Gearhead. Blessing or Curse?

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
The sickness of being a gearhead is permanent. I started in the 1950s with an Olds powered '53 Studebaker I helped the neighbor build when I was 10. Been a hotrodder ever since. I'm 66 now and saving for retirement so my budget is way limited but I sneak in stuff when I can and stay on top of it with the help of all you guys letting me keep up to date. Still interested and still get that "feeling" every day that tells me to stand on it...

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Gear head, blessing or curse...?

I'd say being a gear head is a blessing, being a performance junkie is a curse;)

:rofl:

Really the only times being a gear head or even a performance junkie, is a curse is when:

You own a vehicle, any vehicle....
You run out of money for parts
You own MORE THAN ONE VEHICLE
You have more than one vehicle that needs parts
Every vehicle you own, and even see, could be better if only......
You run out of time to put something back together and have to borrow the neighbors car
You forget a rag in the intake of your engine when buttoning it up, and then start your engine
All your friends want you to work on their cars
Your parents want you to work on their cars
Your brother wants you to work on his car
Everyone asks to drive your "baby"........like, really?
Your wife's parents want you to work on their cars
You use your wife's jewelry cleaner to clean something, for the 1xth time..
You go somewhere and something breaks
You go somewhere and something goes into limp mode
You go somewhere and something breaks and you don't have the RIGHT tools with you
You go somewhere and something breaks, goes into limp mode, you don't have the right tools AND YOUR WIFE IS WITH YOU
You want more power
When you want more power than your truck can handle
You want more power than your paycheck can handle
When you have more power than your truck can handle
When you have more power than your paycheck can handle
When you can't get your fingers clean in the morning after being up all night working on your "hot rod" for the third night in a row, and you need to make breakfast for the kids
When your kids and their friends want your cars
When your brother wants your truck and keeps asking if it's going to be willed to him....like, for real bro?
When your wife resents your cars
When you can't get but .10c on the dollar for all your modifications upon resale, and that doesn't include your labor and love
When no one around you understands it, sure it's cool and all, but they just don't get it

Other than that, it's totally a gift :happy2:

:roflmao: :spit: :roflmao: :spit:

:angel:

Last edited:

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
The sickness of being a gearhead is permanent. I started in the 1950s with an Olds powered '53 Studebaker I helped the neighbor build when I was 10. Been a hotrodder ever since. I'm 66 now and saving for retirement so my budget is way limited but I sneak in stuff when I can and stay on top of it with the help of all you guys letting me keep up to date. Still interested and still get that "feeling" every day that tells me to stand on it...
:thumb:

j.stanton2009

So Long Space Cowboy...
Aug 18, 2010
Climax Tx
It lets us use more fuel to burn, since they use less fuel. If they want to be gay, they can go ahead.:D:thumbup:;)

Not if you factor in the amount of diesel fuel ( and other resources) severely WASTED in an effort to mine for the nickel (amongst other things) to build the POS batteries for them!!!

But that's another convo for another time! I hate Hybrids; I'm cool with helping the environment, but Prius drivers are so pretentious about it!

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
If you think this hobby is expensive, dont ever get into high performance boating. Or really any boating other than sailboating or motorboating.... Lol.:roflmao:

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
If you think this hobby is expensive, dont ever get into high performance boating. Or really any boating other than sailboating or motorboating.... Lol.:roflmao:
My Uncle has had half a dozen Fountains and 2 OuterLimits. My father had a 32 Sunsations Dominator with a pair of 7.4 MPIs that ran 75 as well. I already have that bug. I'm thinking about a go fast center console with a couple outboards but it will be a few years.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
My Uncle has had half a dozen Fountains and 2 OuterLimits. My father had a 32 Sunsations Dominator with a pair of 7.4 MPIs that ran 75 as well. I already have that bug. I'm thinking about a go fast center console with a couple outboards but it will be a few years.

Nice, a center console with a pair of OB's is good fun. I spend the majority of the year on the water.

My problem is that I currently have too many toys. a 100mph 29' boat, a 34' fishing boat, a streetbike, an '81 CJ7, and the truck. Not to mention guns and ammo. And beer. It's a good thing I make alot of money.:rofl:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
^^^ My issue right there. Too many toys and not enough time/money. Sometimes I feel like a wife/kids would be good to help regulate my spending haha

jnieberlein

Secret Squirrel Diesel
Aug 17, 2009
West By God
Any insight on how to kick the addiction would be greatly appreciated. Mostly by the wife and checkbook:roflmao:

Addiction is the key phrase, we all on this forum are addicted, you want advice to kick your addiction?

get rid of your truck,
sell it to me for $20,
buy a nice mini van.........

ah who am I kidding, that wont work, you will just be upset and miserable (start trying to figure out how to shove a dmax in your new mini van). Go buy yourself some shiney, spiny, go faster truck parts...you'll feel better:D

Jul 24, 2013
jacksonville nc
My addiction wasn't so bad until I joined this forum now the wife complains I'm on it too much.......and My checkbook is complaining too

04 Lb7 cc/SB new guy to the forum

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
I see I'm not alone... lol.
I have to fight the urge to modify everything I buy.

I even pulled the tamperproof plugs on my grass trimmers carb so I could tune it for more power.

Typically the costs do not get too bad until you insist you have to be faster than the next guy.... then it is a rapid down hill spiral of money & broken parts.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Whats the phrase... "Trying to impress people I don't know, with money I don't have"

:rofl:

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
Dave Ramsey says "buying crap you don't need with money you don't have to impress people you don't like".
My wife says if I didn't have this stupid truck we'd be debt free.... it's not stupid it's just misunderstood:(

She is right though:)

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I have to take the restrictors out of all our showerheads for better water pressure. Nothing worse than taking a shower with lame water pressure:D