GM to finally use 4.5L Duramax!

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Well golly gee whiz I guess its a good thing, because the 4L60 went away way back in 2008..................

The 4L60E lived on for alot longer than that behind the 4.3L and 4.8L engines. Only the 5.3L dropped the 4L60E and went 6L80E. I know somebody with a 2011 1500 with a 4.8L and the 4L60E trans.

05greendmax

dyno and drag numberssoon
Dec 26, 2009
ohio
I have a feeling there Gona pull the plug on this agin due to how much debt And all the people sueing them

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Ben, I see exactly where your coming from, no one could really justify the extra cost of a diesel in a 1/2 ton. But trying to convince this crowd is going to be tuff. If I had to guess I'd bet 90% of the members here including myself really don't need the diesel they have now.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
The 4L60E lived on for alot longer than that behind the 4.3L and 4.8L engines. Only the 5.3L dropped the 4L60E and went 6L80E. I know somebody with a 2011 1500 with a 4.8L and the 4L60E trans.

good point!! :thumb: I was just referring to the tahoes/suburbans though, where the 6L80 took over in 09.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Diesel isn't needed for me, but, it gets 20mpg which I would bet is much more than a 3/4 ton gasser, and more importantly, I know how to mod/ruin a 6.0 a whole lot more than a dmax. :roflmao: Needed that hard line to maintain a true DD.

That, and it tows like a dream. :thumb:

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Can a 1500/half ton tahoe chassis tow anything of legit weight? Can Tahoe brakes stop anything of legit weight? No. Of course not. So why do you need all this "towing power"?? Who really tows anything of any weight with a tahoe anyways? Maybe 5% of tahoe consumers? Why should GM spend millions of dollars putting a diesel into a tahoe (yes, I said millions. Everyone thinks its just a "bolt in and go" procedure...no...you need to crash test it, you need to fuel economy rate it, you need to design the suspension around it, you need to design the brakes around it, you need to calibrate all the ABS/ESC/EPS systems around it, etc) to appease less than 1,000 customers a year? Thats laughable to think that GM would make their money back if they spent the $$$$ on coming out with an SUV diesel.

How many diesel Grand Cherokee's do you see? Barely any. And IIRC they arent even rated to tow as much as the big V8 gas version.

Ram had over 8k orders in the first 3 days for there diesel half tons. I'm pretty sure gm could sell plenty. I don't think they'd have to change much to match the smaller lighter dmax imo far as suspension goes they already have the light duty 3/4 stuff or the stronger compents for the denails with the 6.2s I agree its going to cost gm a lot of money to do so but not like your saying it would

I agree and doubt it will happen though but there would be a decent amount buying them I think

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I like how u have to justify having or wanting a diesel. Do u have to have it? Do you tow that much? Diesels have come a loooong way in the last few decades there just gonna get better and hopfully powering more and more cars every year.

Just let me have my diesel:thumb:

dman777

Apr 11, 2012
Like stated before, other manufacturers are and have been selling diesels in SUVs successfully. If they can figure it out why can't GM? Which also brings up another question. Why do diesels cost so much more to manufacture? I read an article a couple years ago about how many manufacturers pulled the plug on their US diesel projects due to the costs for the emissions equipment required. I believe it was Chrysler that said they could produce two gas engines for every one diesel for their ram 1500 due to the cost of the emissions. But they clearly have figured out a way to do it regardless. Who knows they may loose all kinds of money from this and stop production. It doesn't make sense to me how diesel has so much more kinetic energy per volume vs gas and we can't figure out how to make more cost effective.

slowlb7

Feb 10, 2014
des Moines iowa
Didn't Chevy put the 6.2 diesel in just about everything even half tons in the 80s and 90s why would they not put a better diesel in now? Wasn't it when the 6.5turbo come out it was used mostly in 2500-3500 trucks tell the 6.6 duramax come along? Just asking.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Didn't Chevy put the 6.2 diesel in just about everything even half tons in the 80s and 90s why would they not put a better diesel in now? Wasn't it when the 6.5turbo come out it was used mostly in 2500-3500 trucks tell the 6.6 duramax come along? Just asking.
I'm pretty sure it comes down to emissions. The 6.2L had EGR (on some models), and no other emissions. The 6.5L added a DOC (cat), but that was it. This was good enough for even California back then, in trucks and SUVs.

When the Duramax came out, EGR and DOC were required for CA in a truck, but the emissions had tightened up for SUVs, and I don't believe it would have been compliant.

Like dman777 says, the cost of emissions equipment is atrocious in the US. GM sells TONS of diesels worldwide, but most of them don't meet US emissions (which now appear to be the strictest on the planet). So really, I blame the EPA.

And like Ben has been saying, with the cost of diesel fuel being higher than premium in many areas, buying a diesel doesn't make sense, especially when you are not towing constantly (such as with a car or small SUV).

My brother is looking to buy a Cruze, and the payoff on the diesel vs the gas is over 200,000 miles. That ignores the higher maintenance costs, too. In reality, the diesel Cruze may never pay for itself. Might as well save the ~$4k up front and put a built trans in his Duramax!

As much as we all love diesels (we wouldn't be here otherwise), we have to be realistic. There are many situations where a gas motor is just a better choice.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ram had over 8k orders in the first 3 days for there diesel half tons. I'm pretty sure gm could sell plenty. I don't think they'd have to change much to match the smaller lighter dmax imo far as suspension goes they already have the light duty 3/4 stuff or the stronger compents for the denails with the 6.2s I agree its going to cost gm a lot of money to do so but not like your saying it would

You have no idea how much is actually involved. Crash testing alone is a couple hundred grand.

This isnt the same as some hillbilly in his back yard with a welder doing an engine swap. There are lawyers and regulations and certifications involved.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

because back then there were no emissions, no strict regulations on things, etc.

It was a whole different world for auto mfg's back then.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
There is still another reason to run a diesel engine.

I used to have a Ford Van. When towing, I had 175-200 range. That was a real problem. That meant I had to carry a gas can inside, or stop every 100 miles on long trips just to make sure I didn't get stuck anywhere with no gas stations.

I suppose you could just fit a gas Tahoe with a second tank. But even then, when climbing tall grades, the power would be reduced on the gas V8, and it has to spin like crazy to stay at 55mph with a trailer.

When I got my Dmax, I had a 250-350 mile range, and it would break the speed limit climbing the grade to Vail, Colorado.

The heavier the vehicle, the more advantages a diesel has. It would be a premium towing option for a Tahoe that's used to haul a boat, bikes, or small travel trailer.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
And it would hold resale value alot better too. Anyone tried to buy a diesel Excursion lately? Lots near the 250k km mark around here still going for 20 plus.

I know in Ben's awesome world diesels in a half-ton or SUV I is a crime but they would sell LOTS up here. Every service company would have a fleet of them as they use them to haul crews around.
Crew trucks sit and idle for days and the gasser's just don't last. Plus gas is much harder to find up north. Every rig has diesel. Gas is only 10cents a liter less up here and I got the same mileage in my 6 liter as most diesels do or worse so may as well get a diesel. And a whopping 7mpg towing 8000lbs. Not worth it when you have to haul jerry cans with you.
Same goes for Alaska. Everything is diesel up on the slope. It's an un-tapped market that has been neglected for too long.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
You have no idea how much is actually involved. Crash testing alone is a couple hundred grand.

This isnt the same as some hillbilly in his back yard with a welder doing an engine swap. There are lawyers and regulations and certifications involved.

And your point? they have to do that with everything. Dodge took the chance and it's paying off good for them Nissan is next.

I know what's involved and it's chump change compared to there recall bs there dealing with all over now in there product lines. And would be similar to when they change body styles ect.

http://m.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/1402_2014_ram_1500_is_motor_trend_2014_truck_of_the_year/

good review of the rams

Last edited:

SBLC

Here to Learn
Jun 12, 2008
Utah
And your point? they have to do that with everything. Dodge took the chance and it's paying off good for them Nissan is next.

I know what's involved and it's chump change compared to there recall bs there dealing with all over now in there product lines. And would be similar to when they change body styles ect.

http://m.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/1402_2014_ram_1500_is_motor_trend_2014_truck_of_the_year/

good review of the rams
For $50,000 dollars that little lamb better come with some amazing whoo factor components, like my horn when pressed goes Baaa Ba a a aa a Baaa Ba aa aa a. I would have a hard time spending that kind of money, when I can get two very capable trucks (yes older)for that kind of money.

Summary: Shit these days is just getting more and more expensive.

Last edited: