Gearhead. Blessing or Curse?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
For me my biggest contributor to my addiction is these damn forums. All the shiny pictures of new parts or upcoming races etc. I wish I kept my 500hp go anywhere do anything truck. Now I've got a truck that I can't tow with to the Sierras or beat on. I've got a 700hp that goes really quick in a straight line though LOL

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I'll admit probably the most fun I've had was when the truck was bone stock, maxed out fueling, on 245's, stock turbo with the gate pinched shut. Man did that thing get out of the hole quick. Pretty sure I made it two weeks before the turbo blew and the tranny slipped :roflmao:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I am even trying to decide what the first mod to my commuter car should be. :rofl: It's a butt ass ugly Chevy Aveo I bought from my grandma. It's already getting 32-36 mpg but I'm thinking if I pull out the back seat and spare tire to drop some weight, bump up the tire size 1/2-1" and change the oil with a 0w/20 oil I bet I could get another couple mpg. Not to mention getting the windows tinted so nobody sees me :D It's never ending!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I've been questioned condescendingly many times about spending. My reply remains constant. "Add up your shopping habit, luxury vacation costs, expensive clothes, interior decorating/furniture costs, golfing twice a week, and eating at fancy restaurants all the time....and I still don't spend as much as you. I wear tshirts/jeans, don't go on vaca hardly, eat at cheap places mostly or eat at home, play golf 10 times a year, have the same furniture I did when I was 22, etc etc. This is my hobby, what drives me, what I enjoy...piss off.

While this response usually works and ends the discussion, id be lying if I myself didn't have thoughts and internal conflict (within my mind) about if the juice is worth the squeeze. Sometimes I swear it off after an argument with the wife and threaten to sell my truck and buy an LBZ (stock with a nice set of wheels) and call it good. While most of the juice IS worth the squeeze to me, can't help but wonder how much less stress it would be to drive a simple truck.

Like Brian, my fascination with this began after a ride in Newlys (then) 11 sec truck. I was hooked instantly. Now my truck is that fast and perhaps faster than my 2550us best. 2900us will be sweet to try.... But will it smoke my refreshed Trans? Will my truck be down another 3 months while I deal with it? Will I snap a crank? WHAT WILL MOTHER F'ING BREAK NEXT. It never ends and that fact is why we all are having this discussion.

Sorry for the CoCo puff length rant:rant:

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Like Brian, my fascination with this began after a ride in Newlys (then) 11 sec truck. I was hooked instantly. Now my truck is that fast and perhaps faster than my 2550us best. 2900us will be sweet to try.... But will it smoke my refreshed Trans? Will my truck be down another 3 months while I deal with it? Will I snap a crank? WHAT WILL MOTHER F'ING BREAK NEXT. It never ends and that fact is why we all are having this discussion.

Sorry for the CoCo puff length rant:rant:

I think you hit the nail on the head with everything you said. It is exactly how I feel and with the current power level the breakage issues are more of an issue than ever for me.

As far as the coco puff comment, I thought of him right as I clicked submit on the original post! :roflmao:

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I think you hit the nail on the head with everything you said. It is exactly how I feel and with the current power level the breakage issues are more of an issue than ever for me.

As far as the coco puff comment, I thought of him right as I clicked submit on the original post! :roflmao:

Good ol Jason... Love his passion. His heart is in the right place at least!

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Good ol Jason... Love his passion. His heart is in the right place at least!

Can't argue that! I've grown a special place in my heart for him haha. And his truck has come a long way from the time I sarted a thread to have his original name "caspmax" banned for spreading false info lol

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
This brings up my dilemma......I want to build my truck, but I need to save for a house, but I still want to have a fast truck. So I have been looking a building a turbo gas, but that is a money hole just like my truck. The only good thing about it is I am not the only one with is problem.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
What's depressing is thinking of yourself as a gearhead but not having the cash flow to even enjoy the things you take interest in. I can hardly afford to maintain my truck anymore, much less upgrade it much or get very far with my projects, etc.

I've never been good with stock though. Yep, it's a curse. :eek:

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
I hear you I just bought a house and would still like to buy an LML within a year or two, so it would be really helpful if I could kick the habbit, but I don't see myself stopping. A wise man once told me that having a motorsports hobby is "Better than blowing the money up your nose" haha so I think of that quote to not feel as bad.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
People often wonder how I can afford to have 2 vehicles, live on my own, and have nice things. It is because I don't go out and blow a couple hundred bucks on partying on weekends. Machines are my drugs :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
What's depressing is thinking of yourself as a gearhead but not having the cash flow to even enjoy the things you take interest in. I can hardly afford to maintain my truck anymore, much less upgrade it much or get very far with my projects, etc.

I've never been good with stock though. Yep, it's a curse. :eek:

You know this is the side of the coin that's even tougher ill give you that. I'm sure us bitching about what a hassle our built trucks are makes some roll their eyes I'm sure.

zach_carver

Jan 27, 2013
NORTH GA
So much truth in this thread! And I agree. I tell my wife well after I get these wheels and shocks im done.. well she biught it the first 30 times lol now shes like yea... sure. Now built trans ad2 and now debating turbos traction bars and cognito ucas haha just cant give it up! Been remodeling a house though thats about finished but id try to take it cheaper to just have some money left for the truck. :)

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Can't argue that! I've grown a special place in my heart for him haha. And his truck has come a long way from the time I sarted a thread to have his original name "caspmax" banned for spreading false info lol

Haha I remember the ol caspmax days :rofl:

So much truth in this thread! And I agree. I tell my wife well after I get these wheels and shocks im done.. well she biught it the first 30 times lol now shes like yea... sure. Now built trans ad2 and now debating turbos traction bars and cognito ucas haha just cant give it up! Been remodeling a house though thats about finished but id try to take it cheaper to just have some money left for the truck. :)

Rob from Peter to pay for Paul's habit haha love it.

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
Also, just want to add that if diesel forums and particularly this one did not exist I'd probably be about $10k richer and driving a LBZ with 4" exhaust and Predator Tuner. But what fun would that be??:D