GM to finally use 4.5L Duramax!

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Pat you are a sick sick man! Joke about my wife having an affair or call like your from the health department to tell me I have an incurable disease, but never joke about diesel !!!

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Yeah, April Fools.

However I can't help but think that GM is really missing the boat by not making this engine available.

Not necessarily for the 1/2 truck, but for the SUV's and passenger cars that will accept a V8. Supposedly, the 4.5L will fit anywhere an LS1 will fit.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Yeah, April Fools.

However I can't help but think that GM is really missing the boat by not making this engine available.

Not necessarily for the 1/2 truck, but for the SUV's and passenger cars that will accept a V8. Supposedly, the 4.5L will fit anywhere an LS1 will fit.

The 4.5 I saw looked very wide at the top. Way bigger than I thought it would be.

dman777

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, April Fools.

I agree 100%. My wife's tahoe sure could use a diesel motor. Since the EPA likes to regulate everything anyway, I think they should mandate any vehicle over 5000 lbs must come from the factory with a diesel engine. :)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Im sorry guys, but us diesel fanatics need a reality check. Yeah, Im all for it, because it would be "COOL"...but is it feasible/realistic option? NO. Bear with me here......

The new tahoes are rated at 23mpg highway. A 4.5 V8 duramax would probably get high 20's AT BEST highway fuel economy. If the diminutive 240hp 3.0 V6 diesel in the new half ton Ram's cant even get 30mpg, theres no way a 4.5 liter 310hp V8 is going to do any better.

So you guys are telling me that you'll pay an extra 8 grand for an engine option that burns more expensive fuel, costs more to maintain/service (oil changes, DEF, etc), and costs a shitload more to fix when its out of warranty....all for less than 5 mpg better fuel economy???? Are you nuts?

By the time you've driven enough mileage to offset the cost of the diesel with its slightly better fuel economy, you'll have already paid out the butt for maintenance and out-of-warranty repair costs that you'll want to burn the truck to the ground.

I can go to any junk yard and buy a good used 5.3 for the cost of one duramax fuel injector.

The gas engine burns cheaper fuel, is arguably more reliable, DEFINITELY cheaper to fix, and the LSx small blocks have proven themselves to be basically just as long-lasting as a diesel.

Do the math. It doesnt add up. And THATS why we havent seen a diesel tahoe/suburban, and most likely never will. It isnt because "GM IS DUMB" or "GM DOESNT LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMERS".

Ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I think they should mandate any vehicle over 5000 lbs must come from the factory with a diesel engine. :)

tee hee, ok. I hope you enjoy your $75,000 tahoe that burns the most expensive fuel available, costs an arm and a leg to fix when it breaks, and doesnt even get 30 MPG. :rolleyes:

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
tee hee, ok. I hope you enjoy your $75,000 tahoe that burns the most expensive fuel available, costs an arm and a leg to fix when it breaks, and doesnt even get 30 MPG. :rolleyes:

Closer to 85 if it had a diesel I'd say. New Tahoes are like 70k and I'd load it up if money was no object lol but I couldn't fathom that much for a vehicle like that

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Diesel is a luxury. As pointed out in other threads, we are willing to pay more for the advantages of towing and easy horsepower. Can a 5.3 V8 (reliably and year in and out) tow anything of legit weight?

A family with a boat or camper may get away with towing a few times a year. That same family could RELIABLY tow that 8k pound boat or heavier camper without worrying or roasting the 4L60.

Nobody is arguing the 5.3 isn't a good engine. Just the fact that "crazy" people will def pay for the option. And yet to counter my own argument the 7.3 Excursion didn't last too long. But I do see them every time I'm at the lake:D

dman777

Apr 11, 2012
Im sorry guys, but us diesel fanatics need a reality check. Yeah, Im all for it, because it would be "COOL"...but is it feasible/realistic option? NO. Bear with me here......

The new tahoes are rated at 23mpg highway. A 4.5 V8 duramax would probably get high 20's AT BEST highway fuel economy. If the diminutive 240hp 3.0 V6 diesel in the new half ton Ram's cant even get 30mpg, theres no way a 4.5 liter 310hp V8 is going to do any better.

So you guys are telling me that you'll pay an extra 8 grand for an engine option that burns more expensive fuel, costs more to maintain/service (oil changes, DEF, etc), and costs a shitload more to fix when its out of warranty....all for less than 5 mpg better fuel economy???? Are you nuts?

By the time you've driven enough mileage to offset the cost of the diesel with its slightly better fuel economy, you'll have already paid out the butt for maintenance and out-of-warranty repair costs that you'll want to burn the truck to the ground.

I can go to any junk yard and buy a good used 5.3 for the cost of one duramax fuel injector.

The gas engine burns cheaper fuel, is arguably more reliable, DEFINITELY cheaper to fix, and the LSx small blocks have proven themselves to be basically just as long-lasting as a diesel.

Do the math. It doesnt add up. And THATS why we havent seen a diesel tahoe/suburban, and most likely never will. It isnt because "GM IS DUMB" or "GM DOESNT LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMERS".

Ben
There are many different ways to look at this. A diesel guy like me will always be biased toward the the oil burner vs gas. You are correct with the cost of fuel, parts etc these days diesel doesn't make sense to some people. But some people buy new vehicles every 3-5 years and like having that $600+ payment a month. Unlike those people I like to buy used, let someone else pay the premium, keep the vehicle for 10+ years, and spend money on repairs if needed (and mods of course) :). The reason I feel the need for a diesel in my wife's tahoe is because I'm used to the torque and power of one. The constant downshifting, high reving and going nowhere fast, and burning more fuel per mile just rubs me the wrong way. From personal experience her tahoe does not get anywhere near 23 mpg. It's a 2010 with a 6 speed, vvt, and active fuel management and the best was able to get was just under 19 driving combo highway and country roads conservatively. But she likes it and it does what it's suppose to so that's all that really matters I guess.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Can a 5.3 V8 (reliably and year in and out) tow anything of legit weight?

Can a 1500/half ton tahoe chassis tow anything of legit weight? Can Tahoe brakes stop anything of legit weight? No. Of course not. So why do you need all this "towing power"?? Who really tows anything of any weight with a tahoe anyways? Maybe 5% of tahoe consumers? Why should GM spend millions of dollars putting a diesel into a tahoe (yes, I said millions. Everyone thinks its just a "bolt in and go" procedure...no...you need to crash test it, you need to fuel economy rate it, you need to design the suspension around it, you need to design the brakes around it, you need to calibrate all the ABS/ESC/EPS systems around it, etc) to appease less than 1,000 customers a year? Thats laughable to think that GM would make their money back if they spent the $$$$ on coming out with an SUV diesel.

How many diesel Grand Cherokee's do you see? Barely any. And IIRC they arent even rated to tow as much as the big V8 gas version.

That same family could RELIABLY tow that 8k pound boat or heavier camper without worrying or roasting the 4L60.

Well golly gee whiz I guess its a good thing, because the 4L60 went away way back in 2008..................

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
From personal experience her tahoe does not get anywhere near 23 mpg. It's a 2010 with a 6 speed, vvt, and active fuel management and the best was able to get was just under 19 driving combo highway and country roads conservatively.

Yeah, it doesnt get 23mpg because its not a 2015 tahoe........its a 2010. The 2009-2014 GMT-900 tahoes are rated at like 20mpg highway I think.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
There are many different ways to look at this. A diesel guy like me will always be biased toward the the oil burner vs gas. You are correct with the cost of fuel, parts etc these days diesel doesn't make sense to some people. But some people buy new vehicles every 3-5 years and like having that $600+ payment a month. Unlike those people I like to buy used, let someone else pay the premium, keep the vehicle for 10+ years, and spend money on repairs if needed (and mods of course) :). .

So if guys like you (people who would pay a premium for a diesel SUV) only buy vehicles used....whos going to spend 75k+ to buy the vehicle NEW in the first place? You cant put the cart before the horse.

The reason I feel the need for a diesel in my wife's tahoe is because I'm used to the torque and power of one. The constant downshifting, high reving and going nowhere fast, and burning more fuel per mile just rubs me the wrong way..

Then it sounds like you're a perfect candidate for a Tahoe/suburban with a duramax swapped in. You're in the 1% of tahoe consumers. So there is 0 incentive for GM to actually build a production piece like that.

Im sorry if Im sounding like an ass or coming off as a debbie downer, but I dont know how else to put it into perspective for you guys...take off your diesel-biased-blinders for a minute and you'll clearly understand/see why it makes no sense for GM to actually produce a full-size diesel SUV.

Ben

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The VW diesel SUV is about a $9k premium and gets 20/29 EPA. Seems to sell OK.

Will the 4.5L be the most efficient small diesel ever? Nobody knows. It's pretty trick.