When you add a turbo you generally have to add some sort of intercooler system. The fact is diesels cost a lot more for a good reason, there's actually a lot more under the hood.

Turbochargers are being used in many gasoline engines today because of federal fuel mileage requirements.
But then again, Diesels might be the only way to meet the future federal fuel mileage requirements. Gas engines and even gas/hybrids cannot compete, so manufacturers will be forced to use diesel unless?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...zes-historic-545-mpg-fuel-efficiency-standard

http://www.c2es.org/federal/executive/vehicle-standards#ldv_2012_to_2025

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Turbochargers are being used in many gasoline engines today because of federal fuel mileage requirements.
But then again, Diesels might be the only way to meet the future federal fuel mileage requirements. Gas engines and even gas/hybrids cannot compete, so manufacturers will be forced to use diesel unless?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...zes-historic-545-mpg-fuel-efficiency-standard

http://www.c2es.org/federal/executive/vehicle-standards#ldv_2012_to_2025

I wasn't suggesting turbo's aren't used on gas engines, simply that they aren't necessary like they are on diesels. Plus gas engines that come turbocharged typically carry a premium, albeit not as much as diesel. Honestly with the advancements in battery technology we're going to see more and more pure electric vehicles. If you look at what Tesla been able to accomplish already you'll see that 10 years grom now things are going to be very different.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I love people that think they know more about running GM then GM does. They probably spend more in market analysis a year then then most of us have made in our life so far... That might not make them right, but its a lot more logical the us saying"Well I want one so they need to make it."

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Gassers now have direct injection, so the whole diesel fuel system being expensive and complicated is slowly being removed...

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I love people that think they know more about running GM then GM does. They probably spend more in market analysis a year then then most of us have made in our life so far... That might not make them right, but its a lot more logical the us saying"Well I want one so they need to make it."

Well, GM did spend millions to develop the 4.5L which is a drop in replacement for a gas V8.

It was stalled because of the bankruptcy. My guess is it will be used eventually, or licensed to another company. The design work, patents, and tooling are worth millions. If they weren't going to use it, a smart company would sell it.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Well, GM did spend millions to develop the 4.5L which is a drop in replacement for a gas V8.

It was stalled because of the bankruptcy. My guess is it will be used eventually, or licensed to another company. The design work, patents, and tooling are worth millions. If they weren't going to use it, a smart company would sell it.

GM will just roll whatever knowledge they garnered from the 4.5 liter project into future platforms if they decide not to emplient the use of this particular power plant. I can assure you the money was by no means wasted...

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I think the 4.5 design is long in the tooth by this time and will never be used except for a tax write off.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Wasn't a few of it unique features used in the Ford 6.7? Reverse flow heads...

I would of like to see where the production of would of and still might lead the 6.6 its a little long the tooth now too. Not to say it isn't a great engine.

Sent from a ditch being dug near you using Tapatalk

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I think the 4.5 design is long in the tooth by this time and will never be used except for a tax write off.

I agree.
I don't doubt they will come out with a diesel at some point. And I would bet on it being in a small truck first. But I don't believe we will see a 4.5. At least not in it's current form.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
GM's current gas V8 dates back to 1997. Before, it's design dated back to the 1950's.

The Dmax dates back to 2001.

Not sure what the capabilities of the 4.5L are, but it is a far newer design than other GM V8's.

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
Piezo, overhead cams, reverse flow heads.. It's pretty feature rich. I don't know what you'd add or change to make it any better, from an emissions standpoint. DPF and SCR will dictate emissions output. I'm sure it could hit the new standards if they wanted.

The 6.7 scorpion isn't slated to change for a long time after this years switchover to avnt37 turbo. It's a similar design to 4.5L except for the god awful 32 pushrods!

Ford finally has their Duramax.